How much time between shots when shooting for groups?

I shoot 3 shot groups with 45 seconds to 1 minute between shots, and usually with weather in the 70's or 60's, it doesn't get any colder here.

This gives me the group I need for when I'm shooting silhouette where you shoot 2 strings of 5 shots each under 2 and a half minutes. Barrels get pretty warm especially in the summer.

"Now I know what to do with those old suspenders...."

And old Venetian blinds!

Doesn't matter to me if I shoot 3, 5 or 10 shot groups...they all gonna be the same...as fast as I can shoot them and maintain control.

I take an infrared thermometer to the range. All my rifles are hunting rifles. I don't have any target rifles any longer.

With the IR thermometer, I take temps after each shot and I never let the barrel get more than 10 deg F. over ambient.

Also, I don't shoot 3 shot groups. Almost always 5 shots minimum, most time 10 shots. Sometimes it takes a while, but I have the patience of a snail.

I also took an IF thermometer to the range and found that 3 minutes between shots worked well for 80 degrees and 4+ minutes for 90 degrees. I use this timing when working up loads. Several of my factory sporter guns have POI shifts on the 5th shot if shot rapidly.

Every rifle is different for me. My Win M70 Featherweight I wait 5 minutes between shots, my 308 Rem Varmint BDL I don't wait ... eject, load and shoot. I let the rifle's purpose and barrel contour dictate how may rounds are in a group and how quickly I shoot them.
This ^ right here, shoot your groups in the fashion the rifle will be shot. No use concentrating on a cold bore with a target rifle, and no use shooting a hunting rifle hot< except a P dog gun.

Now I know what to do with those old suspenders....

YES ! These would be a big hit on California ranges.

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 9.42.45 PM.png

5 shot groups on load development now and I take...my...sweet...time. 3-5 min depending on the time of year. Never more than warm to the touch. As others have said bring two rifles, a pistol, and let's not forget my bow to shoot in between important groups. (Isn't it great how you don't have to wait for a bow to cool down;-) Once I have a decent load i shoot 3 shot groups with no regard to temp cuz that's how I would at an animal. Hopefully i get two more chances if I miss🤞!

I also took an IF thermometer to the range and found that 3 minutes between shots worked well for 80 degrees and 4+ minutes for 90 degrees. I use this timing when working up loads. Several of my factory sporter guns have POI shifts on the 5th shot if shot rapidly.
Never thunk of that. Take regular thermometer with me, fan with tube for chamber etc. Now I will have to get an IF thermometer. They should available in excess and cheap after the current scare/emergency is over. Good shooting and hunting to you.
Tommy

If using an IR thermometer, unless you have a dark colored matte barrel, place a small piece of masking tape as a target for the thermometer. A shiny or reflective surface will give false readings.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.