How much time between shots when shooting for groups?

Bigeclipse

All,

when you are trying to see how a worked up load performs, whether it be 3, 5, or 10 shots, how much time are you taking between shots? Are you lifting your head off the stock? Or do you remain in position to try and keep things consistent such as head position and such?

I use my Labradar as my timer. The screen saver is set up to go off in two minutes of non-use. My shots usually end up around 2 1/2 minutes apart. Seems to not put to much heat in the barrel, probably could go another minute to be safe?

AZ and AK in January are way different.
If it's too hot to hold, it's too hot to shoot.
So when you shoot say a 3 shot group...you will basically shoot....eject, reload, aim...shoot and repeat for the 3 shots...assuming you barrel isn't piping hot?

Yes. Monitoring barrel temp is critical to tight groups, more so with many major rifle mfr barrels. Too hot to hold your hand on is definitely too hot. Also the caliber/load/ambient weather will make a difference in time between shots. I think after a couple of fouling shots on a clean bore, its a good idea to take your time to shoot the next 3. Especially if you are doing load development. If you practice good cheek weld, eye alignment, steadiness, trigger squeeze with no FLINCH, you can tell when your barrel starts throwing a shot because she's too hot... Of course a Too heavy trigger for your comfort makes the others more difficult.

It might take me 2 min to shoot a 5 shot group. Maybe. Likely more like a shot every 15-20 seconds. Most of my rifles are heavy contours, like a m24, or at least a sendero profile. Couple rifles that have 2-3 contour barrels maybe a 3 shot in a minute and a half.

Even at that pace I don't see much velocity variation from shot 1-5, and don't seem to have problems getting some pretty tiny groups.

Have you guys watched a 600 or 1,000 yards BR match?

I was dumfounded at how quickly those fellows shot! As soon as they saw the conditions they wanted, they hammered out 5 rounds almost as quickly as they could work the bolt and trigger. I competed in NRA High Power competition, and was familiar with shooters cranking out their prone shots in a hurry when conditions were right, but in High Power a shooter has to wait for the target to be marked and scored. That's changing these days with electronic targets.

Those long-range BR guys amazed me - essentially it was rapid fire. Not quite, but close. And accurate as all get out.

Regards, Guy

I shoot 5 shot groups in early load development to keep myself honest. I'd say I average a shot per minute. Sometimes I'll wait a bit longer. In load development with increasing charges, you always eat up 15 seconds inspecting the case for pressure signs. Then, there's the sip of coffee, a look in the spotting scope or peeing in the adjacent woods to kill a few more minutes between shots. There's nobody particularly good looking at my range, so I guess checkin' them out is out of the equation, but that's OK. I can't do anything about that anyway.

Last edited:
Have you guys watched a 600 or 1,000 yards BR match?

I was dumfounded at how quickly those fellows shot! As soon as they saw the conditions they wanted, they hammered out 5 rounds almost as quickly as they could work the bolt and trigger. I competed in NRA High Power competition, and was familiar with shooters cranking out their prone shots in a hurry when conditions were right, but in High Power a shooter has to wait for the target to be marked and scored. That's changing these days with electronic targets.

Those long-range BR guys amazed me - essentially it was rapid fire. Not quite, but close. And accurate as all get out.

Regards, Guy
These guys are truly amazing and the tiny groups they shoot! But they are only shooting 5 shots total for score out of an extremely heavy rifle. I agree with others, barrel temp during load development is the determining factor. I usually bring a couple of rifles to shoot. During load development I'll probably shoot one shot every 5 minutes when its really hot, but most of my rifles are a 4 contour or thinner. once I develop a load, I will shoot a few rapid 3-5 shot groups (to simulate follow up shots) just to see what the rifle does with that.

I ask myself this, is the animal going to stand around for 10 minutes while you shoot 3 or 5 shots, probably not haha...Depends on the cartridge, intended use, and how warm it is for me. On average I usually wait a minute between 3 shot groups for big game rifles, and I never do load development in 100 degree weather. In the summer, I'll get out early and quit by the time it reaches 75 degrees. For 223 varmint rifles, I'll do 5 shots in a minute. My 240 WBY I'll let cool 2 minutes between shots just because it seems to warm up so fast. I never keep my head down on the rifle. I single load everything, write my velocity down, resituate my rifle in the bags, etc.

Depends on the rifle. If it's a 308 win, pretty quick. If it was a competition gun, I would think you would want to know how they grouped fast.

If it's a 300 win mag hunting rifle, I try to let it sit a few minutes to cool off between shots (about as long as I can stand it). I get up pace around, spy on the gear the other guys have, etc. I recently started shooting the round robin style. I don't know if it makes a difference or not.

BUT once I find the load, I want to shoot the cold bore and the follow up and fast as possible to ensure they group together, but that is not what you are asking.

All,

when you are trying to see how a worked up load performs, whether it be 3, 5, or 10 shots, how much time are you taking between shots? Are you lifting your head off the stock? Or do you remain in position to try and keep things consistent such as head position and such?

As fast as I can work the bolt. No on lifting my head and yes, I do keep everything in position.

I try to shoot a whole group if the barrel profile will allow. Some of the skinny barrels start stringing after 3-4 shots so shooting a five shot group is pointless.

I will say once I get a hunting rifle tuned, I rarely will shoot over 2 shots at a time. I'm most concerned with where the cold bore shot is going in relationship to my point of aim.

Good luck!

Really depends on the outside temperature and how much powder your cartridge is burning.In cool weather 30'-50's you can usually shoot five before cooling off.I usually take at least two rifles with me in cool weather,so I can shoot one while the other cools off.In hot weather,I usually shoot around three rounds and switch to another rifle while one is cooling off.I take four rifles with me in hot weather and after a few sessions,they get warm and stay warm.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts