How much tension

tayhot

With redding bushings, is it possible to be too loose for lack of a better term? My 338 rum with a dummy round is .366-.365. I have the .364 bushing but when I press the brass it doesn't feel like my my regular dies do. This is my first comp die reloading

With redding bushings, is it possible to be too loose for lack of a better term? My 338 rum with a dummy round is .366-.365. I have the .364 bushing but when I press the brass it doesn't feel like my my regular dies do. This is my first comp die reloading

I often get one thou spring back so your .364 could size to .365

If you are shooting this rifle as a repeater with ammo in a magazine the recoil might cause those bullets to move. I figure you know that too much neck tension might cause accuracy to suffer.

I would seriously consider getting a .363 and a .362 Then shoot the loads to see which one is the most accurate. My RCBS 300 RUM dies make a .003" difference between sized necks and loaded ammo which has worked out perfectly.

Many of the standard dyes are set up to give very tight neck tension for a given caliber. I think they do this because of differences between the brass wall thickness from the manufacturers. This is achieved by sizing the neck down a few thousandths or more smaller, then an expander plug will open it up. This can result in a neck size that is typically tight, depending on the brand of brass you are using. When you go to bushing dyes and use a bushing that is 1-2 thousandths smaller, if feels like you have much less tension. If the bullet doesn't move into the case when pressed hard against a wood surface you are OK. The most important aspect is to have the least amount of tension that holds the bullet tight enough not to move if loaded in a magazine under recoil, and have consistency of tension from bullet to bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.