How much shank to leave on carbon barrel?

sambo3006

What is the minimum length of the steel shank (including the threaded portion) you need to leave on the chamber end of a carbon wrapped barrel? It will be chambered in .264 win mag. I want to make it as light as possible. Minimum steel length on the muzzle end as well?
Thanks!
Sam

How long is it now? I don't shorten a Proof , regularly anyway......
I had a proof sendero chambered in 6.5 x 284 Norma setback once with no problems but I don't know the exact amount my Smith got in contact with proof and they said it would not be a problem in that caliber

Without talking to Chris (frozen fiber) you will not know what angle he used when turning down the barrel blank. He was on FB for a long while, not sure if he is still on there.

shortgrass, it is 29" with about 2" steel shank on each end.
LongBomber, I did a search on Facebook and didn't find him but that was a good suggestion.

I would not cut any off of the shank end, the .264 Win Mag case is about 2 1/2"L. I think you could probably cut off 1 inch from the muzzle end, as designed it probably gives the option of a brake. My advice is worth what you paid for it!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.