How much recoil does a bolt 50 bmg have?

so in return I try to
share what little I know in hopes that it will help others.
J E CUSTOM

J E Custom, I've been the benefactor of your help on a number of times and want to let you and others that read here know that I appreciate your advice, answers and polite manner. Thank you. IMHO I think you deserve to give yourself more credit than saying "what little you know" as I think you are a wealth of knowledge here. Take care.

J E Custom, I've been the benefactor of your help on a number of times and want to let you and others that read here know that I appreciate your advice, answers and polite manner. Thank you. IMHO I think you deserve to give yourself more credit than saying "what little you know" as I think you are a wealth of knowledge here. Take care.

+1 Here, here

Tank

I have a bushmaster 50BA and the recoil is very manageable. You could shoot it all day long if you could afford the ammo!!! I would compare the recoil to a .243 win maybe even less.

pope2d, How is the recoil reduced that much? Obviously a brake but, what else is it a colt 50 or semi and how heavy?

Well the gun weighs 40 lbs unloaded, so its heavy. The weight takes away recoil and also makes it very steady and easy to shoot, this gun is a tack driver. The bushmaster comes with a limbsaver butt pad that helps alot too. The muzzle break takes a lot of recoil away as well but at the same time makes it loud...obviously. Finally you have to remember that you shoot these guns from the ground, not shoulder mount. The gun really does not kick at all, like I said, I would compare it to the .243 or a twenty gauge shotgun. the semi absorbs some of the recoil in the action, but they both have about the same recoil, I have shot a barret semi, but didn't buy one because they didn't seem to be as accurate.

40 pounds, limbsaver, brake and semi...add them all up and I guess it would be pretty tame. Kinda figured it had to be heavy and a semi too. Thanks for responding, sounds like it's a shooter. Enjoy.

I have a 30" Bohica 50BMG upper for a AR with a big brake and the first trip out I shot it 39 times. Your brake makes all the difference. I just got a down sized clamshell 50-BMG style brake pIut on a new 338 Rem. Ultra Mag bolt gun that has a #5 profile Lilgi barrel and is a Huntable weight. I'm shooting it in the morning. The brake came from boys50bmgatr.com you can scroll down and see the after market brakes. It sure looks like it will work good. I'm new, but if I knew how to post a pic, I would.

knc1105, I checked out the boys50bmgatr.com website, pretty neat. Lots of great pics, it a miracle what they were able to do to restore the MK1. Check out the brakes too. Thanks for posting.

I shot my new 338 Rem. Ultra Mag today with the new brake. I haven't weighed it yet but would guess less 11-11-1/2 lbs. with that brake it kicked like a 243 at best. I had loads to try and shot 45 rds and it was pleasent and fun to shoot. Your brake is your friend, wear your ear protection and have fun shooting. My 50 BMG Bohica upper with HOT 750 A-Max loads kicks like a regular 7mag.

I can not tell you the technical side of it but it looks like that has all ready been covered. I own an AR50 I shoot it and even with the 750 gr match rounds it is very pleasant to shoot if you are the shooter on lookers on the other hand if they are to close well not so pleasant. My girl friend shoots it and giggles every time , she loves the rifle. Not to be crude but I think she gets more pleasure from the AR50 than she does me if you know what I mean. I had the chance to shoot an EDM and even with ball rounds it was very uncomfortable to shoot and after about 5 or 6 round I was done and hurt for several days. If you are looking to purchase a 50BMG I suggest you do your home work. I would recommend the AR50 but would pass on the EDM. I have had no other experience with any other 50. I have seen the Styre and the muzzle break was a bit smaller than the AR the EDM was very small. Good Luck Hunting

300px-Machine_gun_M2_1.jpg
My 50 BMG has less felt recoil than any other weapon that I own, I could shoot it all day long if i could afford the ammo. No muzzle brake either. It is a bit heavy though.... :D

Last edited:
from what ive heard and seen on TV the barrett M107 and 82 models have a kick 3x stronger than that of a 12 gauge magnum. a soldier on a documentary i watched said his shoulder was very sore after firing 25-30 shots from a barret M82 .50BMG. the big fifty is not for the faint of heart. if you're going to fire a .50BMG rifle be sure to have something between you and the gun stock. even with the barrets factory made kick pad its not enough. and to tell y'all right now the barret doesn't have the strongest recoil, the .700 nitro express T-rex rifle kicks so hard that its sends the user flying back 4-5 feet and often loses grip and the rifle making the gun fly right up out their hands

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.