How much recoil does a bolt 50 bmg have?

Assuming J E Custom 50% reduction with brake, taking recoil down to a little less than 70 ft/lbs, does anyone have a guess at what the recoil velocity would be? I'm assuming the brake must make a significant reduction in recoil velocity in order for it to be manageable cause for me the 70 ft/lbs at a decent velocity wouldn't be fun.

Any break is going to reduce recoil, just some work more than others. The ones that seem to work the best are those that are angled toward the shooter and large ports. This has it own downside because it forces all the pressure on to the shooter, but recoil is minimal. The clam shell break from Armalite has been proven to be very effective as also the Barrett and the large APS break from Kirby. All are large with large ports producing maximum recoil reduction. Some guys that build 50's that don't know about other large breaks use the Armalite break.

Tank

liltank, thanks for responding. What I'm wondering: Is the approx. 70 ft/lbs manageable because the brake has tamed the recoil velocity down appreciably. I'm thinking it must have and was wondering down to what ft/sec. So for example a brake that reduces recoil by 50% would it also reduce recoil velocity by roughly 50%? Is that how the 70 ft/lbs becomes manageable?

Who uses a 45" barrel for load testing? That's just ludicrous. I can guarantee that there are absolutely zero sniper rifles on the battle field sporting a 45" bore.

Tank

Tank.

I was puzzled buy this also and did some more research in to the 45" test barrel
and found out that the 50 Browning machine gun (Ma Deuce) is the length of the
Machine gun barrel and thus the test loads are for that gun for the military.

So with a 29' barrel I cant expect to get the same velocities with the factory loads or with
the reloads . and I don't know what velocity loss for a shorter barrel so It remains to be
seen what velocities I will get,

Unlike the bolt rifles I have to stay withen the limits of bolt operation on the semi auto.

It would help to hear more from the 50 shooters on there loads and barrel lengths also
the velocities they get.

Thanks
J E CUSTOM

Recoil velocity is gonna be different with the BMG than most other rounds because of the mass of both the gun bullet and slow burning powder. More like being punched in the shoulder vrs the slap you get from a light hunting gun.
To me the Berret 82A1 has a recoil equal to a 12 guage shootin 3" shells, maybe a little less. The recoil from an AR50 is about the same...Specialy off a bench. The blast back to the shooter is bad enough to give some a nosebleed and I prefered to put ear plugs in my nose to keep my sinuses happy:D
The big fishgill brakes on the States Arms also does a nice job of tameing the recoil to about 12guage levels. The States Arms that I used to own just had radial holes cut into the barrel, NOT GOOD!! Shooting prone it would push the 36# gun and my 250# frame back roughly 1½" with every pull of the trigger. Had Sam cut the holes off the end of the barrel and put one of his anti-tourque brakes on it, It helped but was no where near a 50% reduction.
The States Arms 375BMG had a fish-gill brake on it and between the better brake, less bullet weight and added velocity it was actually easier on the shoulder than my sporter weight 7mag.

Tank.

I was puzzled buy this also and did some more research in to the 45" test barrel
and found out that the 50 Browning machine gun (Ma Deuce) is the length of the
Machine gun barrel and thus the test loads are for that gun for the military.

So with a 29' barrel I cant expect to get the same velocities with the factory loads or with
the reloads . and I don't know what velocity loss for a shorter barrel so It remains to be
seen what velocities I will get,

Unlike the bolt rifles I have to stay withen the limits of bolt operation on the semi auto.

It would help to hear more from the 50 shooters on there loads and barrel lengths also
the velocities they get.

Thanks
J E CUSTOM

Yeah, I know what those barrels are all about. I had to carry two M2 barrels plus the receiver up to the armory. It was uphill the whole way about 300yrds. I almost dropped the stuff on the way up. That was about 80lbs without the tripod. Luckily it mounted on my recovery track and not the tripod. They tried to make me take it, but I refused. No purpose in carrying unwanted gear.

Tank

Back to the discussion at hand, my 45-120 has a bit over 70 ft lbs, and compared to the 50's I have shot, there is NO WHERE near 70 ft lbs of recoil. That's a large amount, about like a 458 Lott. You don't shoot that prone.

Back to the discussion at hand, my 45-120 has a bit over 70 ft lbs, and compared to the 50's I have shot, there is NO WHERE near 70 ft lbs of recoil. That's a large amount, about like a 458 Lott. You don't shoot that prone.

45-120 hits that hard? Do you use smokeless or black powder?

Tank

Remember. the 50BMGs normally weighs 25+ pounds and most all have breaks.

I also have a 45 120 with a 34" barrel and using a 620 gr cast bullet loaded with
109grs Of triple 7 (Compressed) it does have quite a bit of recoil but the recoil velocity
(Felt recoil) is higher than the 50 because of weight.

So even if the two rifles have the same recoil the lighter one will have more recoil velocity .

J E CUSTOM

70 ft lbs @ 13 recoiling fps is different from 70 ft lbs @ 30 fps .still either one is easy to shoot

70 ft lbs @ 30 fps .still either one is easy to shoot

God Bless, glad it's not me. More power to ya.

most range from 17lb to 45lb, gun weight..

my 1st 50 was 16lb, it kicked like 3.5" 12ga slug

my new gun is about 22lb's its more like a 2 3/4 12 slug

most atre like this or less, i let my 10 year old nephew shoot mine..

I shoot smokeless in mine, 500's at 2250 fps, and 405's at 2550 fps. 460 might think that's easy to shoot, but trying to shoot that accurately from prone (a situation with a light 50 bmg) is gonna be torture more than anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.