How much neck tension for hunting loads?

Well, I run the neck tension that gets the best accuracy.
For example, my 300WM in my Kimber 8400 likes .0015" with 180gr Accubonds, but needs .003" with the 200gr Accubond.
My Sendero II in 300WM likes .003" with 210gr ABLR. My LR likes .0035" with the same bullet.

Cheers.
I sometimes have to admit that I have probably forgotten more than I know. Your response just reminded me one thing I missed checking when I was trying to dial 210 AccubondLR loads for my 300RUM. It shoots 5 shot groups with 200gr Accubonds at .232 but it took me forever to get the 210's under. 906.
Today, after experimenting with loads of various neck tension I was able to put 5 shots into a .301 group. Now I need to try trimming the powder to see if I can get it into the 2's.
Thanks again for ringing my memory clock and thanks even more for this wonderful site and you great folks who are willing and so giving of your information. This is what makes this site the best place possible for everyone who needs opinions and help from those who have experienced what others have not.

I have often wondered if seating a bullet deeper or closer to the lands has to do with how far off the lands it is or more or less "grip" on the bullet.
I guess I need to clarify a little, for accuracy sake was it the distance to the lands or grip that made it shoot better or worse.

I use a 1 thou Wilson mandrel, and I always get a little spring back. One thing I always do is mix finger nail polish and acetone then using a syringe to put a little around my bullet and primer. It helps with moisture, and keep that bullet in place.
Moose, I agree with the sealant around the primer - especially in a hunting setting that could include weather/wetness conditions that could be hostile to loaded rounds. I wonder what the effect of having this sealant placed around the neck/bullet has on accuracy and repeatability as you are introducing foreign matter directly into the throat and bore.

Have you experienced problems with accuracy (or other unintentional issues?) by ringing your loaded rounds with your sealant combo?

I sometimes have to admit that I have probably forgotten more than I know. Your response just reminded me one thing I missed checking when I was trying to dial 210 AccubondLR loads for my 300RUM. It shoots 5 shot groups with 200gr Accubonds at .232 but it took me forever to get the 210's under. 906.
Today, after experimenting with loads of various neck tension I was able to put 5 shots into a .301 group. Now I need to try trimming the powder to see if I can get it into the 2's.
Thanks again for ringing my memory clock and thanks even more for this wonderful site and you great folks who are willing and so giving of your information. This is what makes this site the best place possible for everyone who needs opinions and help from those who have experienced what others have not.
What range of neck tension did you play with? Did any bullets have seating marks? Neck thickness? Did anything shoot better/worse?

What range of neck tension did you play with? Did any bullets have seating marks? Neck thickness? Did anything shoot better/worse?
I used 21st Century expander mandrel dies and Redding colletts in my Redding die. On my loads with my 300RUM and 210 LR Accubond bullets, I went with 0.0025 inch with the expander dies after first using 0.003 with my Redding colletts as I bought the expander dies later on. Make sure that you are using the same brass as wall thicknesses changes everything. I am strictly using Nosler brass. Good luck and hope this helps you. I now have a range of 5 thousandths in. 308
You can't go by what I am doing because of how far back you are seating your bullets and what your barrel prefers. I started with my colletts which only go to 0.004 in 1/1000 increments. After I purchased the set of 21st Century expanders I could go in 1/500 increments from 0.001-0.005. I'm not sure if they still have this option available anymore.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts