how much MOA for 5" at 200yds?

western

I'm new at this and first post. I am right 5 inches at 200yds. so how much should i turn to go left 5 inches at 200yds? leupold freedom 3-9 scope
thanks

Attachments

• R0010033.JPG
    R0010033.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 42
Each click will give you about 1/2 inch @ 200 yards . I generally try one click less than the math and you may have to hold left or right of the target when you get out to longer distances if you're really trying to split hairs

Hi Western.

You multiply your click value by yardage. But just do 2 for your 200.

So 1/4 x 1(00) = 1/4 inch
1/4 x 2(00) = 1/2 inch
1/4 x 4(00) = 1 inch
Etc.

However, if you have a scope that has hash marks or similar, and you can measure in MOA on your reticle, that is the best way to do it, and forgot "inches". In your example, if you looked through your scope at your 200 yard target and could see that your group was 2.5 moa (which it is), then you just dial your turret 2.5 moa (10 clicks).

I realize your scope reticles may not be capable of this (thinking duplex style), but hopefully as you progress and your scopes progress as well, this will help how you think about measurements.

If that didn't make sense, let me know. I feel like it came out kind of clunky...

Basically, it's easier to measure and dial in corresponding units, vs trying to convert inches to moa or mills, etc. Just get your measurement (if possible) in MOA, and dial accordingly since your scope is already marked in MOA 😊

If the math is too much, and your rest is stable, you could always dial the windage while looking through the scope and put the crosshairs between those two shots. It is good to know MOA and inch relationship at some point though.

Easy way to understand MOA is:

1 MOA = 1" at 100yds, 2" at 200yds, 3" at 300yds and so on. You have 4 clicks per MOA on a 1/4 click dial. That is how the 10 clicks is calculated for 5" movement at 200yds as stated above.