How much magnification for 1000 yd. deer hunt

Lazerus

Just had a 6.5 284 Norma built on a Tikka T3 action 28inch Burrox barrel. I want to hunt deer out to 1000 yards. How much magnification do i need? Thinking about Nikkon Monarch 4-16. This thing is I will have to be able to take close up shots too. Also, wouldn't mind going with 4.5-14. Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks! Posted this same question in the Extreme Long range, but I guess that might have been the wrong forum...

That will suffice for magnification, but might I suggest consider a better quality scope for thousand yard shooting.
The Nikon glass is probably good enough, but the one Nikon Monarch I had would not return to zero, nor were the turrets a true .25 MOA. That was only a sample of one, but I have had no problems with Nightforce scopes, nor the single Schmidt Bender I am also using. Turret function has been flawless and all have been precisely a quarter MOA with these scopes.
Most of the other brands of scopes I have used did not possess the precision turrets necessary for long range shooting. I had one, out of three, Zeiss Conquest scope that was this good, and I still have an old IOR that has good turrets.
I've spent enough on scopes that disappointed, to have purchased better scope at the outset, and saved myself a lot of frustration and money.
My $.02.

I also prefer a little more power for deer at 1000 yards with 5 or 6x on the low end and 20-22x on the high end. I started out with a Leupold 4.5x14 MK4 that worked fine out to 700 yards or so but found the extra power was an advantage at the longer ranges particularly when the animal is in or near brushy or wooded terrain which always seems to be the case with deer. I have had good success with the Nightforce, Leupold MK4, and Huskemaw scopes. My buddy also had some issues with the Nikon's turret performance.

A lot of people recommend scopes in the 14 too 16x range -i have laid my 4.5x14-44 conquest on quiet a bit of game just to watch them and see what a shot would look like.Even w/the fine resolution of the zeiess -it would be all but impossible for me to really hone in on a shot square behind the shoulder -just not enough power for me.
A 6.5x20-50 conquest is WAY better at 1oooyds -imo-.
Plus they come in very handy when doing load developement and longrange target work.
6.5x is easy to use once you get out to 1ooyds. -if you will be getting closer shots than 1ooyds. -go w/the 4x16 or 4.5x14 etc..

I have a 4-16 pst vortex on my hunting rifle. out to 600 yards or so it is the ticket. But on a deer that is around brush or a tree line I want more magnification. In ga I only have 530 yards max so its perfect. But when I go to MO I have another rifle with a nightforce 5.5-22 on it. Having that extra at the longer distances realy does help IMO.

I went from a VXIII 4.5 x14 x 40 to a Sightron SIII 6 x 24 x 50 and have not regretted it
Great scope excellent adjustments always returns to zero

A deer at 1000yds in low light, hum....I would opt for the 6.5-20X variables. My eyes aren't the best in the world and if I can't see it, I know I can't hit it. JohnnyK.

A deer at 1000yds in low light, hum....I would opt for the 6.5-20X variables. My eyes aren't the best in the world and if I can't see it, I know I can't hit it. JohnnyK.

Not trying to start anything, but if you are talking low light doesn't a higher magnification work against you? I'm refering to the exit pupil. I was watching some deer right in the last seconds of light this past evening and had to turn the power down to distinguish buck from doe.

l absolutly adore my nsx 8x32-56 :=)) for any range. and my dad loves his zeis victory davari 6x24-56 :=))) my friend sold his schimdit to get a nsx 12x42-56 hahahaha

Not trying to start anything, but if you are talking low light doesn't a higher magnification work against you? I'm refering to the exit pupil. I was watching some deer right in the last seconds of light this past evening and had to turn the power down to distinguish buck from doe.

yes m8 it does work against you alot. as l hunt at eavenings all the time. but a good quality german scope alwasys saves the day for you :) sawarowski . zeiss. nsx isnt to bad either. but all scopes lm on about are 56 s and there is also a 6-24 70 for the zeiss :O fantastic for those times of day lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.