How much Energy is needed to take an hog ?

Human kill something that carries a 1000 foot pounds of energy at the distance you are shooting a 100 yards or to 500 yards. Sad to let an animal suffer any kind of animal.......

I think 1,000 ft. lb of energy on impact is good, but I also see that if the bullet simply blows thru the animal, it's a waste of energy. A generic 30-30 will put them down just as well as a 30-06 when it's all said & done. I still will always go for the big fat bullet going slow enough that it will not exit the body very much at all.
gary

You all are so lucky that you have all these hogs to shoot! I'm stationed in CA and everyone here wants to charge out the *** just to get one hog! The public land gets hunted hard and the private land owners charge $500 - $700 for a hog. I need to move to TX!!! LOL

What ever a Barnes 223 is below the ear. I would take my 45/70 the best hog gun.

You all are so lucky that you have all these hogs to shoot! I'm stationed in CA and everyone here wants to charge out the *** just to get one hog! The public land gets hunted hard and the private land owners charge $500 - $700 for a hog. I need to move to TX!!! LOL

It,s alot of fun at first, and then you watch your land get destroyed by these pest. East Tennessee is covered in hogs, and they are spreading to the western part of Tennessee fast. On my 2200 acre lease we have killed over 300 hogs in the past 3 years. mostly with AR,s 223, 308, 25.06 and 270WSM. they all do the job, mostly head shots over bait with night vision.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.