How much elevation travel for a mile

While you mention Valdada...op could just buy the 0-200 MOA BASES they recently brought to market for 399.00....and save 2200.00...just me...I just ordered one Friday...lol
Yes you could if you wanted to carry all that weight and have all that bulk on your rifle. I guess if your a bench rest shooter that would be fine. Weight really wouldn't be an issue. I hunt with my guns so I try to keep the weight down to something respectable.

Yes you could if you wanted to carry all that weight and have all that bulk on your rifle. I guess if your a bench rest shooter that would be fine. Weight really wouldn't be an issue. I hunt with my guns so I try to keep the weight down to something respectable.
Man is asking for how much elevation to SHOOT 1 MILE!!!! I don't think he's planning to FREE HAND that shot so i don't imagine weight is a factor either 😜

I bought a 338 Edge for the specific purpose of practicing to shoot a mile. I have shot out to 1000 yards in the past but decided to challenge myself to shoot a mile.

I am thinking about buying one of the leftover 8.5-25x50 Leupold Mark 4's that are still waiting to be sold these days. Only problem is that it only has 75 MOA of elevation travel.

My question is, is that enough for me to shoot a mile? My calculations tell me I am gonna need 60-67ish MOA depending on a lot of factors. My question is will I be able to find the right combo with rail since I will be using a large percentage of the elevation? Doesn't leave much room for error.

Also, if you are someone using a scope like this for this purpose, how many MOA rail are you using? My gun had a 40 MOA when I bought it, but I am pretty sure that won't work for this scope. It would have to be a NF for the 40 MOA to work.

Thanks for your help.
I shoot a 338 lapua with a Lehigh 245 match bullet going 3100 FPS at muzzle bullet has a b.c. Of 9.00 only takes 41 MOA with a 300 yard zero did this with a night force Nxs 5.5x22 power that scope had 120 moa of elevation rifle has a BAT action with 20 moa built in rail

my 338 lapua , 2939 FPS , 300 gr Berger , 100 yard zero , 1750 yards needs about 53 moa elevation .

I've got the mount Skip is talking about . I have it mounted up , but I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet . if things go as I have planed , I'll be 2 miles this summer . I'll be interested in how you make out Skip ,. keep us in the loop .

Attachments

• P2120026.JPG
    P2120026.JPG
    992 KB · Views: 89
  • P1170982.JPG
    P1170982.JPG
    240.8 KB · Views: 78
  • P2120027.JPG
    P2120027.JPG
    972.8 KB · Views: 85
my 338 lapua , 2939 FPS , 300 gr Berger , 100 yard zero , 1750 yards needs about 53 moa elevation .

I've got the mount Skip is talking about . I have it mounted up , but I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet . if things go as I have planed , I'll be 2 miles this summer . I'll be interested in how you make out Skip ,. keep us in the loop .
Well done and you do the same....best of luck!

Side question.

The NF I bought has a 56mm objective. With the 40 MOA base, am I looking at medium or high rings for this setup?

I'm using nightforce medium ultralight rings . I have a 8-32x56 NXS . it is close but enough gap . there could be difference in our rail thickness too . if you have everything except the rings , I'd do some measuring . you can stack pennies on the rail to get the needed height , then measure the stack of pennies , and get that ring height .

Attachments

• P6210901.JPG
    P6210901.JPG
    356.7 KB · Views: 65
I'm using nightforce medium ultralight rings . I have a 8-32x56 NXS . it is close but enough gap . there could be difference in our rail thickness too . if you have everything except the rings , I'd do some measuring . you can stack pennies on the rail to get the needed height , then measure the stack of pennies , and get that ring height .
How many MOA is your rail?

Man is asking for how much elevation to SHOOT 1 MILE!!!! I don't think he's planning to FREE HAND that shot so i don't imagine weight is a factor either 😜
Yep he sure did ask that question. Different calibers will make a big difference in the elevation also.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts