How much does rifle weight affect/effect consistent shot making

In therory you could build a few rifles and shoot them in a machine rest and develop a hit percentage formula to quanitfy to some degree the pre human operator specs. You would also have to determine the difference between static weight, like stock full of lead, vs weight with build components.

In therory you could build a few rifles and shoot them in a machine rest and develop a hit percentage formula to quanitfy to some degree the pre human operator specs. You would also have to determine the difference between static weight, like stock full of lead, vs weight with build components.
And let the rifle free recoil...

I find minor things like heart beat to show up in rifles under 12 lbs. Particularly in a hunting situation.

Maybe a formula like 100y per pound of rifle.
So if I keep shots at 100yards, I'm good to go with a 1 lb rifle? ;-)
I agree probably start at 5 or 6lbs...

Good thread, my lr rifles all seem to weigh 13lbs give or take .5lb.
I find the standard cartridges easy to shoot at this weight but my 300wby slinging 212gr bullets is on the edge of too light for me to be as consistent with it as the other rifles.
I suppose a person could get one of the. Chassis with weights and play with different weights on a given rifle, finding the balance of ideal weight

OUR "sweet spot" for, a carrying a Hunting Rifle, Miles and Miles into, the Back Country and shooting Big Game, to 750 yards, weigh, 7.5 to 7 3/4 Pounds. We practice a lot, on 10"-11" dia. steel plates and shoot in the Wind regularly, thru-out, spring & summer. My son makes, custom Turret "Tapes" so we can "DiaL" for Range's on, our 4-14X scopes, in 25 yard increments and we "Validate" the Bullet BC drop, for our hand loads. Both our Rifle's easily do, Sub MOA, IF we do our part. We shoot over "Sticks" to 400 yds and Prone over Packs, past 400. If wanting to shoot past 800 yards + get,.. a big heavy Rifle as stated by others. I'm not an expert on that subject, but my son was hitting, an 8" Pie plates regularly, at 1,000 yd's prone, in the "Field" with, his 10 1/2 pound, .300 WSM, w/ Horn ELD's, 212 grainer's. He gave up on the heavier Rifle for, a 7mm-08, Tikka, T3X @ 7.5 pounds (didn't like the Recoil, as gun was, UN Braked ). Shot a NICE, fat 6X6 Bull here in Idaho. He and grandson Bivy Hunted, 2.5 Miles from a road, shot the Elk at, only 250 Yards. It took them, all day to get Camp gear, Tent's, Rifle, Packs, Bino's, Rack and Elk meat out, in 2 trip's, a total of, 10 Miles !,.. WHY, carry "more" ???

Last edited:
And let the rifle free recoil...

I like this post because when I improved my shooting with my light magnums, by adding a good recoil pad, I found that as long as you securely hold your rifle and have a scope with good eye relief, face it, any rifle is going to jump. So keep the crosshairs on and let that thing jump right into the recoil pad. The eye relief of better scopes will give more confidence that the possibility of scope kiss is minimized and once you're comfortable with the jump, your sensitivity to recoil is also minimized. My opinion is that a heavier gun will be a more stable base to shoot from, but I find no more accuracy or precision due to weight alone.

I'm so old and worn out I don't walk-stalk much, except behind the house where shot ranges are maxed out a couple 100 yards and total round trip hike is maybe 1 mile and a half... For that I carry a 9 pound rifle.

For my more serious stuff I shoot only from "hides" and pack the stuff in horse back.

Idaho big game regs say no heavier than 16 pounds with any/all attachments. Thus no sling or hard mounted bipod. The Big Gurl is right at 15.98 pounds without a loaded chamber.

Pushing a 411 grain Hammer Hunter at least at 3025 FPS MV. Very comfy shooting and can spot all shots. Shortest shooting distance will be on the order of 550-600 yards depending on which "hide" I'm at. Longest distance has yet to be determined.:)

So how far does Steve's formula say I can shoot?

The only thing I carry while afoot is the Sig LRF...

So,

I'm so old and worn out I don't walk-stalk much, except behind the house where shot ranges are maxed out a couple 100 yards and total round trip hike is maybe 1 mile and a half... For that I carry a 9 pound rifle.

For my more serious stuff I shoot only from "hides" and pack the stuff in horse back.

Idaho big game regs say no heavier than 16 pounds with any/all attachments. Thus no sling or hard mounted bipod. The Big Gurl is right at 15.98 pounds without a loaded chamber.

Pushing a 411 grain Hammer Hunter at least at 3025 FPS MV. Very comfy shooting and can spot all shots. Shortest shooting distance will be on the order of 550-600 yards depending on which "hide" I'm at. Longest distance has yet to be determined.:)

So how far does Steve's formula say I can shoot?

The only thing I carry while afoot is the Sig LRF...

So,
Well Roy, according to my formula that I pulled right out of..., anyway you should be good to 1598y. If you range one at 1600y you better move up! Hahaha!

300-Win-Mag-3.jpg
As another old guy I ride my rifle on my Grizzly so weight isn't an issue.
i like heavy rifles. My 300 WM has a A-5 sniper filled stock with a 26" MTU taper barrel.
With glass and a full mag. bi-pod sling it's probably 20 pounds or so?
And it feels like shooting a .243!

I have played around with rifle weight quite a bit and and find that the shooting characteristics are largely based on the barrels contribution to overall weight. For example, a ten pound rifle that has 4-5 pounds of scope/mounts with a sporter barrel will shoot differently from a rifle of the same total weight of a rifle with 2-3 pounds of the same with a sendaro contour. IMO, the barrel weight largely accounts for the benefits of shooting stability. The trade-off is the foreword balance of the rifle which can be awkward for carry and be problematic for off-hand shooting. My preferred set up for long range carry/hunting, that is practical for my physical stature starts with a 26' barrel, Light Palma(.77" muzzle OD) for 6.5 cal, or a Varmint/sendaro(.81" muzzle OD) for my .30's. The caliber size(hole) will change spec'd weight of the barrel. Both run about 4.25-4.5# depending on muzzle brake/fluting, etc. Add 2.5# for stock/bottom metal, 2.5# for the action, and 2.5# for the scope/mounts, and I'm at 12# give or take , for a +1000 yard shooter that has decent balance, is easy for me to carry, spot hits, and make very consistent and precise shots at long range. I have experienced that it will also maintain accuracy with multiple shots if desired for practice or hot LR coyote action.

I like long and heavy. 2 of my hunting rifles are 18 lb. I do have a 7 lb 243 I use for thick areas and short range <400. The heavie rifles get used the most

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.