How much does rain affect accuracy?

linksmechanic

I guess I've never shot at the range before in the rain. I had 2 guns with me and my accuracy was terrible along with my grouping. If I had to guess I would say that rain would deflect the bullet's path to some degree.

I am not sure if your post is meant as more of a question or a comment....??

I suppose lots of water collecting in the flutes of a barrel could change harmonics of the barrel and affect POI and consistency.

Other than that, I personally have never seen my zero (300 yard) change during a rain storm. I have never detected a POI change in the range at any distance in the rain. Nor any accuracy impacts (abnormal or unexplained major group changes). The only differences I have been able to see are the pressure, humidity and tempratures associated with the storm. So long as I compensated for the current conditions properly, things have been spot on. If anything I shoot a bit better in a slight rain because the air is cool and the sun is hiding. This all but eliminates any mirage and is easier to shoot better groups. A little rain is a good thing (IMHO) where a heavy rain makes visibility difficult and water gets all over your lenses.

I have shot precision rifles an the range many times. The rifle range has a full overhang so the issue of water on the rifle or optics did not present itself. At 200 yds I have never noticed a change in group size or POI which I would attribute to the rain.

It doesn't....
Agreed.

I have shot many long range matches in rain, sometimes so bad it's hard to see that target, and not only does it have no effect on my drop, but it's easier to see the wind, and there is no mirage. I've shot some of my best 1,000 yard scores in the rain.

Agreed.

I have shot many long range matches in rain, sometimes so bad it's hard to see that target, and not only does it have no effect on my drop, but it's easier to see the wind, and there is no mirage. I've shot some of my best 1,000 yard scores in the rain.

eshell - I was at that recent f-class match at Quantico when it poured down rain. I did some of my best shooting at 900 yards in a downpour. At one point I shot a 2" three shot group as the range officer twice called "you hit the spotter"

for the original poster, rain has little effect on accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.