How Much Does it Cost...

Misfire

per round to load some of the upper echelon chamberings?

I'm curious because I have the opportunity to pick up an abused Prairie Gun Works M15ti chambered in 7.21 Tomohawk (misspelled on the barrel) for a great price. The first thing I considered was the cost per round. I was surprised to see that it costs more than 5 bucks a round to shoot factory loadings and reloading isn't much cheaper. Dies were $200.00 and brass is $50.00 for 20 rounds. If I choose to reload I'd spend $300.00 on ammo before I ever got a chance to see if the thing can shoot. The "cheap" way of finding out if the gun can shoot is at least 100 bucks for a box of factory rounds and that may or may not tell you if the gun can shoot. I could spend a fortune trying different factory options until I found one the gun likes.

That got me to thinking.. What is the average cost per round for some of the popular large caliber rounds some of you are throwing down range?

Here is a short and generic list so please feel free to add whatever you are shooting. I'm just curious to know what it will cost if I ever "upgrade" from my 7mm mag or .300WM.

.338 Laupa
.338 Edge
.338 RUM
.50 BMG
.300 Allen
Etc..

Hmmm 300 RUM

Here is my cost for components:

Primer: .03 each - Federal GM215M
Powder: 0.30 per round for Retumbo
Case: 0.20 (assuming I can get five reloadings, my cases are a $1 each - Nosler brass)
Bullet: 0.45 ea for 220 SMK

Grand total: just shy of $1 per round.... this of course doesn't include the cost of the dies, the reloading specialty tools, the cleaning stuff, the range fee, the gas to get to the range, the rifle....lol you get the idea. And I wonder why people dont get interested in shooting anymore...

I am interested to see how the Allen Mags break down, probably pretty close. I chose the RUM because of factory availablity of components, ease of getting dies, etc.

EZ

Geez,you guys in the states have got it made!
Here in Down Under land, my brass alone for any of my Weatherby rounds (270,300,340 and 375) cost around $200-$250 for 100.Then there's bullets that all cost over $1 each.Powder costs upwards of .70c per round,and I'm talking about standard rounds like the 300WM, 338WM, 270,25-06 or 338-06,thet're just as expensive here.Example,one box of Nosler .375 260gr Accubonds cost $75.00,one box of Nosler .257 120gr Partitions cost $65.00.
Who wants to buy brass over there and ship it me through the mail?
Let me know!
MagnumManiac :mad:
gun)

Geez,you guys in the states have got it made!
Here in Down Under land, my brass alone for any of my Weatherby rounds (270,300,340 and 375) cost around $200-$250 for 100.Then there's bullets that all cost over $1 each.Powder costs upwards of .70c per round,and I'm talking about standard rounds like the 300WM, 338WM, 270,25-06 or 338-06,thet're just as expensive here.Example,one box of Nosler .375 260gr Accubonds cost $75.00,one box of Nosler .257 120gr Partitions cost $65.00.
Who wants to buy brass over there and ship it me through the mail?
Let me know!
MagnumManiac :mad:
gun)

Do you think there is a motive behind the pricing madness in your country?

I know this is an old post but it sounds like I'm a cheapskate. I'm loading .300RUM with nosler 180gr accubonds 2nds from shooters pro shop over IMR4350 & fed primers for $11 a box of 20. Already got the brass though.
Skip

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.