How much does humidity really affect ballistics?

Alan Griffith

I have a Kestrel 2500. Really enjoy it. Am wondering if going to a Kestrel 3000 w/ humidity function will really make a difference in 600 yd to 1500 yd shots?

I hunt in the west from 4500' to 11000' with a 30 cal, .507 bc, doing 3000-3050 fps.

Just about zilch. Benchrest shooters who load at the range watch it because it can change the thrown weight of volume type powder throwers and push you out of "tune" but it hardly makes any difference on exterior ballistics.

What if?

I would suppose zilch means I don't need to worry about %Hum when shooting a big game @ LR.

What about chuck's and the small stuff?

Not an expert by any means, but I think that drop will increase by less than 2 inches. Assuming sight in @ 70% and actual conditions are 10% humidity @ 1000 yards. Seems like the least of your worries.....unless that last 2 inches make or break the shot location.

edge.

It is tough to put a value on humidity only. If you go into a program and only change the humidity it will make almost no difference, however it is a lesser but key component of barometric pressure and BP will have a fair amount of affect on flight. Like with all conditions it depends on distance as to how important any of it is.

It's one of those things that is similar to some steps we go through in the case prep and reloading process. When I turn my Kestrel and Palm on it only takes me a few seconds to enter the humidity so I do it. I agree that for all practical purposes it's a non-issue but my feeble little brain likes to control everything I can, and a few seconds spent keeps my subconscious happy, and that keeps my anal side happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If your meter doesn't have it, don't sweat it. At most ranges and under most conditions you can forget it. If you like controlling everything you can to eliminate all variables for that looooong range shot........then use it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
It's one of those things that is similar to some steps we go through in the case prep and reloading process. When I turn my Kestrel and Palm on it only takes me a few seconds to enter the humidity so I do it. I agree that for all practical purposes it's a non-issue but my feeble little brain likes to control everything I can, and a few seconds spent keeps my subconscious happy, and that keeps my anal side happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Well, if obvious none of you have any stock shares in Kestrel! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Guess I'll keep my 2500.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL, I love my Kestrel 4000, and use the "Density Altitude" function to replace worrying asbout RH, Temp and absolute Altitude.

Humidity effects the flight of the bullet 1/10th of 1%; or roughly 1/100th of an inch at 1000 yards.
However, if the shooter is in a Hot and Humid environment, (100° F + 100% humidity) the velocity of the bullet will increase. This is due to the fact that water molecules are lighter than air molecules.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.