How much bullet release is enough?

Gunpowder

I've got a new to me 22-6mm. It had a couple issues I'm working through with bedding, but in examining the ammo I noticed that a bullet will barely slip into a fired case. Measurements indicate about 2 thousandths difference between a loaded round and fired brass.

Is this enough or do I need to turn necks in your opinion to get the best accuracy it's capable of?

I like .004 clearance personally.
Remember brass has spring back also, only one way to know if more clearance is better and that is turn some necks and test.

Last edited:
You don't mention how you arrived at the measurement or how thick your necks are, but I agree with others given the above information. .004" would be better and likely help eliminate some other frustrations in load development.

You could anneal a couple cases then fire them to help your measurements be more precise with spring back. In all likelihood you still only have .0025-.003

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.