How many Trusty Shellbacks we got???

Not me either; NAS Bermuda & NAS Roosevelt Roads. It was tough duty but someone had to do it.

So does it count if you were in the Corps attached to a amphibious battalion on a 6 month cruise and crossed the equator?

Nope, I didn't participate but my son did back around I guess it was 95'.

Hello Follow Vets
Ht3 crossed in feb 90 on USS Constellation.
I rode it into Philly then got Plankowner 2 yrs later, as I transfered to Sima/Nrmf
Philadelphia for the rest of my service.

HT2 here
unfortunatly the entire time i was in we did not do much but bomb some taliban. We did set the new record for most consecutive days at sea by a Navy ship at 159 days. Left 8 days after the 9-11 trade center bombings.
Never crossed over though but did have some fun times and memories to last a lifetime.

Here is one. Not only am I a shellback but I am a Golden Shellback, I crossed the international date line and the equator at the same time on a West Pack on the way to Australia. I guess being a Golden Shellback qualifies me to talk directly to King Neptune and I do not have to put in a chit like the rest of the lowlife shellbacks. It was the old mans twilight cruise. Was serving in the USS Coucal ASR8. I was the ships corpsman. This was way back in the 70es, can't remember the date.

Cheers&Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

Last edited:
Sorry......not one!

When the Big "E" went from west coast to east coast for refueling in '69 I cut across the country to get married.

Just learned that the USS Enterprise, the longest active serving US naval vessel will be decomissioned next year. Got a bit of a tear in the eye when I heard the news.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.