How many rounds?

"Years ago" I'd keep a box of 50 reloads handy so I could go to the range and re-verify point of impact, drop and group size before hunting.

But now that all of my firearms have been lost in an unfortunate boating accident, I don't keep any ammo on hand anymore. If they ban lead sinkers and SS fishing hooks, I'm not sure what I'll do with my leisure time. :>)

I have 3 Boxes (60rds) made for my rifle(s) and 1 box to SAAMI spec. For each of my rifles. You only have to forget your cartridges once to always bring a box for the next guy in your hunting party who forgets them. I confirm what everyone is bringing for rifles and if I have it I make it; and likewise for the others. Now, hopefully there is always cartridges available. Now back on topic. So 60 rds and each box gets vacuum sealed in plastic bags.
These were supposed to be attached. Don't know y. Guess I just wanted to show how I prepare them. FFD309D7-DDFA-4D99-BE27-CE97AB900F68.jpeg6.5 Creedmoor

Seems to me it's a 50/50 split on guys who keep 20 or less vs 50 or more.

Me and my father have been working out of the same box of 170gr Remington coreloks in a 30-30win since the 90's. 1 shot to make sure the rifle is still "on" and 1 shot on a whitetail. So I understand the "less is more" in the ammo department.

These days with the feral hogs that we have to contend with everyone in camp is shooting much more. A box of 20 a season isn't abnormal.

Thanks for the input guys!

I used to have many hundreds of rounds loaded and ready for my rifles. Now I try to keep at least 40 for each of my 5 hunting rifles, and over 100 for my AR. Also a couple boxes for each of my 3 pistols. 100 No. 4 and Buckshot for my 2-12 ga. shotguns. I no longer shoot competitively, but 2 of my kids do. We have a 225 yd. range here at home. Our beloved politicians are trying desperately to leave us defenseless!

I tend to avoid the range between June to August, if I go I just shoot .22lr at Smallbore Silhouette, the AR and handguns.

From September to May, all high power rifles get shot. Competition and hunting rifles all get some love and often. So I reload year round and always have anywhere from 50 to 200 rounds per rifle, sometimes more for the Silhouette competition rifle. Unfortunately the bullet shortage has me a little limited on this last rifle.

I used to have many hundreds of rounds loaded and ready for my rifles. Now I try to keep at least 40 for each of my 5 hunting rifles, and over 100 for my AR. Also a couple boxes for each of my 3 pistols. 100 No. 4 and Buckshot for my 2-12 ga. shotguns. I no longer shoot competitively, but 2 of my kids do. We have a 225 yd. range here at home. Our beloved politicians are trying desperately to leave us defenseless!

Recent Posts