How many rounds?

20...if you need that many shots to connect find another sport or pass time.
On a hunting trip I would agree with you, but I go to the range every other week and shoot more than 20 rounds on any trip. Much closer to 50 rounds each if shooting pistols. All of my guns are hunting guns that shoot a lot of paper and steel.

On a hunting trip I would agree with you, but I go to the range every other week and shoot more than 20 rounds on any trip. Much closer to 50 rounds each if shooting pistols. All of my guns are hunting guns that shoot a lot of paper and steel.
Agree, but there's a huge difference on what you mean "on hand" and for what purpose. I also have at least a 100 for competition use in my Dashers, BR's and PPC's but seldom ever need anything near that many for any of my big game cartridges. In reality how many of us ever shoot more than 7-10 in all the big game seasons combined....guess it all comes down to semantics of the interpretation of "hands on"...

Last edited:
What I failed to mention, as I don't hunt as much as I used to, that 20 to 30 loaded rifle rounds will be used in the "zero proofing" shots fired prior to hunting season as well as hunting. I generally try to keep a full box of loaded ammo in reserve. Once I dip into the final 20…..time to load another 20! memtb

How many rounds of HAND loaded ammunition do yall keep on hand for a particular hunting rifle?

I'm talking about once the barrel is broke in and you get a load dialed in and all other experimentation is done. How many do yall keep on hand for your #1 go to hunting rifle?
I keep zero "On Hand" loaded and ready to go. However, I never fall below 400 cases, 20 pounds of powder, 5000 primers Or 3000 bullets.

How many rounds of HAND loaded ammunition do yall keep on hand for a particular hunting rifle?

I'm talking about once the barrel is broke in and you get a load dialed in and all other experimentation is done. How many do yall keep on hand for your #1 go to hunting rifle?
I still have rounds for my .257 Roberts that I reloaded in 1986 and they work fine still.

For rifles I shoot year round I load 50 to 100. For hunting rifle (340 weatherby),I keep around 20 from last year and load 20 before hunting trip. I like to have the extras in case I have scope problems. Haven't had any problems on a hunt but two years ago I had scope ring break 3 days before Co trip. I always verify zero when I get to camp.

I have 3 Boxes (60rds) made for my rifle(s) and 1 box to SAAMI spec. For each of my rifles. You only have to forget your cartridges once to always bring a box for the next guy in your hunting party who forgets them. I confirm what everyone is bringing for rifles and if I have it I make it; and likewise for the others. Now, hopefully there is always cartridges available. Now back on topic. So 60 rds and each box gets vacuum sealed in plastic bags.

The problem with loading to many round is cold weld, because they sit around. The other problem is if your traveling a long distance. You will need or should check your rifle that nothing has gone wrong. Now the problem begins. Rifle out of wacke. How many rounds to correct it? 5 or 10 possible more. Now I generally have done mostly one shot kills, and sometime I don't. I wish, I could say I never miss, or make a poor shot. So how many rounds do you need. I take about 40 loaded rounds loaded, and especially if I am going out of the country. I generally come back 35 left over. So you tell me. 3 to check the rifle is zeroed. and 1 -3 shot to shoot animals.