How many rounds taken on a hunt?

I've used this for about 30 years.....made by Hunter, 14 rounds, very comfortable, very quiet, and compact. I wear it along with a couple of other items on a belt, worn over my clothing. memtb

QzKWEDLl.jpg

oYH2hccl.jpg
I have one that is similar that will hold 6

Around the house 4 in the rifle and 6 on the stock . When hunting out west usually 14 in the gun and with me and another couple of boxes at camp.

I only backpack hunt elk out west. Loaded gun with one in the chamber and 3 in my pack. That's 7 or 8 depending on which gun I bring.

I've used this for about 30 years.....made by Hunter, 14 rounds, very comfortable, very quiet, and compact. I wear it along with a couple of other items on a belt, worn over my clothing. memtb

QzKWEDLl.jpg

oYH2hccl.jpg
I also carry my ammo box, skinning knife and compact extendable diamond sharpener like yours on my belt.

Cheers.

G'day all.

I had to post here as the conditions in Australia are quite different to in USA.

The property we hunt is 112,000 hectares and the surrounding properties, which we have access to, combined total 1,004,000 ha.
Pigs and Kangaroos, when in plague proportions, are the target and at these times there are up to 3 professional shooters operating in the area with carcases going into chillers.

Over the years I have only owned a 22 wmr and one CF at a time. These being 243 and 300wsm and would take with me, a brick of 500 for spotlighting with the 22 wmr, 300 light loads for the 243 and the 300 wsm. I also carried 100 heavy projectiles for each to use on pigs.
Other rifles were a 25-06 and 308. I only used 100gn Nosler solid base in the 25 and 150gn Rem Corlokt in the 308. Usually 500 for each and again only brought empties home.

My son, his wife and myself were the shooters all using similar amounts of ammo.
We would go 2 to 3 times a year. This sounds like a lot, and it was, during the 70's to 2000.
All of us only had one Cf each so we became quite proficient with them, usually having a 90% plus hit rate.
The first time we spotlighted I had 200 22wrm in the car, only shot out the passenger window and in one hour and 1100m fired the lot at up to 100yd with only 4 misses.

As the droughts took effect the numbers steadily dwindled to the point where we haven't been for 2 yrs. 1380 Km is a long way to go for half a dozen shots.
Roos are expert in "following the rain" and over the past 10 yrs mobs of up to 200 have moved across the property but these numbers do not warrant shooting.

What can I say, don't re barrel as often, ah, the good old days.

G'day all.

I had to post here as the conditions in Australia are quite different to in USA.

The property we hunt is 112,000 hectares and the surrounding properties, which we have access to, combined total 1,004,000 ha.
Pigs and Kangaroos, when in plague proportions, are the target and at these times there are up to 3 professional shooters operating in the area with carcases going into chillers.

Over the years I have only owned a 22 wmr and one CF at a time. These being 243 and 300wsm and would take with me, a brick of 500 for spotlighting with the 22 wmr, 300 light loads for the 243 and the 300 wsm. I also carried 100 heavy projectiles for each to use on pigs.
Other rifles were a 25-06 and 308. I only used 100gn Nosler solid base in the 25 and 150gn Rem Corlokt in the 308. Usually 500 for each and again only brought empties home.

My son, his wife and myself were the shooters all using similar amounts of ammo.
We would go 2 to 3 times a year. This sounds like a lot, and it was, during the 70's to 2000.
All of us only had one Cf each so we became quite proficient with them, usually having a 90% plus hit rate.
The first time we spotlighted I had 200 22wrm in the car, only shot out the passenger window and in one hour and 1100m fired the lot at up to 100yd with only 4 misses.

As the droughts took effect the numbers steadily dwindled to the point where we haven't been for 2 yrs. 1380 Km is a long way to go for half a dozen shots.
Roos are expert in "following the rain" and over the past 10 yrs mobs of up to 200 have moved across the property but these numbers do not warrant shooting.

What can I say, don't re barrel as often, ah, the good old days.
My my my what fun you had . Australia sounds like it was a shooters paradise

I am also Australian, my hunting only differs that I hunt all year round for deer and 1 hunt annually in NZ for Red deer and Wapiti (Elk).
We do not have a tag per season system here, you buy a game license and you can hunt deer all year, no bag limits or gender specified hunting.
We do have one species of deer here that you need gender tags, one of each and has a one month season in April each year.
Only restriction is calibre and bullet weight for certain deer. No 22 cals allowed for any deer here in Victoria.
I backpack hunt as well as overnight trip hunt, occasionally day trip hunt close to home.

Cheers.

Normally when I am with my friends hunting I carry a bit extra ammo if one forgets or has their ammo go bad. but if I am alone or I am with someone that does not use my cartridges I normally have a 20 packed in a soft folding ammo case in my day pack, 2 of the same on my horse, and 2 more soft cases at base camp. I normally carry about 100 loaded pieces of ammo. not all the same mind you, I carry a variety for various distances. 140 grain Berger for longer shots, 110 grain Barnes TTSX for shorter shots, and 90 grain varminters if I see coyotes.

My my my what fun you had . Australia sounds like it was a shooters paradise
It surely was and still is for those who put the effort in.
As Magnum Manic said Deer are the main game species now with other large feral game being Asiatic Buff, Camel and Donkey. Smaller game are goats, fox and rabbit.
All are available to those who want to put the effort into gaining access to private property where they are.
Some deer are free range and thus hunted quite heaverly with no apparent ill effects to numbers. Back in the "70's it was estimated that there were about 2000 Sambur in the Victorian hi country. After massive fires up there they were driven out but have bounced back to almost plague proportions. Of the 6 deer species in Oz they would probably be our premier game animal.
Day tripping for rabbit fox and quail were what I was brought up on and still is my fall back when larger game is thin on the ground.
I can't remember who said this but I love it.
All time's wasted wot's not spent shootin'.

G'day all,
I asked this same question in another forum, and the recent thread asking about how many rounds do you have loaded promoted me to ask here.
So, how many rounds do you all carry while hunting and trips away?

I'll start.
I carry a 20 round MTM box in my daypack, 8 on my belt in another MTM box (no longer made...doh) and another 100 round MTM box in my lockable box on my truck that the other ammo started life in.
I have multiple 20 round boxes, and keep my most popular cartridges loaded up in them at all times so I can just grab 'em and go.

Cheers.
Mag full and 3 in my pocket in case the liberal deer shoot back Or riot.😜

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.