How many rounds taken on a hunt?

20 rounds total split between the gun, extra mag or cheek pouch, and backpack when I'm on foot stalking, another 40 in the truck or at camp incase I drop the rifle and need to zero the scope.

I have always carried a total of 23 cartridges , 3 in the rifle , 10 in a leather belt pouch , and 10 in my belly/butt pack .
I have done this since I began hunting in the mountains of Colorado , New Mexico , Montana , and Wyoming , from 1973 - 2011 .
The early years of the 1970's , 80's , 90's , there were no cell phones , and I carried the extras while walking back into the mountains in case of emergency if I were to be injured . Back then , it was a somewhat universal distress signal to fire 3 shots , wait a brief time , 60 seconds , and repeat the 3 shots . Repeat again after a 1-2 hour interval . I had enough for 3 volleys , plus several additional shots if a rescue searcher were to reply with 3 shots .

Plus , I always had an additional box of 50 in my vehicle , in the event of needing to repair/re-zero my rifle , if necessary .

DMP25-06

On a day hunt, I carry 10 rounds in my pack and whatever my rifle holds. The exception is when I carry my Ruger #1. Then I have one for my rifle, two in my coat pocket, and eight in my pack.

On a day hunt, I carry 4 in the rifle and a leather holder that has room for the old style box of 20 on my belt. In my backpack are additional 12 rounds for my 44 magnum.
For trips where I am out of state, I bring along a second rifle so I can switch over if a scope gets damaged, in the case are 20 rounds for rifle #2.

If I am black bear hunting I will top off my rifle, meaning 4+1 in the Ruger 77, or 5+1 in the 1895 Marlin. In addition I have a folding, leather cartridge wallet made by Hunter that I will carry another 8-10 rounds in. I always carry a Glock 20 that holds 16 rounds and an extra magazine for the Glock on my person. If I am whitetail hunting I will carry a backpack, inside of the backpack I will have an extra 20 rounds of rifle ammunition. I believe in carrying extra ammunition for signaling purposes if one gets lost. Yeah................I know we're not supposed to get lost but "--it happens. " I also carry three flashlights, a heallamp that gets carried in one of the cargo pockets, another Streamlight ProTac light that goes in a nyon belt case and a Streamlight MicroStream light clipped in one of my shirt pockets. Either of the two Streamlights are great because when I'm hunting they are always on my person.

When I hear this question about how many rounds does one carry I will always bring up the "George" story. This happened in the late 70s, early 80s when cell phones didn't exist. "George" was a guy from Lincoln, Rhode Island, who was hunting with a group of other hunters from New Jersey; we all were whitetail hunting in Greenville, Maine. I was hunting with my cousin, and one day while we were going out one of the guys in the New Jersey crew noticed that we were carry extra cartridges in wallet holders and decided to bust out chops. He wanted to know how many rounds the Rhode Islanders (we're from Rhode Island too) needed to kill a deer because all the New Jersey guys only needed one; and they only carried what their gun would hold. Okay.............so we all have a good laugh and go our separate ways hunting. Well that night we had a knock on our cabin door, one of the New Jersey guys asked if we'd seen George because he was considered to be lost. At that time it was dark, the weather had dropped to around 34 degrees and it was raining very hard, like sideways hard. So......everyone in camp went out looking in the area where we were hunting, however............around midnight we called it off because it was raining so hard and it was so cold we just had to come in. At daybreak the next morning it was clear and the temperature was still around 34 degrees when the search party started in again. I'd asked some of George's hunting buddies where George liked to hunt, they told me in a cedar swamp, but the last time he was seen he was heading in the opposite direction. I decided to take a walk through the cedar swamp anyways. About an hour into the swamp I yelled for George, and just as I yelled a shot went off right behind me, "I mean right behind me!!" I nearly needed a change in underwear, but......there was George!! He was laying behind a big blow-down tree, and he jumped up, ran over to me and hugged me, thanking me for finding him. He had a large gash above his eye from where it got gashed from a branch while he was trying to find his way out to the road. He said he could hear trucks going by. I asked him why he didn't shoot his gun in an effort to signal us. He said he only had the five rounds in his rifle and he'd fired four of them, saving one for the morning. At that time George ate (inhaled!!) my two Hershey bars, and......then the left over ham and bean sandwich from the day before that was inside of the game pouch in my plaid, Carter's hunting jacket; that sandwich was ugly but George didn't care.!! We got George out of the woods, and transported to the hospital where he was treated for hypothermia and got his forehead stitched up. The next time I saw George he was wearing two leather ammo pouches, carrying an extra magazine and he showed me his new flashlight.

So...........that's my George story, hope I didn't hijack this thread, wasn't my intention. Usually will carry an extra three or four boxes of ammo that I leave in the camp in case we have a scope problem. I've also loaned ammunition to other hunters who either forgot their ammo or simply didn't bring enough for their hunt.

50 rounds. 3-5 in the gun depending on caliber. 2-10 in a ammo holder or pouch, again depending on the caliber. Plus two 20 round ammo cases in my back pack in case I need to check my zero or demonstrate I can hit a target at a certain distance.

I took 40 rounds on a Yukon sheep hunt. Came home with 39 rounds. On local hunts for deer/elk I will have 3 in the mag and 9 more on my shell belt.

I don't carry a back rifle not till after I dropped the only gun I had on the trip, and destroyed the scope. Ran to the nearest town, Laredo, and bought a scope. Good thing it was my M1A, besides the 8 in the 10 round magasine, I had 3 more 20 rounders loaded with 18 rounds. I was able to zero the new scope. Kind of hard to boresight the M1a, plus had to confirm that the scope tracks up to 600 yards, so used up a few rounds.

Since then I always carried a back up rifle.

Why so many rounds? We hunted dang near the border, Coyotes, 2 and 4 legged kinds, ran through the property regularly.
Nez, I know you really only need 1 round with that M1a.
Anything else is just extra weight for you.

When I got to go with my dad for the first time deer hunting we stalked all day and finally spotted a doe on an exceedingly steep slope.The usual 8 rounds of 30-06 taken in the field fell that animal on the last shot.We since have practiced steep up and down hill shots , and carry a few more rounds in the backpack. Stay safe and hunt well everyone.

Trips to Montana(Mule Deer) from Georgia, I would take 2 rifles and 40 rounds apiece. 10 rounds on me and in the rifle and 10 rounds in the pack. Hunt coyotes if I shoot a deer early.
Never needed anywhere near that much ammo.
For Whitetail in Georgia I always carry 15 to 20 rounds mostly just because I can. I generally have an XP-100 or Encore pistol as well with another 10 rounds. Have gotten into a bunch of hogs before but after the first shot they are hoofing it across the shooting lanes. Then I start shooting that rifle like my old bird gun from the 60's, Browning A5, 20 gauge. Always carry more ammo than I realistically need but I've always been a belt and suspenders guy.

G'day all,
I asked this same question in another forum, and the recent thread asking about how many rounds do you have loaded promoted me to ask here.
So, how many rounds do you all carry while hunting and trips away?

I'll start.
I carry a 20 round MTM box in my daypack, 8 on my belt in another MTM box (no longer made...doh) and another 100 round MTM box in my lockable box on my truck that the other ammo started life in.
I have multiple 20 round boxes, and keep my most popular cartridges loaded up in them at all times so I can just grab 'em and go.

Cheers.
Local hunt around the house I just fill the magazine if I'm going on a trip hunting 50 rounds

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.