How many rounds taken on a hunt?

While rifle hunting I generally carry five total. When we are running bears with hounds I'll take a 50 count box for my super red hawk 44 . All I do is back up shoot if needed . The bear my wife killed two years ago took 9 300 gr Hornady 44 bullets thru the ribs be fore he gave it up . He was a tough old boar his lungs looked like jello

We hunt a long ways from home so 4 in the gun, 8 in a stock sock but also a 50 round MTM at camp just in case a guy needs to re-zero. Have only had to rezero 3 times in 50 years but if I hadn't had the extra ammo it would have been tough to do with the basic 12 rounds with the need to leave 2 to hunt with.

G'day all,
I asked this same question in another forum, and the recent thread asking about how many rounds do you have loaded promoted me to ask here.
So, how many rounds do you all carry while hunting and trips away?

I'll start.
I carry a 20 round MTM box in my daypack, 8 on my belt in another MTM box (no longer made...doh) and another 100 round MTM box in my lockable box on my truck that the other ammo started life in.
I have multiple 20 round boxes, and keep my most popular cartridges loaded up in them at all times so I can just grab 'em and go.

Cheers.
I keep a 20rd. In my truck and have 1 stock 3rd clip and 2 5rd. after market clips for my tikka that I carry with me.

I usually take a full magazine which is never less than five or more than ten. In addition to the five or ten, I usually take another three extra cartridges just for luck or need. Once I went hunting with a 30-30 and I loaded it with four. I really needed five and had to call somebody to bring me another gun to finish off a wounded deer. That day I vowed "Never again!"

On a typical southern deer hunt around the house, I carry 3-4 in my bolt gun or one in the chamber of my single shot and 4 extra just in case I get a coyote or pig come across my path.
If I'm pig hunting anywhere, I carry 100-200 rounds. I've killed 73 on one hunt.
Out west I carry 3-4 in my rifle and an extra 20 in my pack.

The answer really depends on the animal you are hunting and what do you mean "on a hunt" :)
  • Coyote and pest control hunt - the more the better.
  • Mountain hunt - every ounce counts and the pack is at the minimum ~ 10 rounds.
  • In the truck it doesn't hurt to have a spare rifle and a couple boxes of ammo.

For me I usually have about 8 to 10 rounds on me. That's is including my backpack. I will generally keep the rest of a 20 box or I'll have one more 20 box in my camper if the gun gets dropped. But when hiking generally no more than 10. Don't need the extra weight. For as the gun and shooting ability and myself that should have been proven before I have ever stepped foot in the field to hunt. At this point I'm hunting and not shooting. And I do take long range shots on animals. You must know your system and it's limits before hunting.

For muzzle loader I carry 2 reloads, plus the load in the gun, for hunting with a rifle I usually carry 13-15 rounds.

Always 4 in the rifle, 8 on the stock, an extra 2 sets of 10 in the pack. More in the camp with the spare rifle, but I also carry 6-44's and a strip loader with another 6 in the pocket; bear & vermin medicine.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.