How many rounds taken on a hunt?

I don't carry a back rifle not till after I dropped the only gun I had on the trip, and destroyed the scope. Ran to the nearest town, Laredo, and bought a scope. Good thing it was my M1A, besides the 8 in the 10 round magasine, I had 3 more 20 rounders loaded with 18 rounds. I was able to zero the new scope. Kind of hard to boresight the M1a, plus had to confirm that the scope tracks up to 600 yards, so used up a few rounds.

Since then I always carried a back up rifle.

Why so many rounds? We hunted dang near the border, Coyotes, 3 and 4 legged kinds, ran through the property regularly.
Three legged?...you hunting in Chernobyl?

My MN W.T. hunts are often on public land. At most I might walk 1.5-2 miles to my spot. When I walk out early morning in the dark I normally carry 4 in the magazine with an empty chamber. 1 more in my pocket to quietly slip into the pipe once in my stand. I have 6 more in my warm jacket or my backpack. I'll usually have an additional 10 rounds in my gun case in the truck.
I'll sometimes bring a backup gun to camp. However if I don't have one someone else does. I have only once ever had a scope malfunction in 38 years of deer hunting. A quick 5 round sight in with a loner scope was sufficient as in the woods shots are rarely over 100 yards.

I take with me 29. 3 for the magazine, 6 for the stock shellholder and 20 in an MTM box.
x2 for the back-up rifle.

I generally only carry in the field 9.

If I'm hunting ducks and geese? About 1,000 lol.

Depending on what i'm hunting and the bag limit..When traveling to the outer islands, i my take a total of 20 rounds on a trip. In the field, 4 rounds in the gun and 5 rounds in my backpack. I don't recall ever going in to my backpack for more ammo over a two day hunt.

My dad had me carry one in the chamber, 4 in a sock in my pocket, quiet and enough. He taught me not to shoot unless the animal dropped on the first shot. I wish I was still that good a shot.
Now I fill my magazine and chamber, carry another magazine's worth on my belt. That is for eating animals. And a box in my 4wd, just carefull I guess.
Coyotes, pigs, rabbits, a few magazines on me, a few boxes in my 4wd.
Different amounts for different hunts.

I bring a box of 50 for vacation groundhog hunting. I leave the truck with a handful in my pants pocket.
I limit this because that handful will be at the same temperature as load developed (as also pulled from my pants pocket).

My goal & game is to confirm kill 45 with that 50, in one week.
Second week of vacation is forfeited to wifey..

No more than 20 usually and on a day hunts i take 2 mags, 8 rounds. On extended hunts intake extra as I will shoot a little here and there and also in case I need to rezero due to an incident.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts