How many rounds taken on a hunt?

MagnumManiac

G'day all,
I asked this same question in another forum, and the recent thread asking about how many rounds do you have loaded promoted me to ask here.
So, how many rounds do you all carry while hunting and trips away?

I'll start.
I carry a 20 round MTM box in my daypack, 8 on my belt in another MTM box (no longer made...doh) and another 100 round MTM box in my lockable box on my truck that the other ammo started life in.
I have multiple 20 round boxes, and keep my most popular cartridges loaded up in them at all times so I can just grab 'em and go.

Cheers.

Aside from the magazine, I have a gun stock ammo holder that holds 8. I have never had to reach into the +8 :). I keep a box of 50 in the truck, mainly in case a rifle is dropped and the scope/zero needs to be confirmed. 50 is my standard reload box, so just grab one for convenience.

I used to just load the magazine and off I would go.
Then, on a private property hunt, I shot a really nice chocolate (Mennil) Fallow deer.
To my astonishment, another 30+ deer stood up, I had 3 rounds left, which I used on 2 more stags and a doe for the freezer too.
If I had had more rounds, I could've dropped several more deer, as they mostly milled around for some time before deciding to flee.
They had ZERO hunting pressure and didn't seem concerned with gunfire.
This is why I carry what I do these days.

Cheers.

If I'm just going out somewhere I know the area, I'll just carry whatever the mag holds, be that 4 or 30 rounds, but if I'm going far enough to require a backpack, I'll throw one 20rd box in the pack, but I can't remember the last time I reached for the backup ammo

I've used this for about 30 years.....made by Hunter, 14 rounds, very comfortable, very quiet, and compact. I wear it along with a couple of other items on a belt, worn over my clothing. memtb

QzKWEDLl.jpg

oYH2hccl.jpg

I don't carry a back rifle not till after I dropped the only gun I had on the trip, and destroyed the scope. Ran to the nearest town, Laredo, and bought a scope. Good thing it was my M1A, besides the 8 in the 10 round magasine, I had 3 more 20 rounders loaded with 18 rounds. I was able to zero the new scope. Kind of hard to boresight the M1a, plus had to confirm that the scope tracks up to 600 yards, so used up a few rounds.

Since then I always carried a back up rifle.

Why so many rounds? We hunted dang near the border, Coyotes, 2 and 4 legged kinds, ran through the property regularly.

Last edited:
Whatever the magazine holds, usually 3 plus a couple in my shirt pocket. If somewhere far away, I'll have a box stashed somewhere. 99.9% of the time any more is just dead weight to carry hunting anywhere you can only kill one animal. Only time I ever needed to get in the box was on a trip to the mountains when the rifle lost 0.

G'day all,
I asked this same question in another forum, and the recent thread asking about how many rounds do you have loaded promoted me to ask here.
So, how many rounds do you all carry while hunting and trips away?

I'll start.
I carry a 20 round MTM box in my daypack, 8 on my belt in another MTM box (no longer made...doh) and another 100 round MTM box in my lockable box on my truck that the other ammo started life in.
I have multiple 20 round boxes, and keep my most popular cartridges loaded up in them at all times so I can just grab 'em and go.

Cheers.
I always took 20 rds with me, and sometimes shot zero, sometimes 1 or 2. One year on a guided horseback hunt out west the horse carrying my rifle in a scabbard slipped and fell on rocks, fell on the scabbard trashing the scope. That evening I drove 3 hours to a shop to buy a new scope, they mounted it and boresighted it for me. The lodge had a range to shoot at. I stopped shooting at 18rds and said it was good enough, which it really wasn't, but I had no more ammo. 2 rounds for the next 3 days. I shot a mulie with a single shot the next day and went home with one round left. After that experience I have always taken four 20rd boxes, and have never needed that much again, but I'm prepared. I did lend a guy a box of 20 .270's one time when his fell out of his backpack somewhere on the trail.

Living where I do makes it easy. I load the magazine; put an additional 4 on the sling; and go out the back door and start climbing the hills. The extra shells are in case of coyote or cougar or bear - all of which have showed up from time to time and my Sportsmans License provides me tags for.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.