How many rounds do you have in your pack?

4 in the gun, 10 on the gun in the cheek rest holder, and a few in the pack.

The most I have ever used is 3.

My hunting buddy did an oops one year on a cow elk hunt. He had 3 in the gun. 10 in his pack. For the afternoon hunt he was not far from the truck so he left his pack behind. He saw elk. Ranged them at 275 and got a bad range. It was actually closer to 450. Fired 3 rounds missed all 3. He went to reload but had no more rounds...

We didn't get an elk that year. I almost got a shot on one of the 2 in the group he shot as, but I couldn't get a clean shot, and it was 395 yards. I was marginally comfortable with that rifle at that range at the time so I elected to not take the shot. I would have had to thread the needle between some trees to make a front shoulder hit, and I just couldn't take the shot.

I carry 40 in the truck, 6 in the carrier velcro'd to the bottom of the bino carrier ,two velcro'd to the side of the rifle at the chamber and 3 in the mag one in the pipe . I thought I carried to many bullets until now. Almost forgot 16 rounds of 460 roland when I'm in bear country like most here I have never needed more than one or two but hate hiking back to the truck/ quad or tent before dark

Thanks to all that have replied so far, very interesting answers from all.
I have to clarify I'm only really interested in what you have on you while actively hunting.
I actually take a 100 round MTM box with me for EVERY rifle I take on a trip. I usually take 3 rifles, they may be all the same cartridge or they may differ completely. These are locked up in my truck, and used to load the rifle and ammo boxes I take with me.
My buddies often mention I take too much ammo, but I don't think I do...what if some gets lost, as this did happen a few years ago to me when our boat ( a small 12' tinnie ) capsized due to the wake of an idiot in a speed boat. Our gear was recovered a couple of days later, including 6 rifles. We no longer overload the tinnie while crossing lakes.

Cheers.

Hi all,
The rifle weight thread got me thinking about how many rounds does everyone have in their pack, belt or firearm while hunting?
I have a 20 round MTM belt box in my pack and, another 8 round MTM belt box on my person while actively hunting, hiking into an area. Ethical or not, I also have the rifle fully loaded, meaning one is up the 'spout' with the safety engaged.
I load the rifle from the 20 round box, and the 8 round box only gets used when the rifle runs out.
What say you all?

Cheers.
Depends on what n where I'm hunting. If for whitetail locally near my home in TN I carry full load in my 06 with 1 loaded magazine in my pocket.
Out west in wilderness areas elk hunting fully loaded gun and a 20 rnd cartridge wallet on my belt.
You never know if you might encounter a dangerous critter where a shot or 2 might be used to scare 1 off or more shots needed to stop a charging critter. Plus in the event I should become injured I have additional ammo for signalling!

I use to only carry 5. Untill one day I had a bad hit on a mule deer buck and had to try to finish him. I hit that buck 3 out of the 5 shots. He was badly wounded but could run short distances before crashing. I had to finish him off with a my side arm that I only had 7 rnds with. Thank God I was able to. No more taking 5 rifle rounds. We have a responsibility to finish them off and yes you will have bad shot placement once in a while if you hunt enough. Now I carry 15-20 rounds. It's rare to use more than 2

I load five in the rifle, carry a ten-round wallet holder on my belt and twenty rounds in my back. When black bear hunting I also carry a loaded Glock 20, one in the chamber and an extra magazine in a belt holder. One year while deer hunting in Greenville, Maine we were hunting with group from New Jersey who busted our asses for carrying twenty rounds when we went out; they only carried five in their rifles (Remington 742s). On the third night of the hunt, George got lost, and........we got about an inch of rain and the temperature was around 33 degrees. We searched for George until midnight and called it off until morning. In the AM I went in to the swamp where George was last seen and started hollering for him. After the second yell, a round went off behind me about ten feet away, and......I nearly --it my pants!!! George was laying down next to a log, he got up ran over to me and hugged me telling me how grateful he was that he was found. He told me that he had prayed to God that he was found, that he was going to pay extra attention to his kids and that he was going to buy his wife a new car if he was found! And.....within five minutes of being found George inhaled a ham sandwich that was left in my coat from the day before, and two Hershey bars within a minute. We took him to the hospital where he was treated for hypothermia. The next time I saw George he was wearing a bandolier. I won't venture out without a full rifle and ten rounds that is not going to get separated from me. Carrying in a pack is good, however out in the field "stuff" happens (that isn't supposed to), and we can get separated from that pack. And like many others reading here, I can tell you more than one story like this one.

It sounds lame, but the range finder, batteries, knife, kestrel, ammo not in the gun and any necessary stuff for the hunt stays in my nut ruck or commonly know as the fanny pack. I can drop the pack any time and I have what I need to put an animal down on my waist.

I am comfortable carrying one loaded magazine when go hunting. I've never needed more than two rounds when hunting not because I'm that good but because I won't take a shot if its questionable. I know what my limitations are as well as that of my equipment.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.