How many rounds do you have in your pack?

Rifle magazine full, empty chamber.
Leather cartridge holder that has 10 rounds in it goes in my pocket.
I pull one out of there to top off the rifle when things start to get interesting.

Back at camp I have at least another 40...never know when you might need them for some reason. (to me, a box starts at 50 and goes up to a "bucket" from there. I have never felt like I had too much ammo!)

Last edited:
I roll with a couple in a mag, nothing in the pipe unless it's go time and a few on the stock pack if I have one on then I usually get me up with one round in my coat and one in a pants pocket. 20 round box in the truck riding safely then work out of a 100 round box at the shop which I try to shoot through in the season.

Depends on where and what I am hunting. If it is a long hunting trip for varied game without chance of resupply, I will carry 20 rounds per rifle. If it is a day pack and depending on rifle, usually I carry 8-10 rounds, but when using single shot rifles/handguns, I have been known to carry only 5 rounds. Varmint hunting in high country may see me carry 50 rds.

A few decades ago, I was so sure of my skills and long history of killing Southern whitetail with one shot, I began to take my rifle with only the 4 rounds in the mag. For years, this was sufficient, and even though occasionally, I had to use two rounds, mostly due to a dead deer running, I stayed with my 4 rounds. THEN one day, a fair buck was caught casually walking up a creek and not 75 yards below my hilltop perch. Easy peasy shot, except for that one lone, tiny sapling I never took time to see directly in my crosshair. The deflected 270 bullet raked the back hair of the buck, and like a released coiled spring, he headed for thickets and water. Three rapid shots later and out of ammo, I watched as the buck stopped just before entering heavy swamp and thickets. I sit there thinking I needed one more round. Fortunately and to my relief, the buck had unflinchingly taken two to the lungs, and before he could turn and disappear, he began to stumble and fell.

Now I carry one full reload.

Depends on which gun if it's my tompson encore 3-4 rounds more than sufficient. In my bolt gun I'll generally take 5 . If I'm squirrel hunting with my 17 Mach 2 I take 2 magazines each holds 7 and a 50 count box .
My oldest son can't hit crap at all with a shotgun for real I give him 5 shells at a time cause he will shoot till said target either is out of sight or dies of a heart attack from being scared to death

Carry 2-3 in the mag depending on which rifle I'm carrying. One in the the zipper pouch on my rifle stock. This one is for times when you don't want to work the bolt to load rifle and make noise, I'll pull the bolt back just far enough to slip the round into the chamber and hopefully quietly close bolt. I know just carry one in the chamber, not knocking anyone that does, but was taught different and it's hard to teach old dogs new tricks 😂. Three in my right front pants pocket. And a half dozen or so in my pack. Will have approximately 20 more at camp. Where normally, unless it's a Backcountry camp, there will be a couple more rifles with 20-30 rounds for each rifle. I usually go prepared to spend the whole season, 2-4 weeks. One of the only good things I can say for old age and retirement 😉. Hunt safe everyone, have fun and be happy.

Thanks guys, happy to hear it's not just me that takes 20+ rounds.
My 416 Rigby when hunting buff either here in Oz or Africa, has 2 10 round leather wallets attached to the rifle, just never know, and boy do they add some weight.

Cheers.
If I was hunting in Oz, where Im from, or Africa, personally Id be carrying 60 or more. Those countries, and depending on where, for example, if I was in the top of Northern Territory, id be carrying 80. You never know *** can happen up there. Crocs, Dingos, wild dogs, pigs, snakes and the fact you cant contact anyone if you dont have a sat phone. In those hunts its also a survival situation.

Guess it would depend on the situation. North East of the country deer hunting just what the rifle holds. Spot and stalk style. Bear hunting here we drive them so usually enough to fill the rifle twice. Areas outside mine where there are things that could bite back I would likely carry more. Guess the situation dictates for me

I keep ten in my pack, 5 - 260AI, 5 - 300wsm, so i have back up for either rifle and don't forget and leave them at home. I usually keep a box in the truck as well. My biggest worry is forgetting my magazine for my 260AI since I only have one. I should probably rectify that one day.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.