How many rounds do you have in your pack?

I will load up 20 rounds and take them with me just in case I need to re-verify my zero at anytime. It sucks if your gun is off and you only brought 8 rounds. If I am packing in, I will take 10 rounds with me and vacuum seal them and put them in my pack.

I always carry a box of the ammo in my bag for when I get checked by a Warden. I use to only carry on my stock, but I stopped doing that as I would typically lose rounds along the way. A full box always gets packed as I have seen scopes get bumped off and it's a long way back home. When I go on out of state hunts, I typically carry four to five boxes. I only use a couple but when I have time after a hunt, it's always fun to target practice surrounded by different views, when possible.

For deer and elk, an extra mag in the pocket is enough, with a box in the vehicle, but for pronghorn, I make sure I have a nylon ammo carrier with 10-12 extra firecrackers.

Most of my rifles hold 3 rounds in the Mag. If I am hunting elk I carry one in the tube making it 4 rounds. I generally use a Mauser Action with safety locking the firing pin, and there no way it can moved off safety . Other actions with the safety being on the side of the action can move forward taking it off safety. I haven't carry a round in the tube for 35 years with other actions, and here why. I was hunting in Utah for Muley climbing up some rocks, started to slip carrying my rifle on my shoulder. Grab my rifle stock to keep it from moving around. Somehow I got my finger in the trigger well and touch it off. The safety had moved forward taking the safety off. Not quite sure, but probable came close to taking my head off. Thank God and figured, I didn't need an animal that bad. So safety aren't that good, and can cause problems you don't want.
If traveling I will take 40 to 50 rounds with me. Hunting I will carry 3 in the mag, and 5 in a rubber band in my front pant pocket. That way the rounds aren't rattling around in my pocket, quick to grab if needed. If I need more than that when shooting at an animal, It's time to go back to camp and think about what you are doing wrong.
SSS
Mike

My magazine holds 5 rounds. But I only ever use one of them. Seriously - you should really only need one round for what you need to do so why carry the extra weight?

I take one, that's all I need! Jk. Whatever the rifle holds and 8 more in a ammo wallet.

Depends on what im doing. Treestand hunt= magazine full(usually 3) and 3 in pocket
Stalk along way= mag full and the remainder of the box in my pack usually 10-15rds
Running deer with dogs= magazine full, one in the tube, 5 in my pocket and 2 boxes in the truck.

Full mag (3-5), unchambered 90% of the time unless in the thick stuff. Usually 2-5 extra in a holder on the gun (2 in a SAP next to action or 5 in a cheek pad). Maybe an extra 3 in my pocket. I like a minimum of 8 rounds on me.

But a box of 50 in the truck.

My situation a little different than some lol. Usually 4 in the gun. 5 in one of those Federal plastic ammo 10 round packaging slide thingies cut down to fit my chest pocket. One box of 20 rounds in my pack. 100-300 rounds in camp.
We have deer, hogs, varmints, and exotics. Ability to rezero a scope or maybe bust some rocks that offend me in the distance. I also may hunt 3-4 weeks at a time. Sometimes I carry double loadout to a blind. Day gun and a night gun with thermal scope that is usually in a different caliber. Obviously less if still hunting, rattling, or spot n stalk.

I usually have 10 rounds on me somewhere. All my rifles sport a buttstock pack that holds at least 5 rounds, plus my mag. I have never ran out or felt like I needed more than that. If I can't get it done with 10 rounds I should probably call it a day.

I have a leather belt pouch that holds 14 rounds. So, when in the field, 14 rounds.....4 in rifle with 10 remaining in the pouch! I don't recall ever going to the pouch for more in 30 + years of hunting! Generally about another 20 rounds in the camper! memtb

Last edited:
I usually bring 20 when I hunt in AZ. Those are week long hunts and I might get a shot at some coyotes or a mountain lion. I've been known to misjudge the wind at 500+ so misses can happen. ;)
When I fly back to PA I usually bring 40-50 just so I can verify zero, let my friends shoot it and in case I hit one of those pesky trees while swinging on a big buck.

3-5 boxes when traveling to Montana/Wyoming, once in "woods" 14 during day hunt. North Louisiana deer lease 20, lots coyotes

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.