How many rifles does your wife think you own?

LMAO. That's just the plight of the married man and can assure you quite normal. We are slightly more cash tight than we used to be, as I'm disabled from an accident, however my wife has a good job and I'm far from taking food from the table.
I guess my thought is this, how many times has my wife come home with new or more bed pillows because the six on the bed aren't enough?
I still pay a good portion of our bills, our kids are grown and gone and don't feel guilty about occasionally buying something for myself. Despite this, it doesn't mean your wife may agree and I would likely find myself in a furniture store buying something we really don't need, or could wait.
What I do, and my advice. I save what I can, and have a little side slush fund. In fact I just ordered a mini at an end of the year sale I couldn't pass on. Not having quite enough, I paid the extra $20 and put it on layaway.
I personally don't like hiding things forever, so I wait till she's in a really good mood and pull the ole, Hey, look what I bought. Also make sure you stress the sale savings (all women think this way) and in my case, was truly close to $400. You'll never justify a gun, if the kids need new shoes, money is tight, or she just called AAA for a tow because you've neglected her car for a year.
My son in law got his after spending only $100. It wasn't really the money, but used that excuse not to go to a concert my daughter wanted to attend.
I couldn't help but send him a link to a YouTube vid, How to hide guns from your wife. They actually exist and I had a good chuckle while doing so. I guess it's all in the timing.
Keep in mind, in buying guns or anything, your relationship is important. I've been married 37yrs and have been pretty happy. There's a lot of give and take but women do like to know they are appreciated.
To this day, and for absolutely no reason, I stop at my wife's work with flowers. That simple act and $25 bucks goes a long way. I bought a case of ammo at a price i couldn't pass on a couple weeks ago and stashed it under the bed. Seems she cleans there more than I thought and got busted in days. Can't say I didn't get and eye roll and look of disapproval, but no argument.
Spend that little bit here and there on her unexpectedly and think you'll get a lot less flac when you want something, and spend way less time justifying your purchase.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only low life out there that either lies about how much rifles cost, or how many you have. My wife currently thinks I have (1) rifle and it's magically changed colors and size from year to yesr. I actually have had (6) customs in 2 years and currently have (3). So let's hear it. I know I am not the only one who keeps the spouse in the dark about rifle cost/quantity.
Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only low life out there that either lies about how much rifles cost, or how many you have. My wife currently thinks I have (1) rifle and it's magically changed colors and size from year to yesr. I actually have had (6) customs in 2 years and currently have (3). So let's hear it. I know I am not the only one who keeps the spouse in the dark about rifle cost/quantity.

my wife and i both have our own money left over after the bills are paid. we're both free to do with it whatever we want. my wife knows i have about 20 guns and 2 in the works (a new 700 long range gun and a 762x39 AR).

i dont have to hide my habit from my wife as i went out and bought 10 acres of land out in the country just to have somewhere to shoot.

If you have to deceive your wife, you shouldn't be married.

100% this. i have a buddy that keeps guns at his parents house because his lady doesnt like them. before we were married, my wife knew i liked guns and new they were coming with me.

My wife does not know the number exactly, but she knows there are quite a few. She has been my wife for 22 years, and we don't keep secrets from each other. When I want a new one, I get it. She will throw a comment in every once in a while like- do you really need another rifle? I have helped a few friends out over the years by either storing a gun or two for them, or letting them ship scopes and other items to my house.

After proofreading my post, it sounds a whole lot like preaching. Well, I warned you.

Im going to lead off with I'm no Saint. I've done wrong, and even when you get away with it, you'll still punish yourself. Unless of course you have no moral fiber.

I Grew up old school. Like REALLY old school. (Thanks, Dad)
One of my first lessons as a kid was:
"If you lie, you'll cheat, if you cheat, you'll steal."

The other was the Golden rule:
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

All this old school upbringing came with plenty of opportunities to test these 2 rules, and get my butt whooped for it. I found the worst part wasn't the pain of the butt whoopin, it was re establishing trust and respect.

Lo and behold, it's really best to obey.

My advice would be Don't break them with anyone you value trust with. Period.

I've been on the receiving end of deception, a whole lot more than the giving end. It does NOT feel good.

I don't hide who I am or what I do from someone as important as a wife.
I would consider it the same as lying, cheating, and stealing from myself.

Likewise, I expect the same.

When I think about doing something, if I thought there would be trouble, I'd run it by her. Let her know what I'm up to. If she had a really good reason for me not to, I'd listen and consider, but I'd also be honest and let her know eventually this new (whatever) is important enough to me to make happen at some point.

Now, with all that said, I'm not married.

I'm on my second, and last, wife. However that works out. When we were dating, I told her of my love for guns. She said " I like guns !" Well, turns out, not so much. She would never go shooting with me, except once when I combined spreading my Dad's ashes and busting caps in his memory. She through a FIT when she found out I had gotten a semi custom built. She will not allow them in the house, I keep them in the garage. Honesty? Works both ways. Has to. Now I'm trying to justify staying, when in reality, I wish I had left long ago. Honesty is best ? Wellll......

I'm on my second, and last, wife. However that works out. When we were dating, I told her of my love for guns. She said " I like guns !" Well, turns out, not so much. She would never go shooting with me, except once when I combined spreading my Dad's ashes and busting caps in his memory. She through a FIT when she found out I had gotten a semi custom built. She will not allow them in the house, I keep them in the garage. Honesty? Works both ways. Has to. Now I'm trying to justify staying, when in reality, I wish I had left long ago. Honesty is best ? Wellll......

When you're dating, women will promise you the world. I've dated so many women who will tell you exactly what you want to hear. I think they are hardwired for marriage, so they'll do whatever it takes to lock a man down. I've seen it a 100x with my friends and family. Their Girlfriends the coolest person in the world, slap a ring on it and she changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is one lesson everyone should learn is "don't set your own bear trap". My best friend had a FFL few years back with a side business he had. Of course rifles would show up periodically and he would tell his wife they were for ME so I could get the best cost!!! So she asked him "When am I picking it up?" Couple days later he tells her I decided I no longer wanted it and he couldn't return it. Couple rifles later with same Q&A she finally calls me to asks me when am I going to honor my rifle orders. Of course I say "What rifles?". Conversation went downhill fast and I am left holding bag when he calls up and is telling me "Thanks a lot!". He turned in his FFL.

When you're dating, women will promise you the world. I've dated so many women who will tell you exactly what you want to hear. I think they are hardwired for marriage, so they'll do whatever it takes to lock a man down. I've seen it a 100x with my friends and family. Their Girlfriends the coolest person in the world, slap a ring on it and she changes.

You are exactly right! Great book is The Rational Male. Once it opens your eyes, you can never look at women the same way again. It's like Neo once he takes the red pill.

I can tell by all the comments like "been married for 20+ years and..." that this forum is mostly older men. Which is awesome. I agree with almost every single thing you guys say. But to let the masses know, women arent the same as they were back in your generation.

I'll stop myself here and wont write anymore. :)

Wish I could get away with it but the sad fact is, my wife is starting to catch up to me on the rifles she owns.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.