How many of you went back (scales)

bonanza beam scale is what my father in law has its very reliable its not that much slower than a digital if I'm strategic about it I thought about a new digital but for the price I'll weigh mine on the beam and use the money for more powder,bullets,and primers . Hell man I could almost buy another rifle lol.

SidecarFlip

We found the batteries in the bath scale last a lot longer if we keep the dogs from sleeping on the scale. 'Might try that...

Our kitchen scale for food (70oz max, resolution=0.1 ounces) is very sensitive to battery quality and strength so we use only Duracell or the bunny batteries.

I last used son's e-scale to check weigh finished LTS 45 ACP ammo. Plus or minus 1 grain so I was sure there was powder in each. For that purpose an e-scale is superb.

I have done much load development at the shooting bench proper. Measure powder and seat the bullet with a hand press and shoot. One bullet, one chronograph reading and one pressure check- very component conservative. When I find a likely load, usually max, I measure and load five and shoot for group and ES & SD. This requires a scale used outside. My poor Ohaus has suffered at my hand since 1971 but is still spot on. The e-scale makes the shooting bench loading sweet! The Ohaus stays home now.

Truly, I believe a reloader needs both.

LTS= Long Term Storage

KB

Not at all on thread but I received a Lee Hand Press from an admirer (wife) for Christmas year before last and I've never taken it out of the box. I've been considering using it at the range (we have a private range that the group uses that is at one of the guys homes) to do load fiddling on the spot. Do they work rerasonably well or should I sell it on Flea Bay and not tell the wife? Please advise.

I'm prettyy sure it won't FL resize, don't appear to have enough mechanical afvantage but it may as I've never used it....

SidecarFlip

PS
If you put your glasses on first the numbers readout is brighter.
But the numbers remain very disappointing.....

KB

If I put on my readers, I can't see the numbers at all......:D No mtter, it's gone and thank goodness for adjustable oculars on scopes......

I have an out of production Lyman hand press and it will FL up to about 30/30. They seat and crimp just fine. If you try loading at the shooting bench you will add it to your routine. FL all pistol size brass no problem.

If you look at the ladder process it is incremental powder increases to find a node. By using a hand press and portable e-scale you can explore your on-target findings as they happen and not wait until you go home to load the next test batch and wait to shoot another day. You arrive at the shooting bench with a plan, some powder, some bullets, some primed cases, and a hand press to put together what you want. Start your testing and when a node appears you explore it right then and right there. No more disassembling too hot loads and shooting more ammo than needed.

Trust me on this, ladder testing and loading at the shooting bench go together like fine whiskey and fine cigars.

KB

can I get a hand press for 06 length cases if so that would be a perfect solution to my problem I live a half hour from the range so I go test loads and go back home try a different load then back to the range.. You get the idea

I just purchased and began using the RCBS Chargemaster Combo in the past month. I had only used balance beam scales for the prior 40+ years. I researched powder dispensing units on this and other Forums prior to purchase. The RCBS unit is very favorably recommended. I'm really pleased with it and have nothing negative to say based on my initial experiences. It cost about $250 after the Brownells promotion coupon and an RCBS rebate. I think I waited too long to add this digital scale to my reloading tool chest.

The RCBS chargemaster is one of the best purchases I've made to speed up the reloading process. I love it. With the wife and kids, friends, full time job, the speed savings I get from not having to weigh each charge on a balance beam is worth every penny I spent on the chargemaster. Will only go back to a balance beam if the power is out.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.