How many of you went back (scales)

Trickymissfit stated: "I once had two Ohaus 304's, and before that a 10-10. They all went to the flea market ten or twelve years ago, and probably reside in the trash dump as by now the bearings are gone."

***Since when did beam scales have bearings? The beam rides on what most "old timers" refer to as knives. They are just a V that rides in a V and the only way they will "EVER" wear out is if someone doesn't take care of them properly.

probably because some folks don't realize what a knife edge bearing is. We're talking 1917 engineering.
gary

I use both. I use digital for getting close, i then daable check it with my 5-0-5. I don't think you can beat the mechanical scale for accuracy.

The digital scale is the Lyman Gen-5 which is on, or its off +or- .1 grain.

I love when these topics become border disputes. At the risk of being controversial, I'd have to say it is a matter of preference and nothing more. When all is said and done it is the same powder, with relative variance that is insignificant to the end result.

E scales are probably faster - the 8 minutes I save has no value to me. I enjoy the process, I'm not a factory. I can just TiVo the "Real Houswives" and skip the commercials. :rolleyes: Model T vs New Corvette analogy - maybe a little bit of an overstatement - only true if you are using either to puts to the end of the driveway to get your mail.

A walk into General Electric, Pratt Whitney, or Rolls Royce will show you a complete absence of the old time scales that they used twenty years ago. The Fed won't even except a measurement from one these days, and that ought to tell you something!
gary

Now I often agree with Gary, but I struggle with this argument mightily. If PW or RR are using the same level of technology as is used in your Chargemaster, I would be pretty surprised. Not at all saying the Chargemaster isn't perfectly effective for reloading, I just don't see the parallel.

The argument is drinking a Coke through a straw vs drinking it from the can. History tells us you will get that refreshing Coke down either way. To each his own.

Brandon

PS corncob tumbling is only for jerks and morons. If you are still doing it you are lucky you haven't blown off your face.

Well, I haven't seen an implication that mechanical scales aren't good enough. They are.
Any 'argument' here stems from the basis of this thread, that digital scales may NOT be good enough.
Well, they are also. I think we all know that.

I love when these topics become border disputes. At the risk of being controversial, I'd have to say it is a matter of preference and nothing more. When all is said and done it is the same powder, with relative variance that is insignificant to the end result.

E scales are probably faster - the 8 minutes I save has no value to me. I enjoy the process, I'm not a factory. I can just TiVo the "Real Houswives" and skip the commercials. :rolleyes: Model T vs New Corvette analogy - maybe a little bit of an overstatement - only true if you are using either to puts to the end of the driveway to get your mail.

Now I often agree with Gary, but I struggle with this argument mightily. If PW or RR are using the same level of technology as is used in your Chargemaster, I would be pretty surprised. Not at all saying the Chargemaster isn't perfectly effective for reloading, I just don't see the parallel.

The argument is drinking a Coke through a straw vs drinking it from the can. History tells us you will get that refreshing Coke down either way. To each his own.

Brandon

PS corncob tumbling is only for jerks and morons. If you are still doing it you are lucky you haven't blown off your face.

I think you'd be stunned at what they use to weigh things with! I've spoke in the past about turning balance weights for gas turbine wheels, and I know of one group that simply uses about six different Pact electronic scales (depending on which particular lathe they are being machined at). They cut and polish these to about a +/- one and one half tenth grain window. Then they are sent to the lab for a final measurement. They use a $10K scale to make this check. This scale is checked every three months to another electronic scale which is known as the master. What it's checked against I can't say as I've never been in the lab when they did this. These guys are very serious about the compressor stages in a jet engine, as an explosion is extremely ugly unless it's in the pit. The only place they use an analog scale is on the shipping docks and during inventory when they simply weigh everything for a parts count unless it happens to be a finished product. As for the comparison to the Chargemaster, a tenth of a grain is a tenth of a grain weighing anything.
gary

I bought myself one of them newfangled electronic bath scales that's supposed to be accurate and all that.

And I don't trust that lying bastard either....

KB

Well, I'm an old fart too and I don't have enough life left to set and wait for two lines to "line" up. Electronic scales are faster and that's what I like.
The standard's one uses (i.e. weights) to calibrate their scales, in a large part, determines it's accuracy, as does the price (regretfully) of the machine you're using. In everything we do, accuracy cost. A scale that reads .00001g (grams) cost 10-15 times more than one that reads at .01g.
The ChargeMaster, at $350 (approx.) is not a great scale, but for what it does it is a good scale/dispenser. I own one and like it alot. Like has been said before; to each his own. :)
JohnnyK.

Neither do I have a lot of time left on this side of the dirt, but....

When I load multiple loads (I use a Harrell Culver Powder thrower) and it's 'settled in' and throwing consistent charges, I check every 5th load on the beam scale and that applies to pistol and rifle loads....no biggie, takes about 15 seconds or less time than it takes me to urinate any more......

I set the scale at eye level with the trickler right next to it.

Far as single, carefully prepped loads, I check every one but then I don't shoot willy-nilly at the range anyway. I get my loads perfected, weapon sighted in and put it away for when it's needed. With components in short supply, no need to be making noise for the sake of making noise.

Takes more time to prep cases and seat pills than weigh a powder charge and I don't tell anyone I have a scale. The neighborhood kids might be tempted to 'borrow' it to weigh drugs with................ Just say'in.:)

To those youngsters who think mechanicals are slow:
Drop the last weighed charge into a case.
Charge the scale pan and set it on the scale.
Seat a bullet in the case you just charged.
Look up at the scale, it will have stopped swinging by now.
Pinch a few grannuals of powders and drop them in the pan. As each one hits the pointer will creep up to the setting- no swinging back and forth.
Pour the charge into the next case.
Repeat.

There is no practical time difference between an electronic or mechanical scale. Only a difference in operator function when you weigh every charge.

I have a mechanical and youngest son has an e-scale. We use both but for weighing each charge the mechanical is no handicap as far as speed. And it only needs to be checked maybe once a month to see if it needs to be cleaned.

KB

The wife bought an electronic bathroom scale and neither of us could read the digital readout, was too dim to see looking down there....

Went to the landfill and replaced with an old style dial type.

Besides, the batteries seemed to expire quickly......

But then I have an I-Phone and I can't figure out all the 'features' but the numbers are big and thats a plus....:)

I only use an electronic scale for quick weighing of rifle cases. Only use RCBS 5-10 Scale for 30 years. Will never trust electronic scales since they are influenced too quickly by floresent lights, static electricity and even cell phones.

You need to look at the mechanics of an electronic scale versus a mechanical too.

An electronic scale uses a load cell (strain gage) which may have been sourced from the least expensive supplier and may or may not be from China (who knows), plus the accompaning electronics (to read the strain gage output) may also be of questionable manufacture. Too many varibles for me.

A beam scale on the other hand is bone simple and most are made by one company, Ohaus. Most are magnetically damped, have hard (agate) piviot points and are unaffected by stray magnetic sources (lights and phones or your cordless drill thats spinning your prep center) come to mind, plus, mo batteries to get discharged or line cord to get tangled up with.

Narcotics dealers all use a beam scale (I presume at least) because in their business, a gram difference is a big difference....... Just say'in.

SidecarFlip

We found the batteries in the bath scale last a lot longer if we keep the dogs from sleeping on the scale. 'Might try that...

Our kitchen scale for food (70oz max, resolution=0.1 ounces) is very sensitive to battery quality and strength so we use only Duracell or the bunny batteries.

I last used son's e-scale to check weigh finished LTS 45 ACP ammo. Plus or minus 1 grain so I was sure there was powder in each. For that purpose an e-scale is superb.

I have done much load development at the shooting bench proper. Measure powder and seat the bullet with a hand press and shoot. One bullet, one chronograph reading and one pressure check- very component conservative. When I find a likely load, usually max, I measure and load five and shoot for group and ES & SD. This requires a scale used outside. My poor Ohaus has suffered at my hand since 1971 but is still spot on. The e-scale makes the shooting bench loading sweet! The Ohaus stays home now.

Truly, I believe a reloader needs both.

LTS= Long Term Storage

KB

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.