How many of you hunt with benchrest stocks vs standard stocks?

JustC

I am finishing a project for long range whitetail work, as well as for some informal/formal competition. I am curious as to how many members hunt with a benchrest style stock in single shot, and flat forend, compared to a hunting type, magazine style stock??

Hey Justc,

I'd say about all of em do. Look at every gun you've seen a picture of on this board and you'll find about all of em have flat bottomed benchrest stocks on em. Flat buttstocks too.

Something like a Sendaro stock would be about the smallest type used by most of us on this forum.

Many of us hunt from a statonary point (extreme Longrange) with large benches and use very heavy guns with flat bottoms on the stocks that will ride the bags better.

When we move or carry our equipment to far off ridge points, we go lighter and that's when a stock such as the Sendaro type with bi-pods come in handy.

DC

Thanks guys. I have to pay for a stock on the new rig soon, and just wanted a few more folks to agree that I should go with a benchrest stock instead of a tactical from mcmillan etc. The 30" barreled (.950") 300rum will be my crop damage hunter, and the stock consideration was a final element. I can't wait to shoot this thing.

What type of bottom metal is good?

Thanks again

[ 04-09-2003: Message edited by: JustC ]

The more I carry my 18 lb. 30 Wolf around the fields and shoot, the more happy I am that I chose to have such a rifle built.

The system is just so deployable. Drag bag, Harris bipod, GopherChucks Ultimate lightweight rear support system... Over 5000 lbs. of muzzle energy delivered (consistently and repeatedly) 5 times inside 2 inches at 600 yards. It's an awesome tool...

I used the HS Precision detachable box mag and bottom metal. It's extremely heavy duty, and allows the weapon to be cleared very quickly.

STL shooter would love to see a pic of the gun your talking about 30 wolf.
shocked.gif

Personally I like the McMillan tacticals, just seems more functional. I rarely get the opportunity to set up a bench unless I am PD shooting. The tacticals are made for LR field situations...

just my .02

I understand the field vs bench issue. My crop damage shooting, is done form one location, across the fields, so a benchrest type stock is not out of the question, but kind of a PITA when carrying the rifle somehwere and then setting up at a chosen point.

Soooooo,...I had the gunsmith bed the stock in the HS precision tactical just like the one in STL Shooter's picture, and I am ordering an MBR Tooley as well. I'll have both stocks bedded for the same action, and just switch back and forth depending on what I will be doing at the present time
grin.gif
grin.gif
That way, the stock won't arrive until the end of the summer (when the air is cooling) and the wife won't see two come in at once
wink.gif

Anyone know how fast I will lose bedding contact enough to affect accuracy, when switching back and forth?? (keep in mind this will only be once or twice a year). Or is this an invalid concern??

Dave King, I assume you mean something along the lines of HS Precision varmint style stocks? or laminated heavy barrel stocks from the factory?

Thanks

[ 04-17-2003: Message edited by: JustC ]

JustC

I use the H-S Precision M-24 style (PST05) in either Adjustable Length Of Pull (LOP) or fixed LOP on some rifles.

tactical%20black.jpg

I also use the McMillan M40-A1 (HTG) with Sniper Fill (heavier by my reconing) to deaden the hollow sound, reduce recoil and even out the balance a bit.
http://www.mcmfamily.com/mfsinc_n/tac.html

JustC

I only shoot from a bipod nowadays... last time I shot using a Hart rest (several years ago) it went well, just remember to leave clearance for the swivel studs during recoil.

The H-S tactical stocks seem to have a larger palm swell than the Sendaro and Varmint types.

Dave, thanks.

Also, just noticed we can't be far apart. I'm on the eastern shore,.....near Salisbury.

How far are you from me?

Just C,..

There are many tricks that a gun Smith may use that will help the bedding last a very long time. If you have a round action, you can mill a flat at six o'clock. This will allow you to index the action in exactly the same spot, and keep torque from chewing the bedding up over time. It goes without saying that you need a thick recoil lug. By using a thick lug and bedding with no clearance on the sides of the lug, but leaving the space below the bottom of the lug with clearance, you pick up significant surface area to control torque.

If you have chosen a flat bottom action design, you can have your gun Smith mill 3 degree angles on the sides of the action. By having a slight taper on the sides, you can now install and remove the action without scraping the bedding or causing slight sugaring. I radius all corners and polish all surfaces touching any bedding material like a mirror. By having a stiff set up and all surfaces polished, I have yet to have bedding degrade, some have well over 6000 rounds logged.

A good brake that removes some of the torque combined with a stiff stock and a very stiff recoil lug will allow things to live for a very long time.
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.