How many guys single feed?

I single feed at the range. However, in the field, I use a full magazine. I have been surprised in the field before, better to be prepared.

My 7MM RM Bergers are too long for the mag, but the mag will take one with the tip protruding out past the box and it will still feed perfectly every time. So I put 2 factory loads or shorter custom loads in the mag first. That gives me two perfect long range shots plus 2 back up shots.

You are right, it is likely if a bear comes after me, I very well may not even get one round off, hopefully if it was on top of me I could get to my chest holster .44 mag revolver because that would be my only hope if I was alone. But the majority of the times I am with a partner, and the main aspect of the plans we always make if a bear attacks is for whatever partner is not being attacked to put rounds on the bear, and if a bear attacks my partner, I don't want their life to depend on one round, a big bear on the attack may need more than one round to stop. I know that if there was a bear messing me up, I would want my hunting partner to have more than just one round in the chamber, and a few in their pocket that they would have to scramble to try to find under a very stressful situation if the first one didn't do it. I don't like to go into a situation where there may be a fight for life with a limited arsenal, While on duty I would certainly prefer my Glock over a 6 shot .38 revolver. We are issued a double mag pouch, I purchased my own triple pouch so I had one more mag. As a backup, I have another compact Glock that can use our same duty mags. I prefer my AR-15 over my Glock whenever practical. It is different circumstances, but I still feel they somewhat relate. Just different mentalities though, nothing wrong with that.
It's just a thing everyone of us who hunts in grizz country has to or better make a plan for. The only rifle we will carry for bear protection is a 45-70 guide gun other than that it's big hand cannons on the chest, hunting rifles are strapped down on a backpack most of the time. Part of that is we deliberately take decision making out of the equation, if we run into a bear issue it's just react no thinking, also why we stopped carrying bear spray, trying to make that decision between spray or gun it to much lag time.

Curious, because I have always single fed my 338 edge and rums because I seated the bigger bullets out so far. Became a habit and now I catch myself doing it with my rounds that will feed.
I am first and foremost a hunter who enjoys accurate rifles. One of my routines at the range is to load the magazine and do a rapid fire offhand at 100 yds no matter which rifle I am shooting. This keeps me sharp for those quick offhand shots which I seem to get while hunting deer and moose. I usually still hunt or man dog. So far it works. 45 years and counting still keep a 2" to 3" group no matter what caliber at 100 yds. It works 10 moose and 45 deer all shot offhand some at 400 yds. many between 150 to 200 yds.

I often wonder how many bullet fail threads are related to rounds in the mag, I know I've had Accubond tips broken of from getting jack hammered in a mag box, I know Cutting edge bullets will get the tips jacked in a mag box and even feeding up the ramp. Berger's will get beat as well.

Where I hunt, there are big bears (and less concerning, wolves), there have been attacks within a bears roaming area of where I am at. So I always have a mag fed rifle, plus a 5 round .44 loaded with heavy cast bullets, and if stuff really hits the fan, I have a big knife always on me. A guy I know of that was from the same small town I am was killed a couple years back while elk guiding by a grizzly bear, pretty close to where we hunt. I simply won't be with just one round, and almost never hunt up there alone. I make sure my partner has a loaded gun as well, and we always talk about a plan if someone gets attacked at the onset of our hunt.

I also understand that precision ammunition should be carefully handled. At the range and while practicing, I single feed. But while hunting, if a 2nd round needs to come out of my magazine of my rifle into the chamber, there is likely a very good reason, and it's more important that it goes bang than if it gets a little scratched or dinged up getting there. The great majority of the time, the rounds I put in the magazine never get fed into the chamber, and live to be carefully placed into the chamber another day.
Question for you. What handgun is your 44 holding 5 rounds? I just ordered a Taurus tracker 44 for hunting in bear country and it hols 5.

Where I hunt, there are big bears (and less concerning, wolves), there have been attacks within a bears roaming area of where I am at. So I always have a mag fed rifle, plus a 5 round .44 loaded with heavy cast bullets, and if stuff really hits the fan, I have a big knife always on me. A guy I know of that was from the same small town I am was killed a couple years back while elk guiding by a grizzly bear, pretty close to where we hunt. I simply won't be with just one round, and almost never hunt up there alone. I make sure my partner has a loaded gun as well, and we always talk about a plan if someone gets attacked at the onset of our hunt.

I also understand that precision ammunition should be carefully handled. At the range and while practicing, I single feed. But while hunting, if a 2nd round needs to come out of my magazine of my rifle into the chamber, there is likely a very good reason, and it's more important that it goes bang than if it gets a little scratched or dinged up getting there. The great majority of the time, the rounds I put in the magazine never get fed into the chamber, and live to be carefully placed into the chamber another day.
Amen brother!

Question for you. What handgun is your 44 holding 5 rounds? I just ordered a Taurus tracker 44 for hunting in bear country and it hols 5.
If trusting his life on the 5 shot .44, I would guess its the S&W model 69.

I single feed my .300 RUM. I have an ammo carrier on the stock and van feed them pretty quickly. One can actually load single rounds in pretty quickly, if you practice.
My first time hunting whitetail, I sinfle get an M1A. I only had a 10 round magazine, and back in those days in MN, we could only use a 5 round mag. I was using the only rifle available to me.

I always load a full mag, 3 Rounds, in my 7mm WSM at the range and load from the mag. This is how I know that my setup will work when hunting. Great to see how the gun shoots by single feeding but 2nd shot hunting isnt the time to wish that you already knew you had feed issues. Works for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.