How many carry a 44 or similar when you are rifle hunting?

Yeah a .44 magnum is loud. Will you notice that during a bear charge? Nope.
Yeah, a .44 magnum revolvers heavy, even with a 4" barrel. With a VERY high pucker factor will you notice? Nope?
And yeah, even a ported .44 magnum kicks and makes it harder to get a new sight picture

But better three 300 grain rounds at a high velocity than 5 or 6 slower 300 grainers from a 10 mm that may just **** off a boar grizzly.

Eric B.

Eric,

As noted on #166, I have the same .44 Mag as yours (ported, 5-round) but I am seriously considering switching to 10MM (Glock 40 MOS with 3 15-round magazines).

5/6 rounds of ...

Buffalo bore .44 Mag 300.JPG

or

15 rounds of ...

Buffalo bore 10MM 220.JPG

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ...

But somebody with a revolver would have been out of rounds by that point.....you going to reload in that situation? Come on man....

That got me really thinking, with only 5-rounds in my .44 Mag, I know that reloading is out of the question on a charging bear esp. up close. I just hope I remember to save one for myself. 😇UCH!

My opinion of those that think many multiple rounds is the answer....is perhaps a "rethink" is in order. Many attacked by bears never get off 1 shot. If you are able to "get off" multiple rounds, as in more than 2 or three, you will highly investigated by the local G &F and the Feds. CSI ain't got $*** on the investigation that will insure. In the event, multiple rounds fired, likely it "will" be determined, that you responded with gunfire too early. If found guilty, your checkbook will suffer a huge hit, and it's possible (though unlikely) you may see jail time. Like it or not, right or wrong....the big bears are a protected species. Even where legal to hunt, an investigation will happen! Another point to be thought about, many prosecuting attorneys look for every means possible to "win"....they have "no" ethics. They may use your use of a high capacity firearm, as their courtroom diatribe, to suggest that you went looking for a fight....not avoiding a fight! This is just my opinion....Use your best judgement on how you handle the situation! memtb

My opinion of those that think many multiple rounds is the answer....is perhaps a "rethink" is in order. Many attacked by bears never get off 1 shot. If you are able to "get off" multiple rounds, as in more than 2 or three, you will highly investigated by the local G &F and the Feds. CSI ain't got $*** on the investigation that will insure. In the event, multiple rounds fired, likely it "will" be determined, that you responded with gunfire too early. If found guilty, your checkbook will suffer a huge hit, and it's possible (though unlikely) you may see jail time. Like it or not, right or wrong....the big bears are a protected species. Even where legal to hunt, an investigation will happen! Another point to be thought about, many prosecuting attorneys look for every means possible to "win"....they have "no" *Rule 1 Violation*s. They may use your use of a high capacity firearm, as their courtroom diatribe, to suggest that you went looking for a fight....not avoiding a fight! This is just my opinion....Use your best judgement on how you handle the situation! memtb
Come on man - this is fake news. Show me a case where they used a high capacity firearm against somebody in a bear defense situation. I can't believe anybody would post something like this.

Come on man - this is fake news. Show me a case where they used a high capacity firearm against somebody in a bear defense situation. I can't believe anybody would post something like this.

I didn't say it's been done, please take the advice in context! Nothing is beyond an attorney trying to make a name for him/her self. My comment was merely an addition to some well supported evidence! Hell....carry a "Gatling gun" if you want to. But, large capacity 10mm is likely to weigh considerably more than a lightweight .41/44 mag in 5 or 6 shot. If you get to use all of that large capacity magazine....I hope your wallet is deep! memtb

I didn't say it's been done, please take the advice in context! Nothing is beyond an attorney trying to make a name for him/her self. My comment was merely an addition to some well supported evidence! Hell....carry a "Gatling gun" if you want to. But, large capacity 10mm is likely to weigh considerably more than a lightweight .41/44 mag in 5 or 6 shot. If you get to use all of that large capacity magazine....I hope your wallet is deep!

It's also pretty well documented through time that those that rely upon numbers of rounds down range are generally less accurate than those with limited rounds available! Again, carry what you desire to! memtb

I didn't say it's been done, please take the advice in context! Nothing is beyond an attorney trying to make a name for him/her self. My comment was merely an addition to some well supported evidence! Hell....carry a "Gatling gun" if you want to. But, large capacity 10mm is likely to weigh considerably more than a lightweight .41/44 mag in 5 or 6 shot. If you get to use all of that large capacity magazine....I hope your wallet is deep!

It's also pretty well documented through time that those that rely upon numbers of rounds down range are generally less accurate than those with limited rounds available! Again, carry what you desire to! memtb
Stop it dude...no need to put unnecessary fear in people minds about a law suit. This is ridiculous. You are as bad as those liberal politicians we have In washington trying to spread fake news to make their points.

Seriously go back and read what you wrote - if you use a glock 20 and shoot more than a couple rounds at the bear you are opening up yourself to be prosecuted and law suits 🙄

Last edited:
OK Dude.....I have an opinion the same as you! Perhaps the best advice that could have been given, would be, if you're that paranoid about bears....avoid bear country. Or maybe, when in bear country take the rifle off of your shoulder and remove your head from your rectum! One well placed round from a rifle "trumps" " spray and pray" from a handgun.....especially if the handgun is still in the holster. If hunting in timber thick enough to hide an impending bear attack, the rifle should be in your hands. Or....would you prefer to shoulder the rifle and have the handgun in hand? Of course, your option is as valid as mine! memtb

Last edited:
OK Dude.....I have an opinion the same as you! Perhaps the best advice that could have been given, would be, if you're that paranoid about bears....avoid bear country. Or maybe, take the rifle off of your shoulder and remove your head from your rectum! One well placed round from a rifle "trumps" " spray and pray" from a handgun.....especially if the handgun is still in the holster. If hunting in timber thick enough to hide an impending bear attack, the rifle should be in your hands. Or....would you prefer to shoulder the rifle and have the handgun in hand? Of course, your option is as valid as mine! memtb
I think you do whatever you have to do to come home to your family. People can research it and decide for themselves what that means...I have never heard of someone being prosecuted for defending themselves against a bear attack with an semiauto handgun. Dumbest thing I have ever heard.

I think you do whatever you have to do to come home to your family. People can research it and decide for themselves what that means...I have never heard of someone being prosecuted for defending themselves against a bear attack with an semiauto handgun. Dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Well, at least we somewhat agree..... at least for the first 25 words or so! ;) Though, if coming back home from a wilderness hunt is the primary concern, perhaps that 45 or so ounce's could better go toward first aid equipment, a "sat" phone, a water purification device, ect, ect! . Just a thought from someone that's never ventured away from their living room! memtb

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.