How many carry a 44 or similar when you are rifle hunting?

VERY GRAPHIC!!!

...... I also left a link if you want to read up a little on Instagram. This should answer questions if you would want to carry a sidearm, spray or a big enough caliber. Stay safe!!

Dude!!! That is insane and totally gross! Never seen anything like that before - the video of him talking with his face torn off was more than I could take!

In grizz country I carry a SW329PD 44Mag at all times. The rifle is not always as handy, and the pistol comes in handy in a tent or to have right on you while cleaning game.

In the Midwest where we don't have bears I carry a 10mm 1911 Commander. We still have bobcats, meth heads, and the occasional mtn lion.

In grizz country I carry a SW329PD 44Mag at all times. The rifle is not always as handy, and the pistol comes in handy in a tent or to have right on you while cleaning game.

In the Midwest where we don't have bears I carry a 10mm 1911 Commander. We still have bobcats, meth heads, and the occasional mtn lion.
I cant find a taxidermist to do the methheads I guess they draw the line with skunks

Most the time a G20SF with 180gr FMJ handload (max) or Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrator from Underwoos, the G20 was setup for heavy loads as a semi-custom about the only thing on it that's still Glcok factory is the name.
G20%20Gen%203%20%2010%20mm%20022.JPG
G20%20Gen%203%20%2010%20mm%20014.JPG
G20%20Gen%203%20%2010%20mm%20017.JPG

Standard 45 factory Colt 255gr conical lead boolit @850fps in a 625 Mtn Gun... That load has killed and STILL KILLS most everything that walks in North America.. Been doing it since 1873... Almost 150 yrs;-)

In late February I bought a barely used (20 rounds) stainless, 4" barrel Tarus Tracker .44 magnum from my shooting buddy.
Got it for when I backpack in grizzly country. Yeah, it ain't a S&W but it's reliable and will do the job.
**Left hand a bear spray canister, right hand the .44 magnum Tarus Tracker. One of them - or both - should get the job done.

Eric B.

BTW, my buddy that sold me the Tarus also owns a new 8" Colt Anaconda .44 mag and 6" Colt King Cobra .357.

Last edited:
Use to carry a Ruger super red hawk in 454 Casull=too heavy to keep handy and brutal recoil with full house loads.
Now carry an EEA 10mm. Enough power and easy to get round off accuratly. It also is lite enough to keep handy.

I carry a Glock 21 in .460 Rowland. Normally it's when I carry my bigger more unwieldy rifle, however find it on my side more and more (especially in thick brush).
I carry a .460 Rowland 1911 any time I go out West. I've smoked 250 pound hogs with it hunting so I'm sure it would smoke a bear.

I've carried bear spray in Yosemite and Pennsylvania for black bear but never had to use it. Stones thrown at a juvenile by the Tulomene River chased it away from a camp but I had my spray in hand in case it got too ****ed.

"Left hand, bear spray canister. Right hand, .44 magnum 4" Tarus Tracker." Or both at the same time!

I never carry rifle hunting,unless im sitting on horse or spectator.Then if G bear area its a low ride airlite 44 -4''w/300 grn.Bow carry,or if no grizz,5-shot 3'' 357,or my Glock 19X. If you get tossed by pony,it happens,no fun walking out unarmed. Kid with his low ride,made a better one later as gift.Im same as his,but he has mtn gun 44.I lost that gun,took me 4 years to find in alder patch
IMG_0343.PNG

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.