How many actual snipers out their

G

Just wondering how may of you guys are or are actual presion rifle tactical opperators
wether it be military or police. Just wondering , I've been reading several articals by the claimed small arms expert
Chuck Taylor.

I'm reading and thinking more and more that this guy is clueless about actual urban sniping and counter sniping , from all aspects , guns,calibers,scopes and range finding needs.

Any of you guys read his stuff of have any coments

I'm a former sniper....but I gave it up....too hard to get that blaimed bird to run into the bag....
grin.gif

Sorry fellas, I couldn't help myself....
rolleyes.gif

db

Current slotted swat sniper. Have not heard of or read anything by Taylor. Judging by what you quoted in your last post I would have to agree with the idiot comment. I use factory Black Hills Match 168 SMK's. I've been through 3 sniper schools and all of the shooters I've met were using either the Black Hills Match or Federal Gold Medal match. Never seen anyone using reloads or FMJ's for tactical situations. Not saying that it isn't done, just that I've never heard of it. The calibers that I've seen have been mostly .308, with some 300Wm or 7mm Mags thrown in.
Just my .02 for what it is worth.

OH, and a far as the drop data, I have been taught to not rely on published data, get out and shoot and develope data that is based on your rifle-ammo combination, that is the only reliable method.

huntin1

[ 06-09-2004: Message edited by: huntin1 ]

I am a (B4) Department of the Army Sniper and Former Special Forces Target Interdiction Instructor, never heard of that guy?
Cal. used 5.56, 7.62, 300WM, 338LM and 50 BMG, for 7.62 we use Lake City M118 SB

[ 06-09-2004: Message edited by: fmsniper ]

Don't want to step on the toes of those who posted, but be aware of asking such a question. In general, the guys who are snipers aren't going to tell and the guys who say they are are wanna be's....

Not 100% true...Really it is no secret if you look up any of us on the military web sites it has are MOS and some ASI information... it is no big deal for people to know that we are Snipers. To Graduate from Army or Marine sniper school is an Honor and with a 70% Failure rate it is saying allot, so why not be proud of it... the job is not top secret only the missions..

But you do have a point, some claim to be what they are not...

fmsniper,
your right, those guys (and you) should be proud of your MOS. But you got my point that there is a lot of those who would claim to be something they are not. I work pretty close with the sniping community and most of the snipers I know don't hide it but they don't run around spouting off about it either...

Don't really think I spouted off, the man asked a question and I answered to the best of my knowledge. He pointed out some blatant misconseptions(sp) that I thought needed to be cleared up. But I do see your point about posers and wannabe's.

huntin1

I maay not be a sniper, but I do believe
Taylor to be an idiot. He seems more like a big mouth that makes alot of money claiming to know it all about tactical.

Taos , thanks for saying what I was thinking.

He stated in this artical that police snipers only use the 308 FMJ ball rounds because it is what the military uses and all the drop data has been covered. And that a ball round is perfectly suffecient due to police snipers usualy only taking head shots so bullet expansion is not a factor. Until now I have never heard of a police marksman using and sort of FMJ for anything.
He also has all these wildcats bulit as "tactical" rifles and has all these loads worked up using only Barnes bullets.
To my knowledge I don't know of any sharpshooter that uses any sort of handloads due to the liability factor. I have only seen 4 calibers chambered in a police sniper rifle that was actualy 10-8 , those are the 223 , 308 , 30-06 and 300win mag. I believe that these are the most popular due to the broad range of available "match" ammo , which by the way uses a target bullet.

Anyway , rant mode off , I don't even like to read "Special Weapons " magazine anymore because I know that I'm gonna read some retarded artical by this clown.

I feel like I want to say a bunch here but I'm afraid I'm not going to contribute much. Oh well, free speech right?

Concerning Mr. taylor I have read many articles by him but it has been awhile so I don't remember anything in particular that stands out. That in its self is a fairly big statement though. Since I am a (mostly) self taught gun owner and I have spent a great deal of time reading volumes of information about all aspects of defensive shooting one would figure I would remember some aspect that was presented by Mr. Taylor in some insightful way. I remember teachings from Jeff Cooper, Ross Seyfreid (sp), Louis Awerbuck Massad Ayoob (lots from him) and others but no gem of knoledge from Mr. Taylor. HHMMM, seems odd.

The one thing I do remember is the garb worn and the posturing for **** near every photo he was seen in. I have seen this "look" before on one single (non hollywood) person. This same person taught a CCW class and spent the first 10 minutes of the class doing quick draw stuff so to inpress his class with how good a pistoleer he was. He wore all black to his class (including cowboy hat and shades) and had a small grenade medallion around his neck on a gold chain. To top it off his Lisence plate read "MERCNRY". OH please.

I also encountered this guy at a full auto fun shoot. He was shooting a .50 BMG bolt gun of some sort at a 300 yard engine block. Long story short, he spent so long prepping the gun between shots that the crowd that gathered to watch him simply left and went back to shooting the small arms. AND he NEVER hit the engine block.

If Mr. taylor is as much like this guy as he appears then I would have to say that "Idiot" is an accurate claim. (I know, looks don't mean anything but body language speaks loudly.)

I will be shooting this weekend with a real ex-marine sniper. I'll ask him if he knows of Mr. Taylors works.

BTW this marine sniper would never wear his title like a badge but he will freely share his knoledge and experience with friends. No BS. No posing. Just straight talk and straight shooting.

Lastly as a former gun counter employee and a lifelong gun counter visitor I would have to say that if every guy that told me he was a SEAL or a sniper was telling the truth they would be the largest units in the military.

My.02

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.