How long is too long?

4xforfun

I'll skip the story.....so....338 EDGE for ELR comp. Platform will be my 85 pound IBS HG (85 LB's). Going to chamber up another EDGE tube. 1.45" straight taper. Obviously weight is of no concern. Looking for all out speed without degrading accuracy. Is 36 inches too long? 300 GR Bergers, ADG brass, Lots of H1000, Retumbo, RL25 and 33, on hand and have my own reamer.

Go.......

Depends on who you ask.
Bruce Baer told me 30" was long enough for my 338 Big Baer, but i wasent convinced so it has a 34".
He put a 30" on my sons 338x378.
Years back he put a 36" on my brother in laws because thats what he wanted, and it's about 50 fps faster than my sons.
So the answer to that story is, dont ask Bruce.

How is the edge doing for you in comp. I have a 77 pound 300wsm that has a 1.450 barrel also. Was wanting something faster with better bc myself.
Shep

338 EDGE for ELR comp.

How far is ELR to you?

Which ELR comp.? Each different sponsoring group has a different set of rules. Some deal with weight limits while other have rules about the number of teammates. It pays to do the legwork ahead of time reviewing the rules for the competitions you wish to shoot in.

As far as getting started in the longer range shooting, the Edge is a nicely balanced cartridge when loaded properly with a super achieving bullet. It is at the lower end of capacity for 2 miles though so bullet choice is more critical.

While Berger makes some excellent bullets, that 300 grain is not the best for ranges longer than 2,000 yards. When I ran the Edge I tried to make the slightly lesser bullets work and kept missing the mark. I switched to the Warner Flat Lines first then switched again to the Lehigh Defense Match 245 gr. Both of these outperformed the Berger. H-1000 worked well for me but you can try VVN-565 or Ramshot Magnum will work.

Be sure to check the twist rate required for these bullets. 36" is plenty for this cartridge.

I only shoot 1000 yard comp at Williamsport PA. The wind is a problem there so that's why I was looking for more bc.
Shep

2000 yard comp this summer. I may play with it at IBS 1000 yard matches when the weather is HELL, but I already shoot a 300 WSM in HG. I am going to shoot my Hunting rifle in the 2000 LG class (30 inch EDGE..300 @ 2960). Could probably just save my $ and shoot MY Hunting gun in both classes.....but what fun would that be.;)

I have done lots of steel in the 1000 - 1500 range, but have only plinked in the 2000 yard range a few times, but never for groups in comp.

Tod

How far is ELR to you?

Which ELR comp.? Each different sponsoring group has a different set of rules. Some deal with weight limits while other have rules about the number of teammates. It pays to do the legwork ahead of time reviewing the rules for the competitions you wish to shoot in.

As far as getting started in the longer range shooting, the Edge is a nicely balanced cartridge when loaded properly with a super achieving bullet. It is at the lower end of capacity for 2 miles though so bullet choice is more critical.

While Berger makes some excellent bullets, that 300 grain is not the best for ranges longer than 2,000 yards. When I ran the Edge I tried to make the slightly lesser bullets work and kept missing the mark. I switched to the Warner Flat Lines first then switched again to the Lehigh Defense Match 245 gr. Both of these outperformed the Berger. H-1000 worked well for me but you can try VVN-565 or Ramshot Magnum will work.

Be sure to check the twist rate required for these bullets. 36" is plenty for this cartridge.
I have a similar situation coming up, a much lighter 338 RUM but pretty long at 32".

I want to shoot solids for 1 mile and longer and maybe try 227 grain Nosler E-tip for a cheap magazine length solid.

Do you have any advice for how those solids like to be loaded?

The interesting thing in that article to me is the note about visible barrel whip with a 46" long 1.25" straight cylinder barrel.

I have to see if I can find a tapered column stiffness formula I can use to compare.

Going to chamber up another EDGE tube. 1.45" straight taper.

The interesting thing in that article to me is the note about visible barrel whip with a 46" long 1.25" straight cylinder barrel.

I have to see if I can find a tapered column stiffness formula I can use to compare.

While the math explanation is very interesting and applicable, some of this effect can be neutralized by using a barrel block. I use these on most of my barrels over 30" when the weight limit allows for it. And since you state that weight is no problem...;) This one is from Corbin Shell's .416 Barrett ELR rifle:

corbin1902.jpg

Barrel Block_resized2.jpg

20914481_1904818129768358_4217190490432764951_n-jpg.1030340

images

These barrel blocks can be made any length which you deem appropriate, mine run from 5" to 10" just because that range works for the barrel lengths I use currently. Plain or fancy doesn't make any difference.

The idea is that the effective barrel length and resulting harmonics start from the end of the block so you essentially shorten the barrel when its held in a block. Yes you have to make alterations to your stock or you design a stock with an interchangeable block right from the start.

Jerry Teo's block system:
5191b1d1d10d55ad112d32ea71a35394.jpg

There are a few gunsmiths who have the opposite opinon but that never surprises me as they want to stand out for being different.;)

Enjoy!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.