how important is zero-stop?

Derek M.

I have many of the VX-III Leupold scopes in 4.5x14x40 AO.

I want to put a simple MOA turret on elevation only on 4-5 of them. Leupold is recommending a target knob but said that the zero-stop would not come with that modification and that I'd need shims added.

So, what does everyone think?

1. is there another knob I can replace it with and I just want MOA adjustments. I'll tape the drop on the stock with the given load. I don't want custom turrets in case I change load, barrel, etc.
2. do I need zero-stop? What will it do for me?

Thanks

only NEED it if you are working in total darkness. Nice to have but if you never have had it you won't miss it.

Nope dont need one
Just zero your gun and carefully turn the dial down untill it stops
note on your drop chart how many moa it is from the bottom to your zero.
This is very handy incase you forget to reset your dial things get moved by accident
retiredcpo

Nope dont need one
Just zero your gun and carefully turn the dial down untill it stops
note on your drop chart how many moa it is from the bottom to your zero.
This is very handy incase you forget to reset your dial things get moved by accident
retiredcpo
DITTO DITTO. mY KID HAS MESSED my scope up a few times. I marked one w/ sharpie inside flip down mag. I think Grey bull makes a stop for the VARI 3. I would like to know how they do it.I dont see it climb like my mark 4 or it is finer thread.I made one for my mark 4 easy and like it.

Raise your hand with me if you've ever missed a deer because you lost track of your revolutions.

Becarefull with some of the zero stops out there I have heard alot of problems with them. more bad than good
retiredcpo

I wasn't aware leupold made any sort of Zero Stop.

I have some of them on some Nightforce scopes. They were more beneficial before Nightforce went to the high speed turrets. What I mean is; they don't help as much when one revolution of the turret goes 20 moa as compared to when that same one revolution only went 10 moa. 20 moa in the first revolution will get you out pretty far with most cartridges.........how far you wanna shoot??

IMO, the primary benefit of the ZS is when we loose track of how many revolutions we've dialed into the turret or when the light is low enough that we can't see the "zero indicator" or the revolution counter marks.

I've seen it happen a couple of times where the knob got turned accidentally or in the wrong direction, sometimes a miss at the target is the only way we notice it. Other times, we've noticed it was off, but didnt' know how many revolutions it was off. The ZS is very nice to have in these situations.

I have many of the VX-III Leupold scopes in 4.5x14x40 AO.

So, what does everyone think?

1. is there another knob I can replace it with and I just want MOA adjustments. I'll tape the drop on the stock with the given load. I don't want custom turrets in case I change load, barrel, etc.
2. do I need zero-stop? What will it do for me?

Thanks

We are using the exact same scope you are using. With that in mind and along with Len's above post I will give you my .02 cent opinion.

1. You can put a zero stop on your existing scope and after 3 years and I don't know how many ups and downs we have had no problems. This is what I would suggest you do also. If you want to PM me I will gladly steer you to the source that did the work and one I trust.

2. If you are going to use your scope for only paper/steel then you may not need a zero stop. If you are going to hunt with it then my opinion says a zero stop is mandatory. It only takes one instance in the heat of the battle in the field for you to screw up - been there done that - spring bear hunting - I'm still kicking myself for my stupidity.

Raise your hand with me if you've ever missed a deer because you lost track of your revolutions.

... or if you turned the turret the wrong way...

If you are going to hunt with it then my opinion says a zero stop is mandatory. It only takes one instance in the heat of the battle in the field for you to screw up - been there done that - spring bear hunting - I'm still kicking myself for my stupidity.

Been there, done that.

Any chance you can post who adds a zero stop to a scope?

I love the ZS on my NF i missed a big aoudad this year because i lost count. if it takes the guess work out of it. it can pay for its self.

What other scope beside NF has ZS's???????????????????????

The email I got from Trent at Leupold:

Derek,

Your scopes will not be converted to zero stop with the Target adjustment. However, we can send shims along with the scope so, you can set the dial with a zero stop. Just include in your letter a request for zero stop shims.

Best Regards,

Trent

The email I got from Trent at Leupold:

Derek,

Your scopes will not be converted to zero stop with the Target adjustment. However, we can send shims along with the scope so, you can set the dial with a zero stop. Just include in your letter a request for zero stop shims.

Best Regards,

Trent

I recall having a conversation with Tikkamike about adding a zero stop to a Leupy, but for the life of me I can't remember which turret. IIRC he had a 'smith add the stop to a turret? It would be worth your time to drop him a PM.

sbruce,
The MK4 M5-A Leupy (Locking turret model) does come with a zero stop, I've had mine for ~a few months & am very pleased with what they have done.

My Vortex PST has a ZS feature. It is installed by the owner after zeroing the scope. It uses shims and is very easy to install. Also very efficient.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts