How Important Is Side Parallax for 0-600 Yard Hunting?

CrankyYankee

Hello all.

I would like to get some thoughts and experiences hunting game out to 600 yards and whether or not you feel a side parallax adjustment is necessary or not. Figure Deer/Antelope to Elk/Moose. I chose 600 yards max because that is the distance I feel confident in making a cold bore shot with my 300WM. From a bipod or bench, under 10". Laying down off of a pack, under 14". This is with a NF 5-25x56, but I'dlike to get a smaller and lighter scope before heading to WY. I can't decide if I NEED parallax adjustment or not. Of course whether I shoot from other positions or not will depend on how steady I feel, wind...etc. We all know the benefits of adjusting parallax at farther distances, but this isn't benchrest.

Without getting off topic on all the variables to consider when taking the shot, let's assume the variables are there and you feel good about it. Who hunts, and consistently connects using a scope with adjusting for parallax and who uses a fixed parallax scope?

For arguments sake, take a reliable 2-10x50 fixed parallax scope and a 3-18x50 scope with side parallax.

With the 2-10x50 fixed parallax, as long as you kept your eye centered and didn't have any shadowing, you should be ok... correct??? Does anyone have experience doing this out to 600 yards?

With the 3-18x50, if the parallax is adjusted... OK. But if you forget to adjust, or don't have time to adjust, would the parallax being off make a huge difference (assuming the picture is clear enough to see)? Is an adjustable parallax a necessity?

Of course I could conduct my own tests, but time and extra ammo isn't something I have alot of. This is information gathering to see if I need to go there. I will practice extensively with whatever scope I purchase before the hunt.

What are your thoughts?

Side parallax is vital for me - I use it to check the wind. I dial the focus between me and the target, check the mirage, then dial into focus and shoot. Here is a shot today at 790 yards (only one I shot at that distance today):

Attachments

• DD58F467-2C52-4A8A-A3FA-76403675FCA5.jpeg
    DD58F467-2C52-4A8A-A3FA-76403675FCA5.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 240
for out to 500 - 600 yard hunting I don't want side focus , it's just something more to mess with at crunch time . I had a side focus scope , for use at these closer ranges , and sold it . at longer ranges , and higher power scopes , I want side focus . I use the leupold 4.5-14 with the adj obj scopes for close hunting . for hunting I let the AO set at 100 yards . for range shooting I set the AO to target distance .

edit to add ;

forgot to mention my last scope I purchased for this type of hunting was a 2-12 leupold VX6 .

Hello all.

I would like to get some thoughts and experiences hunting game out to 600 yards and whether or not you feel a side parallax adjustment is necessary or not. Figure Deer/Antelope to Elk/Moose. I chose 600 yards max because that is the distance I feel confident in making a cold bore shot with my 300WM. From a bipod or bench, under 10". Laying down off of a pack, under 14". This is with a NF 5-25x56, but I'dlike to get a smaller and lighter scope before heading to WY. I can't decide if I NEED parallax adjustment or not. Of course whether I shoot from other positions or not will depend on how steady I feel, wind...etc. We all know the benefits of adjusting parallax at farther distances, but this isn't benchrest.

Without getting off topic on all the variables to consider when taking the shot, let's assume the variables are there and you feel good about it. Who hunts, and consistently connects using a scope with adjusting for parallax and who uses a fixed parallax scope?

For arguments sake, take a reliable 2-10x50 fixed parallax scope and a 3-18x50 scope with side parallax.

With the 2-10x50 fixed parallax, as long as you kept your eye centered and didn't have any shadowing, you should be ok... correct??? Does anyone have experience doing this out to 600 yards?

With the 3-18x50, if the parallax is adjusted... OK. But if you forget to adjust, or don't have time to adjust, would the parallax being off make a huge difference (assuming the picture is clear enough to see)? Is an adjustable parallax a necessity?

Of course I could conduct my own tests, but time and extra ammo isn't something I have alot of. This is information gathering to see if I need to go there. I will practice extensively with whatever scope I purchase before the hunt.

What are your thoughts?

Like a lot of things we got along without adjustable parallax for a very long time.

Is it beneficial? You bet.

On fixed parallax scopes you can even have the manufacturer set it for a specific range if you're shooting beyond 400yds.

Am I crippled without it? No, especially in my lower power scopes from 1x to 12X but at long range with higher magnification it can cause some issues.

I shoot at small targets, from like 75 to 750 yards with 18X to 20X scopes & use the AO or side focus continually. I also scan other features like mirage, blowing leaves/grass between me & target. The side focus is sure easier to use. Most fixed parallax scopes are set for 100 yards. Close up, like 25 yards or under, with lower power scopes requires centering view.

In my early days of LRH, which would be considered mid-range hunting today, I used 3x9x- 4.5x14x scopes without parallax controls. Paid more attention to centering my sight picture, but otherwise it worked out fine for shots to 600 yards or so. I still have an 70's vintage, Redfield Accu-Trac 3x9 on one of my older Remington 308's. and an early Leupold 3x9 MK4 on my AR15 coyote rifle. No problem with "minute of coyote" with either.

Inside of 600 I don't see a need for side focus on scopes up to 14-18x power.
Have lived without it for a very long time.
Is it nice to have on say a 4.5-27x50 scope for longer work….sure and it will it also do it closer, but it's not necessary.
I have quite a few scopes with AO feature and like that too, but I also have fixed parallax scopes and don't hinder a 600 yard shot in the field.
I think it's what you're used to moreso than functionality.

Cheers.

No to 600yds its not needed IMO. You can simply move eye back until slight black ring in scope and then center reticle in that black ring on longer shots this effectively eliminates the parallax error. However as other have said having adjustable parallax can be useful in reading mirage for wind.

Thank you for all the responses.

As some stated above, parallax is very beneficial when shooting smaller targets at longer ranges. When hitting small steel beyon 600, I absolutely use a scope with it. But I'm referring to "minute of deer" ( hate that term), when your window is only a few seconds after spotting the game anywhere from 0-600 yards. 8x-10x is enough to make an accurate shot on deer or Elk out to 600 (my eyes are still 20/20). When hunting, I prefer the least amount of magnification needed to make an accurate hit. But when target practicing, I definitely dial the magnification up.

I have a Steiner Predator Extreme 2-10x50 that I love at 23 oz, but was wondering if I would be losing something using it vs getting MK5 HD 3.8-18x44 at 26 oz. I'd like to not go any heavier, and can't afford a TT 3-15x50.

So on the Leupy, I could set the parallax at 400, 600, infinity (whichever) and take the quick shot? Or would I be handicapping myself some how?

I know parallax becomes more crucial in magnification over 10x, but assuming shooting below 10x, is it crucial to 400-600 yards?? I guess that's what I'm getting at.

I agree with you on that Lancekenyon, but do you think you could put the Steiner 2-10x50 without a parallax adjustment on your rifle and still connect confidently out to 600 yards?

Thank you for all the responses.

I know parallax becomes more crucial in magnification over 10x, but assuming shooting below 10x, is it crucial to 400-600 yards?? I guess that's what I'm getting at.

For me....I shot "long range" for as long as I can remember. Started hunting in Mid 70's. It was not even something talked about....you just held over and killed it. We didn't have fancy scopes and reticles. You were something if you had a 3x9 instead of a fixed 4-6x. I understand there is all kinds of information out now and it all has validity. Your last sentence made me think of what I tell new shooters....DONT OVER THINK THIS JUST FOCUS ON YOUR SHOOTING AND YOU WILL BE FINE.