how important are primers (brand)

skuna boy

when developing loads, how much difference might one expect to see between a CCI mag 250 vs a fed 215 mag match or 91/2 remington?

especially in 300 short mag and 300 RUMs?

when developing loads, how much difference might one expect to see between a CCI mag 250 vs a fed 215 mag match or 91/2 remington? especially in 300 short mag and 300 RUMs?
If you get a very uniform lot of primers, probably no difference. One's probably hotter than the other which means muzzle velocity might be a bit faster.

Federals tend to be the most uniform of the three mentioned. I don't know of anybody using CCI primers in competion, but there's probably a few. Wolf primers from Russia seem to be the favorite these days 'cause there very uniform and don't deteriorate with age nearly as fast as other.

when developing loads, how much difference might one expect to see between a CCI mag 250 vs a fed 215 mag match or 91/2 remington?

especially in 300 short mag and 300 RUMs?

In my best rifles, I've noticed serious differences.
For example, I use Rem 9 1/2 primers (not magnums) for my 7mm Rem Mag it shoots 3 loads sub 1/2 moa with those primers. While using Magnum primers, it barely stays around 1 moa. With my 300WSM, CCI BR2's are without a doubt the best. For my 338 Allen Magnum, I need the hottest primer available, so I use Fed 215's. My 338 Edge shoots sub 1/2moa as well, but I've never used anything but CCI 250s in it, so I don't know what it'd do with the hot federals.

For me, the primers make a difference, but the rifles that I've noticed have primer preferences are real shooters. I have a couple rifles that only shoot 1 moa or so and I'd have problems noticing any primer preference with them.

AJ

Primers make a difference for me also. My standard practice is to work up a load with one primer brand to it's most accurate. Then back off the powder some and work up with different primers to find THE MOST ACCURATE of them all and stick with that one. I have found THE LOAD with about every primer brand in different calibers and different rifles. You just need to find the one that works best for your particular rifle.

If you get a very uniform lot of primers, probably no difference. One's probably hotter than the other which means muzzle velocity might be a bit faster.

Federals tend to be the most uniform of the three mentioned. I don't know of anybody using CCI primers in competion, but there's probably a few. Wolf primers from Russia seem to be the favorite these days 'cause there very uniform and don't deteriorate with age nearly as fast as other.
CCI Primers are big in Magnum loads, especially the CCI Br2. I get standard deviation of 5 FPS between five shots with CCI BR2's and H1000.
Never tried Wolf but a lot of .308 and 30BR shooter use it. At least according to 6mmbr.com
Had ho hum results with federal.

Yes, I know this is an old thread. However, I have found that the closer you get to max pressures, the more component changes can effect velocities/pressures. If you end up using a different brand of prilmer while using mid range loads there are often no noticeable change. Powder lot # changes can probably have the greatest chances of change but anytime you're in the max range, using due caution can save you time and possible grief. Checking and confirming both velocity/pressure and accuracy is a very, very good idea!
Cheers,
crkckr