How i Test Ballistic Coefficients-Matrix 175gr

It's less the VLD part and more the ogive that makes some bullets a little temperamental to tune. The more aggressive secant design like a typical Berger can be more sensitive but you get the BC but the other side is the tangent ogive which tends to be mellow but you give up some BC, the Matrix is more tangent and is super mellow IMO to load for. I set them up initially .20 of the lands and I haven't found a lot of change moving them in or out, we load a couple way of the lands so they can mag feed and they shoot outstanding there as well.
In more than one rifle we've loaded for the groups were cut way down going to the Matrix, they have been the easiest and most accurate 270 cal bullet I've loaded.

1e2f7_ORIG-bowdown_gif.gif

The man has spoken!! Thanks once again, BnG!!

I'm shooting the 165 Matrix in my 270 STW and as you would guess not even close to the lands and it don't make any difference, getting 1/2" 3 shot groups at 200 yds with them.

Mulehunter,
That sure is impressive shooting, but more importantly, its great to see someone else who is as methodical in calculating his BC's from drop as we are. You often see all sorts of BC's bandied about by various "witchdoctor ballisticians" who have obviously discovered how to beat gravity, but no mention of how they come by these exaggerated BC's.

The use of sky screen chronos in ambient light can give you some widely varying results in different conditions that make a huge difference to your BC calcs. Inaccurate rangefinders is another variable that can give you some significant errors. We measured all our ranges from 100 yards to 1 mile with surveyors EDM measuring gear which is accurate to + or - .25inch at 1000 yards.
We also don't shoot our scopes adjustment calibration, we actually clamp the scope in a jig and measure the adjustments right through its range on a precise grid at an exactly measured 100 yards from the scopes turrets. We also leave the "up" in the scope after say shooting at a mile, and then straight away reshoot it at 100 yards and measure exactly how much up we actually had in, to work out our drops. No scope can be trusted to move what they say they will, even Nightforces!
As we measure both velocity and pressure with the Oehler 43 when we're shooting for BC, we can then correct the velocities we got on the mile range under ambient light conditions to those we've shot in our very accurate lightbox setup on the 100 yard range verses pressure and come up with a corrected accurate velocity for each shot.
We then calculate the drop for each bullet, verses its muzzle velocity, and come up with that individual shot's BC's. We like to see them vary by less than 3% to know we're getting some consistency, then we'll average them to come up with our average BC using Bryan's Point Mass solver. If you're getting BC's way above trusted sources like Bryan's database, then there's an error in your system somewhere. If something sounds too good to be true, it most probably is!

Looking forward to your continued testing!

No scope can be trusted to move what they say they will, even Nightforces!

Totally agree.

Do you have any bullets that you have tested using your method that you would post your results here on?

My testing method is for practical accuracy using my personal system. It's proven for me to the limits of my current capabilities (1,400yds). If i decide to stretch the distance of my setup i might have to take your approach.

MuleHunter,
The bullets we've tested and have come up with what we feel are accurate for us G7 BC's, and I can remember or lay my hands on the results right now as we're still using them are:

7mm's
162gn A-Max @ 3100fps to 3350fps = .305 to .308
175gn SMK @ 3200 to 3300fps = .325 to .327
180gn Berger Hybrid @ 3200 to 3415fps = .342 to .347
200gn Wildcat @ 3250fps = .71G1, weren't using G7 then, about .360 G7.

30's
208 A-Max @ 3000 to 3100fps = .320 to .325

338's
252gn CE Max Ag @ 3350 to 3550fps = .340 to .345
300gn Berger Hybrids @ 3250fps = .422

375's
400 and 402gn CE @ 3035fps = .453

We have also tested 7mm Cautericios and Berger VLD's, 338 SMK's and some 6.5's but can't remember their figures off the top of my head.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.