How I prepare my knees for 8 western mountain backpacking trips per year...at age 77

Truly IMPRESSIVE Len!

I'm 52 and in the best shape of my adult life but no where near your abilities.

I experienced a little knee pain last year while hauling an elk qtr. down hill.

I do the stretches above daily and didn't think of doing it often though out the hunt.

I've incorporated a HIIT routine into my prep this year as well as these two from the Knee's over Toe's guy. He is a huge proponent of pushing / pulling a weighted sled and deep lunges which stretch the legs.

The weighted sled push / pull is a great leg workout combined with excellent cardio so it builds some efficiency into your workout.

I love the knees over toes videos. Saw him on joe Rogan. He has a coach I paid 50/ month for online but the videos were most helpful. He has shoulder exercisles. walking backwards on treadmill (power off) toe raises also. 10 min a day

Wow that video content is amazing. I wonder where or how I can try that out.

Thanks for the idea.
+100 on the Kneesovertoesguy. His content is legit and worth it. Even doing a single exercise will open your eyes! Reverse sled pull is the most simple but requires a little more room and thought. I use my big Otter sled across my yard, grassy or snowy...thro tires and stuff in it to vary weight. One can also push a car in neutral, drag a heavy tire. I use a wide tow strap for my pull rope. Also, walking backwards uphill is great also. Obviously, need a wider smoother section of trail for that, trekking poles and a backup alarm 🚨 wouldn't hurt either, get some looks at the local hill but I have plenty of one-liners for em😂

"Agreed on the backup camera. Pulling a sled backwards at the gym requires eyes in the back of my head as someone is always cutting across the floor space."

Be sure to post a link if you end up finding and purchasing a camera. :)

I'll turn 51 this summer and am currently 3 weeks post partial knee replacement on my right knee. Through my late 30's and mid 40's I was an ultra-runner on high altitude mountain trails. I could hike and hunt for just about as long as I wanted until the cartilage on the inside of the right knee completely disappeared.
My plan for this spring & summer is....I live on the mtn bike (hills, hills, hills), low impact squats & lunges, hikes with a weighted back pack. For legs and cardio.

I'll turn 51 this summer and am currently 3 weeks post partial knee replacement on my right knee. Through my late 30's and mid 40's I was an ultra-runner on high altitude mountain trails. I could hike and hunt for just about as long as I wanted until the cartilage on the inside of the right knee completely disappeared.
My plan for this spring & summer is....I live on the mtn bike (hills, hills, hills), low impact squats & lunges, hikes with a weighted back pack. For legs and cardio.
I'm in my mid 60's, last year I started walking to get ready for my hunt in Nebraska, it's not Colorado, but the rivines that had knee high grass in them kicked my butt the year before. I had a full knee replacement in 2019, with a lot of problem post surgery. I worked up to 1.5 mile and I had a backpack with 25 lbs in it. I was all ready for Nebraska until 2 days before we left and I got sick. I have NO idea what I got other than I was sick as I have ever been, it was not covid, at least that's what the test said, anyway I could barely breath, I had to set up a groundblind stand like hunting whitetail. Here it is 5 months later and I'm still having breathing problems, not like Nebraska, but I'm slowly getting back into it. We take our health for granite until it's not there any longer, so if you can do it get off the couch and get out there and do it before you can no longer do it if you want to.

I'm in my mid 60's, last year I started walking to get ready for my hunt in Nebraska, it's not Colorado, but the rivines that had knee high grass in them kicked my butt the year before. I had a full knee replacement in 2019, with a lot of problem post surgery. I worked up to 1.5 mile and I had a backpack with 25 lbs in it. I was all ready for Nebraska until 2 days before we left and I got sick. I have NO idea what I got other than I was sick as I have ever been, it was not covid, at least that's what the test said, anyway I could barely breath, I had to set up a groundblind stand like hunting whitetail. Here it is 5 months later and I'm still having breathing problems, not like Nebraska, but I'm slowly getting back into it. We take our health for granite until it's not there any longer, so if you can do it get off the couch and get out there and do it before you can no longer do it if you want to.
I had both knees replaced about three years ago. I prepared for my yearly Utah deer hunt by walking three miles with 27 pounds of water bottles in my backpack. Looking forward to working up to 27 pounds again. Hunt to live. Live to hunt.

Watching and reading this closely. Have a complete tendon tear in my left foot which I'm waiting to have fixed. Since happening, the favoring and changed walking style has put some added pressure on my knee. Foot Surgery scheduled for after my Coues hunt in November. I'll be down for 2 months in a boot and then rehab begins. I'm just glad I didn't draw a coveted Az Archery Elk tag this year as there's no way I could've handled it.
Staying in good over all shape is a great idea, but…….

I guess anyone, or 'anyone', with post surgery, I would suggest helicopter recovery insurance. You tear or break tendons you ain't walking out on your own, and trying to do so may make you a man that can't do these hunts again.

After 65, even in pretty good shape, I started prescribing to one for the sake of all others on the trip and the worry it takes off the family.

You guys are making me feel bad that nothing is wrong with me! At 75 years young and living at 5,000 feet I work out 3 days a week. Sets of 25 squats on an upside down Bosu ball have helped my legs and balance a lot. A couple of single leg balance/strength exercises and calf raises. Then super sets for upper body. Ending my regimen with lots of stretches including Indian/Asian sitting between several exercises.

I haven't treated myself well. Severed all 4 tendons in my right rotator in a Moab mountain biking. Miserable 7 miles biking out one armed. Broke a leg back country skiing and got myself out driving a manual transmission truck out of the mountains. Blown out ACL alpine skiing. Guess I'm a bit clumsy. Severed a tendon in each forearm. LOL!

Having an acre of land, I also garden a lot shoveling/hauling/spreading mulch and compost, digging, planting, transplanting, etc, etc.

I live a charmed life I guess. Every day I think about being blessed by my health. You guys are all an inspiration to me! Keep up the good work!

Blew out left knee breaking a horse earlier twenties. Scoped. Tweaked, same knee on dirt bike a couple years later. Just always dealt with the pain. I started training to backpack the Appalachian trail when I semi-retired at 51. I used backpack weighted with water bottles up and down stairs, a 14" step up with dumb bells, and then the same with one leg fully extended backwards just for balance training. Those were my top three. I had no knee pain the whole six months! No wonder my doctor 30 years earlier said the best thing I could do was to strengthen the muscles around the knee.
At 64, I finally decided to go in for another scope in 2 months.

I will say to never train on pavement! That will trash your feet and lower legs including the knees. I realize everyone doesn't have daily access to trails, but it's worth the extra drive to find a dirt trail or even a dirt road. For my daily walks, I use a combination of red dirt roads, logging roads, and a couple logging trails that haven't overgrown.

I am reading with interest. I'm 69, and have partial tears in both Meniscus. Left one is just about fully healed. I'm being treated by Orthopedic Surgeon with Hylauronic Acid (chicken comb gel in both knees), and go to him two weeks before leaving for Chama for cortizone in both knees.

I was wondering about a knee brace to support the knees while mountaineering. Doctor said it couldn't hurt, but he didn't really expound on what type of knee brace. The ones he has are about $750 each, and insurance won't cover it.

Just wondering if anyone in same boat has had good luck with any particular knee brace that can be worn while hunting that may apply lateral support to the knee.
Months late here..I had my left knee replaced in mid-February. Still aches, but I purchased an elastic knee sleeve off of E-bay for $12 or so. Works like a champ for me. Aching is a lot less. 78 now and am planning to hike rim to river in the Grand Canyon in October, if I can get a permit.

Impressive, Len.

I am just a young pup at 70. TKR on both knees, and severe Asthma that does not take much to trigger it, exercise being one, both shoulders awaiting replacement, sometimes I feel I am just SOL. But, just have to keep on trucking.

Can't do more than a mile walk a day, and this is my password to the garage, my hobby machine shop. A couple of hundred reps a day at different positions. Still, can't raise either arm unsupported above shoulder level...

It makes me wonder whether hitting the makiwara and the bag for years in my youth have anything to do with it.

View attachment 397386
Hmmmmm....you think!