How I prepare my knees for 8 western mountain backpacking trips per year...at age 77

Wow that video content is amazing. I wonder where or how I can try that out.

Thanks for the idea.

If your local gym doesn't have that piece of equipment you can buy a harness and sled from Amazon or other exercise retailer. The weights can he found at most any sporting goods retailer.

Another option is to attach a harness to a tire and add weight to it.

Check out his YouTube channel. Lots of great content with additional exercises.

Watching and reading this closely. Have a complete tendon tear in my left foot which I'm waiting to have fixed. Since happening, the favoring and changed walking style has put some added pressure on my knee. Foot Surgery scheduled for after my Coues hunt in November. I'll be down for 2 months in a boot and then rehab begins. I'm just glad I didn't draw a coveted Az Archery Elk tag this year as there's no way I could've handled it.
Knee replacement scheduled in Feb. After all hunts done. Can't draw 5BN archery elk anymore with 13 pts. Blew my 13 pts on a late rifle elk hunt in 5A. 23 pts for lope. Blew pts for deer 2018 Dec. Whitetail in unit 23. Have 6 pts for deer already with Hunter safety and dedicated hunter pts. Have shot 1 bull and 5 cow elk in 5BN archery. Won't happen again. Two resident buddies haven't drawn In 5 years. Have 20 pts for Az. Bighorn also. I'm going to die with a lot of points in 7 states !

Truly IMPRESSIVE Len!

I'm 52 and in the best shape of my adult life but no where near your abilities.

I experienced a little knee pain last year while hauling an elk qtr. down hill.

I do the stretches above daily and didn't think of doing it often though out the hunt.

I've incorporated a HIIT routine into my prep this year as well as these two from the Knee's over Toe's guy. He is a huge proponent of pushing / pulling a weighted sled and deep lunges which stretch the legs.

The weighted sled push / pull is a great leg workout combined with excellent cardio so it builds some efficiency into your workout.

What kind of sled and or brand do You use

Truly IMPRESSIVE Len!

I'm 52 and in the best shape of my adult life but no where near your abilities.

I experienced a little knee pain last year while hauling an elk qtr. down hill.

I do the stretches above daily and didn't think of doing it often though out the hunt.

I've incorporated a HIIT routine into my prep this year as well as these two from the Knee's over Toe's guy. He is a huge proponent of pushing / pulling a weighted sled and deep lunges which stretch the legs.

The weighted sled push / pull is a great leg workout combined with excellent cardio so it builds some efficiency into your workout.

I like the sled exercise, but with a TKR there's no way I can bend my knee all the way, the mechanics of it will not allow me to bend it like that. I'm at least 3-4" away from bending the knee replacement as far as the normal knee and if I ever get it even close to being bent at that angle it hurts like heck. Maybe a modified version, but I'd need a spotter just in case, but I can see where these excersises could really help if you don't have mobility issues.

What kind of sled and or brand do You use

I got this off of Amazon. There's better out there but the price was right.

I run 50 pounds of weight on mine.

Bluedot Trading Power Running Training Speed Weight Sled Push, Pull, and Drag for Athletic Exercise and Speed Improvement, Strength & Conditioning, and Cross-Training https://a.co/d/29kyHd3

Screenshot_20220930_162338_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Yes I do both. Some days I pull only but most days I push and pull for a complete leg workout plus great cardio. For a flat lander its the closest exercise I've found to replicate hiking up a steep hill regarding cardio.
Me Too! I have to drive too far for hills

You know if you want to try it before you buy find anything you have in the garage with some weight that will slide in the yard. Even a cooler with some weight in it and a rope to see what it's like. A small amount of weight will quickly tell you how it feels.

Best of luck. I'm doing a hard cardio day tomorrow; sled, HIIT and the eliptical.

Specific recommendations from the Tennessee Titans team physician as he was treating my knee meniscus issues several years ago were quite concise: quadriceps, hamstring strengthening exercises (on weight machines @ local gym).

As somebody who is finishing up his PT from knee surgery 8 months ago, (right lateral meniscus sutured repair, open surgery) I feel this post should be pinned! Also, that video they do with the sled is exactly what the physical therapist has me do twice a week now.

I had knee issues so bad about 6 yrs ago, I could barely walk after riding for an hour in my truck. I took the stuff the dr prescribed and it ate a hole in my stomach. About 3 years ago after driving over an hour to a job, I could barely deal with it. The next day I bought some CBD oil, took it that afternoo, that night and the next morning. I-Drive back to that job and spent 6 hrs on my knees doing ground work for a bar (plumbing). I did not have any more pain and still today as long as I keep doing it no pain