How I prepare my knees for 8 western mountain backpacking trips per year...at age 77

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
We are up to 222 posts in this fourteen year old thread topic from 2008:.

"I had my right knee scoped 14 months ago in early 2007, doing well. But last fall in Montana I couldn't walk as far or fast as I used to. Both 62 year old knees have significant arthritis.

What is an exercise that would reduce arthritic discomfort associated with extended hiking up and down.
-

-
-
I'd just like to make a comment on what has worked for me since the above discussion began back in 2008. And remember that I am allergic to all inflammation reducing NSAIDS...aspirin, Aleve, Ibuprofin, etc.

My knees will be 77 years old in four months. Last week I COMFORTABLY completed a solo five day, 57 mile, 12,000 vertical foot both gain and loss backpack trip in the Glacier National Park mountains. I will write about this one next month some time. Photo below.

Earlier this year I did 3 backpack trips to the Grand Canyon including a 44 mile Rim to Rim to Rim, 2 trips to the Tetons and I still have scheduled another short trip to the Tetons plus a fourth, year-2022 gruelling, hard-on-the-knees, backpack trip in the Grand Canyon in early November.

My knees worked well.

In addition to a year round conditioning program consisting of local bike rides and hill climbing on foot, I have been consistently doing a series of stretches.

I don't know the full names of these common stretches but will call them:

Squats
Touch your toes
Achilles stretch

I do these almost every day at home. They are VERY important to my knees.

On a backpack trip I do them ten times in a ten hour hiking day...especially when I feel a little twinge beginning somewhere in a knee joint.

I have also decreased my hiking tempo, and decreased the length of my stride. I also take more 5 minute breaks. I also start the hike segments at 3/4 normal tempo as a means of warming up.

I always use trekking poles.

So...a combination of stretching and strength conditioning.
From day 3 in Glacier Park 2 weeks ago.

_DSC3033.jpg

I am reading with interest. I'm 69, and have partial tears in both Meniscus. Left one is just about fully healed. I'm being treated by Orthopedic Surgeon with Hylauronic Acid (chicken comb gel in both knees), and go to him two weeks before leaving for Chama for cortizone in both knees.

I was wondering about a knee brace to support the knees while mountaineering. Doctor said it couldn't hurt, but he didn't really expound on what type of knee brace. The ones he has are about $750 each, and insurance won't cover it.

Just wondering if anyone in same boat has had good luck with any particular knee brace that can be worn while hunting that may apply lateral support to the knee.

Last edited:
Impressive, Len.

I am just a young pup at 70. TKR on both knees, and severe Asthma that does not take much to trigger it, exercise being one, both shoulders awaiting replacement, sometimes I feel I am just SOL. But, just have to keep on trucking.

Can't do more than a mile walk a day, and this is my password to the garage, my hobby machine shop. A couple of hundred reps a day at different positions. Still, can't raise either arm unsupported above shoulder level...

It makes me wonder whether hitting the makiwara and the bag for years in my youth have anything to do with it.

20220928_222430.jpg

Watching and reading this closely. Have a complete tendon tear in my left foot which I'm waiting to have fixed. Since happening, the favoring and changed walking style has put some added pressure on my knee. Foot Surgery scheduled for after my Coues hunt in November. I'll be down for 2 months in a boot and then rehab begins. I'm just glad I didn't draw a coveted Az Archery Elk tag this year as there's no way I could've handled it.

After messing up both rotator cuffs and having problems with even rading my arms, I set out on a shoulder conditioning program that has pretty much eliminated the issues. Some I picked up on a snow boarding site on how to prep for snow season, another from my first rotator cuff operation using Thera bands, and some smaller dumbbells.

I am reading with interest. I'm 69, and have partial tears in both Meniscus. Left one is just about fully healed. I'm being treated by Orthopedic Surgeon with Hylauronic Acid (chicken comb gel in both knees), and go to him two weeks before leaving for Chama for cortizone in both knees.

I was wondering about a knee brace to support the knees while mountaineering. Doctor said it couldn't hurt, but he didn't really expound on what type of knee brace. The ones he has are about $750 each, and insurance won't cover it.

Just wondering if anyone in same boat has had good luck with any particular knee brace that can be worn while hunting that may apply lateral support to the knee.
I used knee braces like these for years when I worked in the oil field and took martial arts and they helped me a lot. Today that knee has been replaced with a TKR and I don't need it but these things give you good support imo.

1664468900834.png

And they don't cost $750.00.

Truly IMPRESSIVE Len!

I'm 52 and in the best shape of my adult life but no where near your abilities.

I experienced a little knee pain last year while hauling an elk qtr. down hill.

I do the stretches above daily and didn't think of doing it often though out the hunt.

I've incorporated a HIIT routine into my prep this year as well as these two from the Knee's over Toe's guy. He is a huge proponent of pushing / pulling a weighted sled and deep lunges which stretch the legs.

The weighted sled push / pull is a great leg workout combined with excellent cardio so it builds some efficiency into your workout.

Truly IMPRESSIVE Len!

I'm 52 and in the best shape of my adult life but no where near your abilities.

I experienced a little knee pain last year while hauling an elk qtr. down hill.

I do the stretches above daily and didn't think of doing it often though out the hunt.

I've incorporated a HIIT routine into my prep this year as well as these two from the Knee's over Toe's guy. He is a huge proponent of pushing / pulling a weighted sled and deep lunges which stretch the legs.

The weighted sled push / pull is a great leg workout combined with excellent cardio so it builds some efficiency into your workout.

Wow that video content is amazing. I wonder where or how I can try that out.

Thanks for the idea.

Duralane. Synthetic rooster comb. I had read deal in 2012. Didn't do squat. Synthetic supposed to work 80% of the time. Cortisone/steroid shots do nothing for my left knee. Getting knee replacement in Feb.. I have to wait 6 months after cortisone shot before knee replacement. 3 months for Duralane shot after cortisone. Getting on 10/25. I'll keep you posted .

Offloading knee brace. Mine is inside left knee.