How I prepare my knees for 8 western mountain backpacking trips per year...at age 77

Got Duralane shot in knee today. They shoot something in. Suck it out then shoot in shot. I've had an off loader knee brace made for me since 2012. I found it and took with me. The brace guy there figured it out and st up for me. 👍🏼

My knees can feel this thread, lol. Only 52, but have been overweight most of my life. Two surgeries on the left knee and one on the right. The right is now bone on bone (8/10 pain just walking) and my surgeon is recommending Total knee replacement. I got a Zilretta time release steroid shot in the right knee a few weeks ago which allowed me to walk 3 miles a day and start PT to strengthen the quads and hamstrings. I also quit drinking and lost 20 lbs and still going. Knee pain is completely gone - hoping its not just the steroid shot and I can lose more weight and make it last. Most orthopaedic surgeons I talk to say weight loss and quad strengthening regimen are the best things you can do for the knees.

I've had cortisone/steroid shots in knee, elbow, shoulder, hip, all left side for years. Both knees scoped . Had surgery on elbow 15 years ago. Fine since . Tear in shoulder rotor cuff deal with . Hip I deal with. Knee has had problem since 4 yrs. high school football. 15 years motocross. Accidents, etc. Bla bla bla. Left knee x rayed 3 weeks ago. Way worse than 2012. Inside is now bone on bone . The Duralane shot and off loader know brace have felt good for last two days. I just want to get thru Dec..I don't want anymore pain walking downhill or level ground. Opening day deer season 10/15 was ok with two walking sticks going uphill, tolerable level ground. Murder going back down Mtn.. I've delt with it for 20 yrs. I've had enough. Looking forward to knee replacement 1/2023.

I hear ya, my parents take it for knee and back pain and are the biggest anti drug people you wanted to meet but are now coverts.

I'd love to try it but being in a DOT regulated job with random testing I'm not taking that chance.
I have class A comercial licence . Whole different gig.

In a post above, @Slick8 put me on to the use of a weighted sled for mountain prep and more importantly for knee health. There is a national fitness chain near me that uses on in all its locations so I had a chance to see and try one.

Then I quickly got one delivered from Amazon.. Mine cost $189 and for weights I bought some "Sand-in-a-tube" from Menards for $3.99 per 45 pounds, you know those barbell plates are VERY expensive.

I am using 4x45=180# on my sled on my basement carpet at this time. Weight needed depends greatly on how slippery is your floor surface.

I have ordered a 3' x 32' carpet runner so I can protect the existing carpet surface from wear.

30 feet forward pushing, then pull (while walking backwards) back using a waist belt 30 feet to start point. Ten reps = 200 yards -- includes a good cardio session plus stretching motion on plantar fascia, achilles, hamstring, calf, thigh, etc.

Training sled

Menards Sand in a tube

20221024_115401.jpg
20221024_114115.jpg

Thanks for posting hyper-extended my bad knee in July and sprained the same bad ankle in the same injury at 65 been tough to get back to a lot of activity appreciate the post. Trying to get my walking back up to 3-5 miles a day at a brisk pace, with no knee or ankle braces it has been tough. Did another light sprain of my ankle when I stepped into a hole about a month ago so another reset, back to the wobble board. My atheletic endeavors in my youth and associated injuries have caught up with me now. Was trying to get mileage up with a pack to 5-10 miles prior to the injury.

Sunday I packed out a buck I shot in North fork. It was 19 degrees when I got there. I was 11 miles from Yellowstone Park. I was really apprehensive about hiking up the canyon. I'm getting knee replacement in Jan.. I had my offloading knee brace on and 2 trekking poles. If I didn't have them and brace I think I'd of blown my knee out. I got wobbly last quarter mile and had hard time keeping my balance. Down hill sections had my knee screaming . I thanked the Lord when I got to my truck. No accidents. My buddy who is 32 years younger was saying how heavy his pack was. He had two hind quarters 🙄
IMG_20221107_091215695.jpg
71419~2.jpeg
IMG_20221106_080854766_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that's awesome. I headed out to NM on Thursday for a Saturday opening.

I'm a little appreshensive as I've developed an issue with my left ankle that appears to be from over exerition in hunt prep. I'm treating it now and will take additonal precauations on the hunt.

Wow, that's awesome. I headed out to NM on Thursday for a Saturday opening.

I'm a little appreshensive as I've developed an issue with my left ankle that appears to be from over exerition in hunt prep. I'm treating it now and will take additonal precauations on the hunt.
Don't over do it ! Your ankle will tell you if your are !