How heavy can we go in the .308 Win?

mindcrime

What is the heaviest bullet weight that one can "accurately" fire in a .308 Win. with a 1/12 twist, 26 inch barrel, and the projectile still remain stable at the magical 1000 yard range?

The reason I'm asking is that I have 450, 210gr. Bergers left sitting on my shelf after I sold my .300 Win Mag Sendero, and wondered how well they'd do in a Rem 700VS. I am assuming a muzzle velocity of 2400 fps. Thanks for any comments!
cool.gif

I'm pretty sure they won't work with out a 10 maybe an 11 twist. The 12 twist will work up to 168, maybe 178 or 180 maybe, beyond that you will be lucky. My 308 won't even stabilize a 180 with the 12.

Brent, I have noticed that Hornady listed loads for their 190 gr. BTHP Match bullet in the Fourth Edition of their manual for the .308. The loads here chronographed at 2400-2500fps max. from a 1/12 twist, 22 inch tube. Unfortunately, they don't give any indication to what the average 100 yard group size was!
rolleyes.gif

Just as a curiousity, there is a member of the Varmint Hunters Association(of which I am a member too) by the name of Bruce Artus who has been launching 220gr. Matchkings and making repeatable confirmed hits out to around 3100 yards......with a .308 Ackley Improved and a 1/8 twist Obermeyer barrel. Who really needs laser trajectory and barrel burning?
wink.gif

MC,
my Load From a Disk program says that a 190gr SMK still needs a 10 twist up to 2790 fps then a 11 twist will work beyond this up to 3190 and then a 12 twist will work.

I'll bet that's one hell of a tapored base on that 308 he's got there.
grin.gif

I can just picture the bullet path now, they probably have to tip the target stand backwards so it doesn't tear the target vertically on impact.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I shoot the 190SMK moly coated, in my Remm700VS, 26" 1-12. I'm using 43gr RL-15, and getting repeatable .5moa accuracy out to 200 yards. That's as far as I've shot them.

Before starting, I spoke with one of the guys at Sierra. After my inquiry, he put together a load at a relatively slow 2200fps, and it printed 3/8" groups at 200 yards, in .308 case, 1-12 twist, in their testing facility.

MM

[ 11-23-2002: Message edited by: MontanaMarine ]

I have two 308's with 1 in 12 twist barrels and they will both stabalize the 190 MK. to 600 yards at least. I just prefer a 155 MK at 2900, or a 175 MK at 2700 fps for 1000 yard work. While I am not recoil sensitive shooting 50 of the 190's from the prone position will work on me by time I am done.

Shoot Safe Shoot Straight.....RiverRat

MC,
I have the book, I was thinking of that setup when posting
smile.gif
Those 3-4" tall mounts need an awfull tall cheek piece.
grin.gif
If they shortened the barrel to 10-15" they could probably get a little more comfortable, but of course 2000 yards might be the limit then.
grin.gif

Mr. Artus definitely gives new meaning to the phrases "lobbing them in" and "fire for affect!"
grin.gif

Brent, good to find out you're a "reader" too. I can't read enough of this stuff!

MM, you need to get a copy of that book! No rangefinding reticles here, as the target would be out of the sight picture even with meager 20 moa bases.

Too bad I don't have any decent long range shooting areas around here(guess I have to go to Nashville to see FatBoy).

Thanks for all your responses Brent, MM, and Gary. Sounds like I need to buy a box of 500, 175gr. Matchkings. Guess the Bergers will sit there until I get a 30 Super Thumper(no need to waste them).
wink.gif

Brent, the tapered bases are obviously tapered!!!
grin.gif
My Baer/Lightforce 20moa tapered bases have nothing on his 5 degree tapered bases!!! If you ask Mrs. Claus for the book titled "Precision Shooting at 1000 yards" for Christmas there is a three part article on Mr. Artus and his setup. It's very cool!!!
cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts