How heavy are your packs and for how many days do you go out?

Lukedc

I am planning a back pack hunt for the coming first rifle season which is 5 days long. Right now my pack weighs in at about 49lbs and the darn thing is bursting at the seams, that includes the weight of my rifle. I am packing in a 3 season tent as well. My 5 days of food consist of mountain house and candy/jerky. Most of this gear will be left at my spike camp and I will only have with me what I need to cut up a pack a critter. How do you think i am doing on weight? How heavy are your packs for a similar length trip and any gear tips?

Sounds like you're in the ball park. I did a 5 day mountain goat hunt with a buddy who drew a tag last year. My pack was about 43 pounds but I didn't carry a rifle and my tent was only 1lb.
I drew a tag this year and will be carrying a rifle and a better 3 lb tent. If all else stays the same with food, water etc.. I'll be right around 55 pounds.

Sounds like we take similar food.

I'd be happy to stay under 50 lbs with a rifle. You can really cut some things out to lighten the load but some creature comforts are nice to have if you're in shape!

Things I took last time and didn't need:
Camp chair
Seasoning for food
Second water filter

Things I wouldn't go without:
Headlamp
Camp shoes/ lightweight sandals
Trekking poles
Gravity water filter (platypus)
Phone charger

Also don't double up on items like spotting scopes and tripods, water filters, and things that can be shared.

Last edited:
Here's my deer hunting packing list, and weights (in ounces)
It includes everything I need to stay out for a week in the mountain West.
45 pounds, including rifle and all the clothes I am wearing. (Doesn't include food, which is an additional 1.6 pounds/day, or water.)

Clothing:
Julbo Venturi sunglasses with Zebra light lenses and cloth bag 1.4
Smartwool Merino boxer briefs (2 pair 2.6 ounces each) 5.6
Firstlite Obsidian pants 22.6
Kuiu Peloton 200 zip-off bottoms 8.5
Orange Icebreaker merino t-shirt 5.5
Orange Patagonia Nano Air light hoodie 11.8
Orange Voormi merino beanie 1.1
Orange Buff 1.3
Orange Cap (LL Bean Technical Upland Cap) 2.2
Zamberlan Lynx Gtx mid height Hunting Boots 64.4
Patagonia Expedition wool socks x2 (7 ounces per pair) 14
DeFeet ET Dura glove 2.2
Dachstein fingerless mittens with fold over cap 5.3
Kennetrek gaiters 5
Patagonia Fitzroy Down Parka (Orange) 21.1
Orange Patagonia M10 Anorak 8
Kuiu Teton Rain Pants 6.9
REI eVent rain mitts 1.3

Clothing subtotal: 188.2 Clothing Weight in Pounds=11.7625

Shelter and Sleeping Gear
Locus Gear HAPI Pyramid tent 16 (Tent 11.6 8 stakes 3.8 Trekking Pole Tip 0.5)
Mountain Laurel Designs Duo cuben fiber groundsheet (also used for meat processing or as a pack rain cover) 3.5
X-Therm inflatable pad with bungie cord 15.6
Klymit Cush inflatable pillow with fastex buckle strap (also used for glassing and as rear bag for shooting) 3.9
Marmot Helium 15 degree down bag 32.5

Shelter and sleeping gear subtotal: 71.5 Weight in Pounds=4.46875

Cooking and Water
MSR Reactor stove with 1 liter pot and small gas canister, fire steel and small pack towel 22.5
MSR Hydromedary 3 liter water bladder and tube 6.1
Chlorine Dioxide Water purification tablets 1
MSR Trailshot water filter 5
Titanium spoon with long handle 0.4
Titanium cup with lid 2.5
Gallon ziplock freezer bag for trash. 0.4
Insulated meal pouch cozy (Wilderness Dining brand) 1.8
Critter proof food bag (Ursack Minor) 2.7

Cooking and Water Weight subtotal: 42.4 in Pounds=2.65

Backpack and Trekking Poles
Leki Speedlock Carbon Ti trekking poles with photo adapter 15
Seek Outside Brooks Backpack 77

Backpack and trekking Poles subtotal 92 Weight in Pounds=5.75

Personal Gear
Lighter 0.7
Hinderer XM-24 Folding Knife 7.7
Smith's Knife Sharpener 0.8
Coast FL75R Rechargeable LED Headlamp 4 (Headlamp 3.2 Spare batteries 0.8)
Diaper wipes (or toilet paper for cold weather) 3
Travel toothbrush and Toms toothpaste 1.6
Hand sanitizer 0.8
Map 3.8
Compass (Silva Guide) 1.6
First Aid Kit 13.1
Sun screen 1.4
10 meters of 1.3 mil cord 0.9
Litesmith chair 2.8

Personal Gear subtotal 42.2 Weight in Pounds=2.6375

Camera and Electronics
Ricoh GR Camera 8.7
Suunto Ambit 2 Watch 3.1
Delorme InReach 6.7
Android phone (Galaxy S8+) with Backcountry Navigator GPS app, and Ballistics apps 7.8
Spare battery for phone with integral USB plug (Jackery Bolt 6,000 mAh) 6
Earphones in cuben fiber bag 1.4

Camera and Electronics subtotal 33.7Weight in Pounds=2.10625

Shooting Gear, Optics, and Kill Kit
Christensen TI/TH Rifle (6.5 Creedmoor); Kahles 624i scope; Neopod bipod; and Slogan rubber sling with pouch. 146.4 (Rifle 99.4 ounces; Scope 33.6 ounces; Bipod 4.2 ounces; Sling 6.2 ounces; Talley Rings 5.7 ounces)
Soundgear Earplugs with extra batteries 1.7
Traditions muzzle protector gun condoms 0.2
Ammunition carrier and 6 rounds of ammunition 7.4
Zeiss 8x32 Victory binoculars 21.8
Outdoor Vision bino harness 12.9
Kowa Prominar 15-45x 55mm spotting scope in neoprene case 32.7
Granite Peak Tripod 9.7
Sig Kilo 2400 Rangefinder 8.1
Windicator 1.4
TAG Game bags with latex gloves 9.3
Hunting Tags

Shooting Gear and Kill Kit subtotal 251.6Weight in Pounds=15.725

From Skin Out Total Weight 721.6 (not including water or food) in Pounds=45.1

Food 1.6 pounds/day

Last edited:
That's a decent weight to start. Much of your comfort or lack thereof will be based off of your physical conditioning. Couple of tips:
1) If going with anyone, compare your gear lists. Remove multiple redundancies on the list.
2) Weigh everything you have, put it in a spreadsheet. If you decide you want to go lighter with your equipment, put the cost to go lighter for a specific item. Attack items with the best $ to weight ratio. Example. You currently have a 9# sleeping bag(which I hope you don't). For $300 you can buy a 3# sleeping bag to meet your needs. You are spending $50 per pound. Spend money at highest weight savings first to reduce pack weight.

Here's my deer hunting packing list, and weights (in ounces)
It includes everything I need to stay out for a week in the mountain West.
45 pounds, including rifle and all the clothes I am wearing. (Doesn't include food, which is an additional 1.6 pounds/day, or water.)

Clothing:
Julbo Venturi sunglasses with Zebra light lenses and cloth bag 1.4
Smartwool Merino boxer briefs (2 pair 2.6 ounces each) 5.6
Firstlite Obsidian pants 22.6
Kuiu Peloton 200 zip-off bottoms 8.5
Orange Icebreaker merino t-shirt 5.5
Orange Patagonia Nano Air light hoodie 11.8
Orange Voormi merino beanie 1.1
Orange Buff 1.3
Orange Cap (LL Bean Technical Upland Cap) 2.2
Zamberlan Lynx Gtx mid height Hunting Boots 64.4
Patagonia Expedition wool socks x2 (7 ounces per pair) 14
DeFeet ET Dura glove 2.2
Dachstein fingerless mittens with fold over cap 5.3
Kennetrek gaiters 5
Patagonia Fitzroy Down Parka (Orange) 21.1
Orange Patagonia M10 Anorak 8
Kuiu Teton Rain Pants 6.9
REI eVent rain mitts 1.3

Clothing subtotal: 188.2 Clothing Weight in Pounds=11.7625

Shelter and Sleeping Gear
Locus Gear HAPI Pyramid tent 16 (Tent 11.6 8 stakes 3.8 Trekking Pole Tip 0.5)
Mountain Laurel Designs Duo cuben fiber groundsheet (also used for meat processing or as a pack rain cover) 3.5
X-Therm inflatable pad with bungie cord 15.6
Klymit Cush inflatable pillow with fastex buckle strap (also used for glassing and as rear bag for shooting) 3.9
Marmot Helium 15 degree down bag 32.5

Shelter and sleeping gear subtotal: 71.5 Weight in Pounds=4.46875

Cooking and Water
MSR Reactor stove with 1 liter pot and small gas canister, fire steel and small pack towel 22.5
MSR Hydromedary 3 liter water bladder and tube 6.1
Chlorine Dioxide Water purification tablets 1
MSR Trailshot water filter 5
Titanium spoon with long handle 0.4
Titanium cup with lid 2.5
Gallon ziplock freezer bag for trash. 0.4
Insulated meal pouch cozy (Wilderness Dining brand) 1.8
Critter proof food bag (Ursack Minor) 2.7

Cooking and Water Weight subtotal: 42.4 in Pounds=2.65

Backpack and Trekking Poles
Leki Speedlock Carbon Ti trekking poles with photo adapter 15
Seek Outside Brooks Backpack 77

Backpack and trekking Poles subtotal 92 Weight in Pounds=5.75

Personal Gear
Lighter 0.7
Hinderer XM-24 Folding Knife 7.7
Smith's Knife Sharpener 0.8
Coast FL75R Rechargeable LED Headlamp 4 (Headlamp 3.2 Spare batteries 0.8)
Diaper wipes (or toilet paper for cold weather) 3
Travel toothbrush and Toms toothpaste 1.6
Hand sanitizer 0.8
Map 3.8
Compass (Silva Guide) 1.6
First Aid Kit 13.1
Sun screen 1.4
10 meters of 1.3 mil cord 0.9
Litesmith chair 2.8

Personal Gear subtotal 42.2 Weight in Pounds=2.6375

Camera and Electronics
Ricoh GR Camera 8.7
Suunto Ambit 2 Watch 3.1
Delorme InReach 6.7
Android phone (Galaxy S8+) with Backcountry Navigator GPS app, and Ballistics apps 7.8
Spare battery for phone with integral USB plug (Jackery Bolt 6,000 mAh) 6
Earphones in cuben fiber bag 1.4

Camera and Electronics subtotal 33.7Weight in Pounds=2.10625

Shooting Gear, Optics, and Kill Kit
Christensen TI/TH Rifle (6.5 Creedmoor); Kahles 624i scope; Neopod bipod; and Slogan rubber sling with pouch. 146.4 (Rifle 99.4 ounces; Scope 33.6 ounces; Bipod 4.2 ounces; Sling 6.2 ounces; Talley Rings 5.7 ounces)
Soundgear Earplugs with extra batteries 1.7
Traditions muzzle protector gun condoms 0.2
Ammunition carrier and 6 rounds of ammunition 7.4
Zeiss 8x32 Victory binoculars 21.8
Outdoor Vision bino harness 12.9
Kowa Prominar 15-45x 55mm spotting scope in neoprene case 32.7
Granite Peak Tripod 9.7
Sig Kilo 2400 Rangefinder 8.1
Windicator 1.4
TAG Game bags with latex gloves 9.3
Hunting Tags

Shooting Gear and Kill Kit subtotal 251.6Weight in Pounds=15.725

From Skin Out Total Weight 721.6 (not including water or food) in Pounds=45.1

Food 1.6 pounds/day

Wow thats an intense breakdown. Its interesting to see how it all adds up. I'm going to weigh all my stuff individually and see where I am at. I like in particular that you only take 6 rounds, I was thinking the same for myself.

Sounds like you're in the ball park. I did a 5 day mountain goat hunt with a buddy who drew a tag last year. My pack was about 43 pounds but I didn't carry a rifle and my tent was only 1lb.
I drew a tag this year and will be carrying a rifle and a better 3 lb tent. If all else stays the same with food, water etc.. I'll be right around 55 pounds.

Sounds like we take similar food.

I'd be happy to stay under 50 lbs with a rifle. You can really cut some things out to lighten the load but some creature comforts are nice to have if you're in shape!

Things I took last time and didn't need:
Camp chair
Seasoning for food
Second water filter

Things I wouldn't go without:
Headlamp
Camp shoes/ lightweight sandals
Trekking poles
Gravity water filter (platypus)
Phone charger

Also don't double up on items like spotting scopes and tripods, water filters, and things that can be shared.

I agree with your list. I have been on the fence about the trekking poles. I think I am just stubborn and not getting them because everyone says I should. So guess I better smart up.

I agree with your list. I have been on the fence about the trekking poles. I think I am just stubborn and not getting them because everyone says I should. So guess I better smart up.
Yeah man, they sure are nice, especially if you're in anything steep or carrying a heavy pack. I didn't like the thought of something extra to carry and teased one of my buddies on an elk hunt a few years ago for using them. I ended up shooting a bull that trip and on the second hike in to pack it out, my friend stayed at camp to cook and convinced me to try them. Needless to say, I had to eat my words and I've used them ever since.

Last edited:
I'm with you, I scoffed at them for a long time, until I killed a bull and had a very steep downhill packout to the river trail. On an uphill packout, even with a hind quarter and trimmings, they get in my way. On a steep downhill I don't trust my bad knee not to hyperextend again, which is how I tore my ACL the first time (snowboarding). As proud as I am, my ego takes much less of a hit using trekking poles than it would if I had to be rescued, at great expense, by Mt Search and Rescue, THAT would be embarrassing and something to scoff at.

Pack weight for 5 days (no water, no rifle, no binos) is right at 45 lbs (including my food). Finished 7RM is at 8.5 lbs scoped. Water fluctuates as I travel in/out. Where I really splurge on item weight, but save on total pack weight, is binoculars. I have elected to forego spotting scope and 10x binos in favor of 15x Leica binos at 46 oz plus Bino bag. No need for range finder, in the binos!!

I'm doing a 14 day trip this year and backpacking in 11 miles, but this is an archery hunt so I get to leave the 14lb rifle behind. My pack will be right around the 50-55 range with food. We usually carry enough supplies for 7 days and re-supply half way through when we pack our first Bull out (optimistic). My buddy and I always go through our gear together to make sure we're not bringing multiples of cookware, stoves, filters etc. I'll carry the msr stove and he'll carry the fuel and so on, so that we share the load. Advice, wrap a 60 lb bag of concrete mix or sand in a towel or black bag and load it in your pack. Do some hikes with it on and do lots of air squats with the pack on. This will help build those needed muscles and also help with finding any faulty pack issues. I like to do this 3-4 months in advance to my hunt. Switching from a 65 lb pack of sand to your regular 49 lb pack will be a sweet treat for your body when that trip comes up

I'm doing a 14 day trip this year and backpacking in 11 miles, but this is an archery hunt so I get to leave the 14lb rifle behind. My pack will be right around the 50-55 range with food. We usually carry enough supplies for 7 days and re-supply half way through when we pack our first Bull out (optimistic). My buddy and I always go through our gear together to make sure we're not bringing multiples of cookware, stoves, filters etc. I'll carry the msr stove and he'll carry the fuel and so on, so that we share the load. Advice, wrap a 60 lb bag of concrete mix or sand in a towel or black bag and load it in your pack. Do some hikes with it on and do lots of air squats with the pack on. This will help build those needed muscles and also help with finding any faulty pack issues. I like to do this 3-4 months in advance to my hunt. Switching from a 65 lb pack of sand to your regular 49 lb pack will be a sweet treat for your body when that trip comes up

Yea good advice! I will be going solo, so I have to take everything for myself. I was going to start doing some ruck marches early in the AM. Or Ill just do that while I am out shed hunting.

I'm with you, I scoffed at them for a long time, until I killed a bull and had a very steep downhill packout to the river trail. On an uphill packout, even with a hind quarter and trimmings, they get in my way. On a steep downhill I don't trust my bad knee not to hyperextend again, which is how I tore my ACL the first time (snowboarding). As proud as I am, my ego takes much less of a hit using trekking poles than it would if I had to be rescued, at great expense, by Mt Search and Rescue, THAT would be embarrassing and something to scoff at.

Pack weight for 5 days (no water, no rifle, no binos) is right at 45 lbs (including my food). Finished 7RM is at 8.5 lbs scoped. Water fluctuates as I travel in/out. Where I really splurge on item weight, but save on total pack weight, is binoculars. I have elected to forego spotting scope and 10x binos in favor of 15x Leica binos at 46 oz plus Bino bag. No need for range finder, in the binos!!

Thats a good scoop, I went and pulled the trigger on a pair off amazon yesterday. As for the binos.... wish I could afford a decent 2in1 set up like that. I am debating if I will be taking my rangefinder along or leave it.

I would NOT leave the Range finder behind unless, you plan on taking only 300-350 Yard shots,.. maximum ! Most Bullets drop like a Rock past 400 yards! Best rethink that idea,.. IMHO

We pack horses into the Bob Marshall 20 some miles to base camp and then we backpack to spike camps Our personal gear and food is in our packs and limited to 50lbs that way we can put 3 backpacks on 1 pack horse 50 lbs for a 10 day hunt is not hard to do with the gear nowadays