How good are Vortex Rings

rocknwell

does anybody have any experience with the Vortex scope rings? I'm talking about the regular rings. I bought a PST 4-16 and I am wanting to get a solid set of rings without spending a butt load of money. I did save $120 on the scope, so that frees up some cash, but still...you know how it is. I've heard the Weaver tactical rings are good. What about the vortext precision matched (a bit pricey though)? What do you all suggest?

Their Matched pairs are made by Seekins Precision and are pretty decent (made to precise tolerances from 7075-T6 aluminum billet). Their regular ones, are well, regular ones (made from weaker 6061-T6 aluminum and not matched)...

I doubt Seekins makes the tactical ones and would recommend spending a little more on a good matched pair if at all possible. You can get the EGW HD rings (which are made using the same process as the Vortex Matched pair (Seekins). I was able to pick the 0.850" HD's up from Optics Planet for $93 shipped. Otherwise I was going to buy the Vortex Matched Pair (Seekins).

EGW 30 MM Practical / Tactical Aluminum Scope Mount Rings FREE S&H 61100, 61101, 61102, 61000. Evolution Gun Works Riflescope Mounts, Rings & Bases.
(the 0.850" are $125 rings, but add them to your cart and you will see they are $91.99)

EGW HD Tactical Aluminum Rings .850" Ring Height: Evolution Gun Works Inc. (you can read about how they make the HD rings)

I wish I could afford stainless steel or titanium rings and bases, but sounds like you and I are in the same boat. For our price range, it's 7075-T6 for us :rolleyes:

Could you please tell me why you don't like the burris XTR tactical rings? I haven't come across a negative review on them yet for durability, so I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Also I have a new question: could anybody tell me if I could get away with low rings (.25 inch) instead of medium (.5in) or higher) with a Vortex PST with 50mm objective on a rem 700 BDL? at least I think it's a BDL. so i'll admit i'm kind of not in the country right now and i'm just excited to buy stuff for my rifle. I should PROBABLY wait to get home to measure it but...hey, you know...if someone already knows then that's just fine with me :) Thank you.

Actually it may be the rem 700 sps. I can't remember clearly. I didn't shoot it much before I deployed. I don't think that really matters though. it has the stock sporter barrel on it.

I bought a set of the XTR rings when they first came out. As for appearance, they looked good with a nice anodizing that was even and a good matte finish. I mounted them up on my rifle and torqued the 1/2" nut down to 65 inch pounds as is standard with these type rings. I don't recall seeing anything different for torque specs from Burris. My scope fit fine in the rings but when threading the cap screws down, the metal actually felt soft, softer than other aluminum rings I had. Afterword, I removed the rings from the scope base and noticed that the 1/2" nut had scored the clamping foot, left a nice little ring where the nut tightened against it. This confirmed my suspicion that the metal was soft. So this just led to me being skeptical about the overall durability and quality of the material the rings were made with. I never really gave them a chance after that. I used them for a short while until I found other rings I felt were better quality to replace them with.

I still have the XTR's sitting on my shelf. I actually ended up backing the 1/2" nut off and placing a cheap washer between the nut and the clamping foot so that subsequent tightening of the nut wouldn't lead to further scoring of the clamp. But like I said, I haven't really gave them a chance to perform and definately haven't trusted them to hold my scope for any length of time.

These were original rings though, so improvements may have been made. I'm just not going to spend any more money on these particular rings for a serious duty grade rifle. jI stick with the Badger, Seekins, and Vortex which have proven to be of the highest quality. Nightforce rings would be great as well as many other companies' rings.

Geb

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.