How fast did weapons and ammo technology really advance and when did it happen?

Really enjoyed this post but I would suggest that what we have today from 1918 are refinements in materials and chemistry. The big breakthroughs were rifled barrels from smooth bores, chemical ignition caps, primed shells and breach loading rifles. For the man in the street , mass production pioneered by the Springfield Arms Co. The telescopic sight as an add on enabled improvements in accuracy for the average shooter.

So is the next evolution the "smart" rifle that any bozo can pick up push a button, target acquired, calculated, rifle self adjusts for atmospheric conditions, elevation, temperature and so on? Bullet becomes "smart" and tracks to acquired target regardless of aim? Wait a minute, I think that was in a movie few years back? Then again Star Trek devices are now commonplace.

So is the next evolution the "smart" rifle that any bozo can pick up push a button, target acquired, calculated, rifle self adjusts for atmospheric conditions, elevation, temperature and so on? Bullet becomes "smart" and tracks to acquired target regardless of aim? Wait a minute, I think that was in a movie few years back? Then again Star Trek devices are now commonplace.

That's exactly what the Military is looking for

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.