How far to kill an elk with a .243?

Throughout the history of mankind more animals have been harvested with a flying stick than by any other ballistics means. Today's hunting equipment and technology permits the harvest of game animals with a flying chunk of metal sometimes at incomprehensible distances. Some have more experience and success with this than others. Knowing your limits and the limits of your equipment will produce consistent success and choosing wisely when having multiple options is smart LR hunting. Passing that experience on while not stretching those capabilities is reputable LR hunting.

You know all of this can be said of 300 Win at 1200 yards or a 338 Lapua 1600 yards, every caliber has it's range your pushing it and yourself. I've seen dozens of elk easily and cleanly taken with a 243, energy means bumpkis when you drive a bullet through both it's lungs and make a couple inch hole in them, that's all we do at longer range with larger cal same goes for smaller cals at closer ranges.

In the dozens of hunters I see a year take elk I see more issues with guys packing magnums that they can't handle that guys with deer rifle that they can shoot blind folded, give my a guy with a worn out 243 any day over a guy with a shiny new magnum!!!!

Your right about that some times you just cant get any closer...........................and thats when having the ability and Skill to take the long shot makes all the difference. Im not there yet.

Throughout the history of mankind more animals have been harvested with a flying stick than by any other ballistics means. Today's hunting equipment and technology permits the harvest of game animals with a flying chunk of metal sometimes at incomprehensible distances. Some have more experience and success with this than others. Knowing your limits and the limits of your equipment will produce consistent success and choosing wisely when having multiple options is smart LR hunting. Passing that experience on while not stretching those capabilities is reputable LR hunting.

Extremely well said...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.