How far into the lands with Bergers?

Delta Hunter

Okay, I keep reading that Bergers work best seated into the lands. So far I've only seated them close to the lands, but I now want to try seating them into the lands. How far into the lands should I seat them?

the latest work that I have been doing is on a 7 mag, and I have found it's best accuracy is when I seat the bullet .004 into the lands and grooves. I have a 300 at .010. I have heard of guys going as much as .015-.020 into the lands and grooves, I personally have never had to push it that far to get what I wanted.

Okay, I keep reading that Bergers work best seated into the lands. So far I've only seated them close to the lands, but I now want to try seating them into the lands. How far into the lands should I seat them?
It depends on what your rifle likes. Some will shoot them well 0.010" into the lands, others you'll have to go up to 0.025" into the lands. You need to do some thesting and find out what your rifle likes. Always start low with your load and bring them up slowly and carefully. I like moving the bullet seating depth in 0.005" increments at a time.

Couple of ????s

Does it make the bolt hard to close when you go as much as .10 into the lands.

And do you all just use the rifle as a single shot cause when I set mine that much forward they won't fit in the magazine well!

~HF~ :D

I had a few seated .015 or so into the lands that shot ok, but the only way to get a loaded round out of the chamber was either pull the trigger first or use a rod to tap the bullet out.
Stuck tight!
Ain't doing that again!

I had a few seated .015 or so into the lands that shot ok, but the only way to get a loaded round out of the chamber was either pull the trigger first or use a rod to tap the bullet out.
Stuck tight!
Ain't doing that again!

Some how you went in way more than 0.015 thousands of an inch. When the bullets comes out it beary shows signs or marks on it. My guess is that you either got a wrong measurement or something but getting stuck like you describe does not sound right. I have had them up to 0.025" and have not yet had one stuck. This is even after kneck turnig that with my particular dies would kind of weaken the neck tension.

I shoot a 308 and use 185/190g Berger bullets. I seat them to an OAL of 3.107 and load them into the chamber. I don't know how far they are jammed into the lands because I've never measured. The OAL after loading is a bit more than 0.1 less and they come right out. Never had one stuck. They shoot exceedingly well that way.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.